Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to give Stan's Tubeless a try but am not sure if the tire/rim combination is a good idea. Anyone done this with the Stan's kit or ghetto tubeless/split tube with this tire/rim or similar setup? Is there anything I should know going in about doing this? Thanks!

Rims: WTB SpeedDisc AM 29" DW w/ Single Eyelet 32H
Tires: Continental Mountain King 29x2.2"

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
I've run the MKs tubeless on a set of flows. They take a while to finally seal up I was at it for about 3hrs of flipping and shaking the tires to get all the holes sealed.

Conti approves their tires to be run tubeless with goop. I am on a set of Captains now only because the Conti is just too slow of a roller for me.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
MK 2.4 front on an Arch, awesome tire, I have worn out a bunch in a couple years. Easy Peasy.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Just do your research. I would recommend trying it with the kit. Put a tube in, seat one bead, pull the tube out one side. Seal the bead, remove the valve core, fill with the appropriate amount of sealant. Shake and turn. Lay one side for an hour, flip and lay on the side for an hour. Keep doing that until all holes are filled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I set a Race King up tubeless yesterday on a WTB LaserDisc Trail rim ghetto tubeless with Stans, sealed up almost instantly and hasn't lost any air so far. I would assume that the Mountain Kings on the SpeedDiscs would be pretty similar and easy to seal up.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks for all the replies. I think I'll give it a try and see what happens. What's the best way, just using Stan's complete kit with his rim strips, or getting a 24" tube? Is one better/easier than the other, or is it just about the $$$?

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I did mine, I did it by putting a layer of the yellow Stans tape down to cover the spoke holes, a layer or two of foam weather stripping to fill in the center cavity thing in the LaserDiscs (I'm not sure if the Speed Discs have this too) and a layer of packing tape on top. Then I put a tire and tube on and inflated and let sit overnight to press down the tape. After that I just threw on the Race King and some Stan's and inflated it with an air compressor, it sealed up almost instantly.

Edit: Forgot to mention, cut a little hole in the tape at the valve hole and used an old road valve stem for the valve stem.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
TwoHeadsBrewing said:
Awesome, thanks for all the replies. I think I'll give it a try and see what happens. What's the best way, just using Stan's complete kit with his rim strips, or getting a 24" tube? Is one better/easier than the other, or is it just about the $$$?
I have done ghetto tubeless with Stans yellow tape (have a road wheel set that way now on a mofo cross). I have done 26" tubes ghetto. I think now I would do the gorilla tape method if I was doing a ghetto now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.