Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jay
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey -

I've been riding tubeless this spring/summer for the first time and have been stoked. I realized, however, before going on a ride yesterday that the sidewalls on my tires are starting to show some consistent and widespread abrasion - even to the point that my rear tire had several lines of moisture where the sealant was starting to work its way through.

I decided to skip the ride since I didn't have any spares and see if the tires were still filled this morning - they might have lost a few psi, but nothing major.

My question is: is this a clear sign that I need some new tires or is this a normal part of the wear cycle? The tires are S-works purgatories and I'm riding moderate terrain - some rocky sections but nothing too abrasive. The tread still looks solid and I'd hate to spring for a full swap if I don't have to but I'm also trying to avoid opening a tire up completely on a longer ride.

I know there are a lot of variables to consider, but would love to hear any advice/experience.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
It can be a normal part of wear, depending on the terrain of course. Once the sidewalls are abraded enough to start weeping sealant it's usually time to pony up for new rubber. You may be able to get some more time out of your current set, you may not. Like you said, lots of variables. But if the sidewalls were sealed up and not weeping before, and they are now, you're probably close to the end of the trail with those tires. I'd certainly get as new set asap and at least have them on hand.

Your call.

Good Dirt

G

·
Another thing to consider is that you are running S-Works tires which have notoriously thin side walls to save weight. I had been told by several mechanics to use tons of extra sealant and go through some addtional set-up steps if I was going to use S-Works tires because those side-wall are known to seep...

I, myself, chose not to use S-Works tires cause I have had terrible luck with sidewall tears even when running tubes.

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't ran S-Works tires but I have experience with Maxxis Aspens Race tires (pretty thin sidewalls).

I usually put liquid latex (from craft stores) and paint it around the outer sidewalls of the tires just an inch before the knobs and right to the grove where it meets the rim. But it does add weight. Im not a WW so I dont mind carry a few grams as long as its not on my body.

It helps with burping when dropping or jumping and it protects you from rock gardens with sharp rocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.