Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting a new mtb after 22 years, I got a 29'er with a tubeless setup (Stans Arch rims with WTB Nano's). I've been riding it for just over six months, and a few weeks ago I noticed a small tear (about 6mm) in the sidewall of the tire. It didn't appear to be leaking sealant or air, and I've been riding two to three times a week with no issues.

I went to ride today, and the tire was almost flat. There was sealant around the tear. I reinflated it, and it seemed to hold pressure, but after a short ride it had lost a small amount of air. I ended up going on a 16km ride but it continued to lose more air (though it didn't lose enough to be unrideable.)

My question is: Can tires be patched, or is it not worth it. Would I be better just purchasing another tire, or, would fitting an inner tube be an alternative. It would be a shame to replace the tire, as the tread has plenty of life.

·
Registered
152 Posts
if the tire is still in good condition otherwise, then you can patch it from inside
sometime the sealant also gets old and it does not work anymore so well

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
Stans dries out after about 6 months in many cases. Check the 'Best Tubeless Brew' thread.
But you might as well patch it from the inside when you have it open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts