Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, basic(dumb) question.. I have a 04' Trek 8000, with Bontrager Jones ACX K... First off.. those are tubeless? right?

i am currently looking for new tires, so do i need to look for tubeless tires? are tubeless tires only able to go on certain rims/vice versa/ tubes wont fit on these rims?

or can u just easily swap any tires onto these rims?

What is the deal with Stans.. i keep reading all about this.. what exactly is it.

sorry i know these questions are ridiculous, but hopefully someone can smack some sense into me. thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
roll122 said:
Ok, basic(dumb) question.. I have a 04' Trek 8000, with Bontrager Jones ACX K... First off.. those are tubeless? right?
Your tires and wheels are not tubeless. There is a tubeless version of the ACX but it is not speced on the 8000.

roll122 said:
i am currently looking for new tires, so do i need to look for tubeless tires? are tubeless tires only able to go on certain rims/vice versa/ tubes wont fit on these rims?

or can u just easily swap any tires onto these rims?
In general, you can run either type tire on either type rim. Tubeless (UST) tires need to to be used on UST rims to run them tubeless. You need tubes if you use UST tires on standard rims or standard tires on any rim. Be aware that UST tires are heavier and usually cost more.

roll122 said:
What is the deal with Stans.. i keep reading all about this.. what exactly is it.
Stans and other DIY tubeless methods are a with the run standard tube tires without tubes. It does not work with every tire/rim combo and is not for the novice. I do not recommend it as the tires and rims are not designed to be used without tubes.

roll122 said:
sorry i know these questions are ridiculous, but hopefully someone can smack some sense into me. thanks in advance
Good questions. If you don't ask, you don't learn.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Tubless

shiggy??? said:
Your tires and wheels are not tubeless. There is a tubeless version of the ACX but it is not speced on the 8000.

Stans and other DIY tubeless methods are a with the run standard tube tires without tubes. It does not work with every tire/rim combo and is not for the novice. I do not recommend it as the tires and rims are not designed to be used without tubes.

Shiggy,

Could you explain this? What is the point of using Eclipse or Stans, if the tires or rims are not made to be used without tubes?

http://www.notubes.com/aboutTubeless.htm

Roll122,

As for buying tires, you don't need UST tires to have a tubless system. UST tires are heavy and a waste of money, also note that UST tires work only on UST rims. I would suggest checking out your LBS to find out what tire upgrades they suggest for your area.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Gripshift said:
shiggy??? said:

Shiggy,

Could you explain this? What is the point of using Eclipse or Stans, if the tires or rims are not made to be used without tubes?

Roll122,
The DIY tubeless kits are made so standard tires can be run without tubes on standard rims. They work for some people with some tires on some rims. They are also prone the failure: tires blowing off the rims, casing ruptures (search the boards), Plus the mess.

They are not worth it to me.

·
Registered
399 Posts
shiggy©®™ said:
The DIY tubeless kits are made so standard tires can be run without tubes on standard rims. They work for some people with some tires on some rims. They are also prone the failure: tires blowing off the rims, casing ruptures (search the boards), Plus the mess.

They are not worth it to me.
Shiggy,

Have you ever used Stans or Eclispe system?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.