Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ripped a nice little tear in my sidewall on my Maxxis Minion dhr tire while cruising down Javalina the other day. The actual hole through to the inside is only about 1/4 inch. However the cut on the outside is closer to 3/4. Anyhow, I patched the tire tonight with a Hutchison tubless tire patch, which are thick like a car tire patch. It is holding just fine, but when I pump up the tire with stan's in it, the tear kind of pooches out, like a mouth. I'm wondering if it is safe to ride on, or if maybe I can also put a patch on the outside to help hold it together (can I even patch the outside?). Also if it's too unstable, should I just run a tube with a boot in it. The tire doesn't feel soft where the patch is, but the pooched out part is a bit disconcerting.This sucks because it's a new tire with only two rides on it, and I'd like to save it if I can. Money's too tight to burn right now, as I just found out we'll be getting an extra 12 weeks of this year until the economy recovers.
Maybe after cardiac hill gets re-routed, we could get a group together and put all the sharp rocks in a tumbler to smooth out the sharp edges.;)

Thanks,
Ken

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I've had decent success with sewing the tear up. I just use dental floss and a leather sewing needle. Bonus feature; your tire is minty fresh :)

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
How about super glue or a similar product that welds rubber? The 99 cent store has it and it will cost you a buck and change. Just glue it and let it set and you shouldn't have need for sutures.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,979 Posts
kenbentit said:
I've had decent success with sewing the tear up. I just use dental floss and a leather sewing needle. Bonus feature; your tire is minty fresh :)
Good idea, althought you don't have to use dental floss. The problem with most "patches" is that when you have "air pressure vs. patches", air pressure usally wins. It pushes them out and finds a way to screw it up. This is why patching tires is largely ineffective. On the other hand, some kind of patch may still be needed to help keep the air in.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up sewing up the tear, covering it with rubber cement, and using a car tire patch on both sides. I had to buff the outside of the tire to get it clean enough to stick well. It held 55psi overnight, and the repair feels pretty solid. We'll see how it holds up to my lack of steeze. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts