Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
60 Posts
Chances are that if they are No Tubes built wheels, they will have the yellow tape and the valve stems already in them (if the previous owner didn't remove them). All you'll need is the sealant and some patience (no rim strips).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to build the wheels. I am trying to find a lighter alternative to 819,s I really don't like Stans rim strips, but packing tape and a valve stem seems cool and light. I am only concerned about the bead lock issues if any?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have been running 717's tubeless with a rim strip for the past year with great success in XC and AM applications. I have been a little leary about using just the tape method, please post up if that option works for you:)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
i have a set of wheels built with 717 rims - i could NOT convert them to tubeless without the a notubes rim strip. no matter what tire I tried, it would not mount onto the bead, just did not work. had it worked, I am sure it would have burped like crazy and probably would not be very safe to ride. with a ri strip and sealant it works great.

if you really want to shed weight, go with a NoTubes set of rims. They are designed to do what you want. No rim strips and lighter rims than 717, maybe even wider if you go with the 355 rims. good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm getting my Mavic 717 wheels with shim XT hubs tomorrow, just curious on how wide of a tire I can throw on that sucker? thanks
ps. its for v-brakes, not discs so I don't know if that would make a difference or not

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a set of 317 disc wheels (the old 317's - not the newer, lower-end ones; same width as the newer 717's) and run the 2.4 Continental Mountain King Supersonics with no problems. Even with the thin sidewalls, as long as your tire pressure is correct, no problems. Granted the 2.4 MK has the width of a traditional 2.2, that's still pretty wide. I'm 155 lbs geared up and run 30 psi front/35 psi rear with no problems.

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
millsm said:
I have a set of 317 disc wheels (the old 317's - not the newer, lower-end ones; same width as the newer 717's) and run the 2.4 Continental Mountain King Supersonics with no problems. Even with the thin sidewalls, as long as your tire pressure is correct, no problems. Granted the 2.4 MK has the width of a traditional 2.2, that's still pretty wide. I'm 155 lbs geared up and run 30 psi front/35 psi rear with no problems.
That's funny I was just looking around for max tire size on old 317. I just picked up a pair of great condition old version 317/Stout front and Onyx rear hub off eBay for under $100. shipped. I have a 2.35 Nevegal and it looks way big for the rim when mounted.

It's also funny that I just converted the rear to tubeless tonight. I used the ghetto system with a non tubeless 2.1 Nevegal. I didn't do the front, cause I'm undecided with the 2.35 size.

The ghetto method so simple and has alway worked for me. With a cost of a 20 inch tube and some sealant, you can figure well under $10. a wheel. The only down side is you need a new tube when changing out the tire.

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
I converted my 717/XT to Tubeless using electrical tape and Stans. It worked without a problem. I used Hutchinson Python Airlites and IRC Mythos. The tire matters the most when doing this type of conversion without rim strip. I tried an older IRC Mythos and it wouldn't catch the rim, so I recommend using new tires. And you definitely need to use an air compressor. The compressor will shoot the air fast enough for the tire to balloon and catch the rim without letting too much air out.
Another thing about this set up is that you'll probably have to keep the psi at around 30-40 you shouldn't really run the tires at lower pressure.

·
1,110 Posts
spacoli said:
That's funny I was just looking around for max tire size on old 317. I just picked up a pair of great condition old version 317/Stout front and Onyx rear hub off eBay for under $100. shipped. I have a 2.35 Nevegal and it looks way big for the rim when mounted.

It's also funny that I just converted the rear to tubeless tonight. I used the ghetto system with a non tubeless 2.1 Nevegal. I didn't do the front, cause I'm undecided with the 2.35 size.

The ghetto method so simple and has alway worked for me. With a cost of a 20 inch tube and some sealant, you can figure well under $10. a wheel. The only down side is you need a new tube when changing out the tire.

Just an update on my ghetto tubless conversion last night. The tire is holding air well as I expected.

Also I weighed the 20 inch tube before and then I weighed the the amount of tube that was cut off. The weight of the amount of tube used as a rim strip was 1.3 oz. or 37 grams.
I'm not sure how that fairs with other tubeless conversion strips, but I'm pretty happy with that weight.

·
1,110 Posts
sunnyside said:
Spacoli, Thanks for the info. A stans rim strip weighes 60 grams
No problem, I'm glad I did the tube/strip weight thing.

I'm trying to build up a lite weight Heckler on a budget. I'm hoping to get it down between 27-28 lbs.

BTW, I decided on 2.1 on the front, have one on the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts