Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i decided to go UST/Tubeless to save weight and now that i have put Conti Mountain King 2.4 UST tires on my XM819 rims, im not sure if i made right choice.

It was very hard to get air in those tubes. Soapwater and Co2 airgun helped, but how low PSI can i run? I inflated them to 3PSI for now.

So did i make right choice going tubeless or is it gonna backfire and take the fun out of riding. Are they worry free??

Still building my new ride....

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
I think it's been mentioned many times, but going tubeless doesn't really save you weight. If you're going full UST then you'll be gaining weight instead of shedding it.

And no they're not worry free. If you used tubeless sealant like Stan's then you'll be less likely to get puncture flats. And you'll have to reset your tires every season or so to clean out the old crusty sealant and install new fresh sealant.

If you want to save weight going tubless you should use non-UST tires and ultra-lite non UST rims and use tubeless rim tape and sealant. That could save you as much as 1/2 a pound for both front and rear wheels.

·
Registered
287 Posts
When tubeless first came out I tried 11 psi for kicks to see how they would do. Ust tires on Ust rims, sealant wasn't around. Far more concerned about rim dents than the tires. Start at the same pressure as your tube type and adjust from there for feel, as your grip will be way better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
CupOfJava said:
I think it's been mentioned many times, but going tubeless doesn't really save you weight. If you're going full UST then you'll be gaining weight instead of shedding it.

Why does tubeless not save you weight? And are you talking about just an xc wheelset, or do you think this is true with a more aggressive fr/ dh set?

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Bentley78 said:
CupOfJava said:

Why does tubeless not save you weight? And are you talking about just an xc wheelset, or do you think this is true with a more aggressive fr/ dh set?
Because the UST version of the same tire is about the same or a little more than the non UST with a normal tube. (tube = 200 gr)

For example the Negeval 2.35 (very popular) listed tubed version is 700-765 gr depending on the compound. The UST version is listed at 993 gr. (Mine goes for 1020 gr)

If you want to go light UST, Schwalbe Nobby Nic or Racing Ralph are lighter and UST. But, you pay for it in price.

If you want to save weight and go tubeless with Stan's, then use tubeless ready tires. Specialized has many, Bonti, Geax TNT to name a few.

·
Registered
107 Posts
ziscwg said:
Bentley78 said:
Because the UST version of the same tire is about the same or a little more than the non UST with a normal tube. (tube = 200 gr)

For example the Negeval 2.35 (very popular) listed tubed version is 700-765 gr depending on the compound. The UST version is listed at 993 gr. (Mine goes for 1020 gr)

If you want to go light UST, Schwalbe Nobby Nic or Racing Ralph are lighter and UST. But, you pay for it in price.

If you want to save weight and go tubeless with Stan's, then use tubeless ready tires. Specialized has many, Bonti, Geax TNT to name a few.
Im getting Chris King ISO hubs, 20mm front, and standard 135 back, and considering mavic 823 UST tubes, and obviously going tubeless. I do very aggressive all mountain riding, and thought i could save some weight, and not have to worry about flats. Even if i could break even with the weight, and not worry about flats, that would be great...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.