Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am switching to tubeless. I have dt swiss rims with dt swiss rim strips already on the rim. I am going to try the stretched 20 inch tube method, but I was wondering if I should leave the rim strips on or remove them and put down some gorilla tape. I read somewhere that the rim strips help keep the tire from burping, but that was using a kit and not the 20 inch tube method. I am leaning towards leaving them on, but some local knowledge would help on the matter and lastly some psi recommendations. Thank you in advance for any advice or experience that could help.

Going to run continental trail kings 2.4 non tubeless tire
on Dt Swiss ex 1750 rims
175lb rider with gear

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have DT 4.2d (I believe that is the number) rims and I just put Gorilla tape and Stan's. I run ~33 psi and have not had any problems with burping.

I have run
WTB VelociRaptor kevlar and CST Caballero wire on the rear
Maxxis High Roller kevlar on the front

I know I did not answer your question but the tape alone is working for me.

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
Regular rim strips or the Swiss tubeless specific strip? DTS does make a tubeless strip setup that's very nice (ran it when I used to run DTS rims). That might make your life easier.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I used to run ghetto style with DT swiss 420's I used gorilla tape and home brew and non ust tires for a while I had better luck with ust tires, they have a stronger side wall.I always felt like the non ust's were going to role off the rim. But it worked for me for a while until I switcherd to ust rims.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Gorilla tape will work with that rim. :thumbsup:

Just a recommendation, simply buy notubes rim strips! I know it's $40ish a pair, but you'll not need to buy a tube again...ever. Well, as long as you don't tear the valve from the strip in a few months. Just don't overtighten the stem screw dealio. You'll be able to add sealant easily, remove, change tires, and most of all, you'll not have to buy two new small tubes to reseal it. It will pay for itself quickly. Just my advice. Either way, good luck

·
Registered
178 Posts
cklog said:
I used to run ghetto style with DT swiss 420's I used gorilla tape and home brew and non ust tires for a while I had better luck with ust tires, they have a stronger side wall.I always felt like the non ust's were going to role off the rim. But it worked for me for a while until I switcherd to ust rims.
Yep same here. gorilla tape works well. I always went UST with that setup. Eventually you get sick of having to ever mess with it, even if it's only every once in a while and go for the UST rims.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all. I think I am going to try leaving the rim strips on first and putting the 20 inch tube over the rim strips and rim. If that does not do the trick I will remove the rim strips and use gorilla tape, and then put on the 20 inch tube. And if that does not work I will buy either the stans strips or go with the dt swiss kit. I feel like I have spent days researching all of the options.

·
Registered
837 Posts
hey bmas7! I am running the 20 inch ghetto style and it is fine just going over the regular rim strips. I had way more trouble with the stans strips. I run 30 psi in my 2.4 with no issues. get the presta valves that have the removable end. unscrew the end and take it out. put a blast of air in there (compressor), to seat beads. now let's ride....:cornut:

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
Lose the tube and only go with the tape. Easier to insert a tube on the trail when you roll a tire off the rim, which is bound to happen. You can leave the tape in when you have the emergency tube in, and then only have to put the stem back in when you put the tubeless system back together at home. With the split tube system, you'll have to pull all your hard work out and start over again. Besides, with a roll of gorilla tape, you can do about a bazillion tires (give or take) but you'll be paying for each 20" tube you put in there. I've been full ghetto for over a year and its treated me great.

·
Registered
238 Posts
BIGHORN LEW said:
hey bmas7! I am running the 20 inch ghetto style and it is fine just going over the regular rim strips. I had way more trouble with the stans strips. I run 30 psi in my 2.4 with no issues. get the presta valves that have the removable end. unscrew the end and take it out. put a blast of air in there (compressor), to seat beads. now let's ride....:cornut:
What kind of chuck are you using to seat the beads with no valve core in the stem?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Agree with the tape only, I've got the same wheels, 2 wraps with electrical tape and 1 with Stan's yellow tape, 2 scoops of Stan's, good to go.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Use tape under the 20" tube to support it.

You can reuse the 20" tubes strips. I get about 5 tire changes out of one tube. Use a Conti tube with a threaded shrader valve. Super easy to get the tire to bead up with the bigger valve stem, and easy to add new sealant. The extra rubber on the bead interface makes for less burping at lower pressures as well.

Just tape sucks for a non tubeless wheel. Its super slick, so the tires bead is easily dislodged off the bead shelf, and there is nothing to hold the air in. At least with a tube/ strip, the rubber moves with the tire, keeping a seal.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Here's the air chuck setup I came up with (for Presta valves with removable core). The hose is from an old floor pump and it fits perfectly on the air nozzle as well as a Presta valve. This allows me to get that initial blast of air to seat the tire. I gave up on the split tube method over a year ago, tape is so much easier and makes changing tires less of a hassle. Running dedicated tubeless rims now and that's even better :yesnod:

Attachments

·
Eroding into the trail
897 Posts
textbookonewk said:
What kind of chuck are you using to seat the beads with no valve core in the stem?
Get a Presta to Schraeder adapter (screws on), which will fit any standard air chuck.
You can also use this adapter after you screw in the core to inflate your tire with a compressor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow thanks for all of the great opinions. This is why I check the az forum daily. I tried to put the tube over the rim tape, but after countless tries I could not even get the tire on the rim. There was just not enough room to stretch the tire on. So I removed the strips and used the tape with the 20 inch tubes that have removable valve cores. Everything is up and running finally. I will report back with info on psi limits and opinions. I usually ride at pmp on mondays and tuesdays from the 40th lot. It is a maroon turner 5 spot.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
DesertCrawler said:
Homosexual tubes, huh? Strange. Who'd have thought.
Its funny and strange but a tube is really gay :eek: .
If guys would understand that many factory UST rims just use one rap of tape , -----they do not use any tubes , so why do guys use tubes on their tubeless set ups ---, (are they gay ??).

One rap of gorilla tape and your done , it never slips, leaks or has any problems at all, you can even peel it up to change a broken spoke and lay it right back down and not ever worry.

The tape is cleaner and lighter , it lets the tire seat correctly on the bead like its supposed to so it wont burp , and its easy to add a tube if you rip the sidewall out of your tire and not have a messy 20" tube to pull out and contend with on the trail .

Tubes gay , yes sir.
No tubes --- "Priceless"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.