Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '14 trek fuel ex 8. Went tubeless as soon as I bought it. My LBS set it up for me and added Stans sealant.

What do will I need to repair a flat when I get one? How do I inflate (rear tire seems low)? I have a floor pump, will this work?

·
turtles make me hot
11,753 Posts
Yes. The floor pump will work. Bring a tube with you. I keep one in a seat bag. If for some reason, you damage a bead or rip a sidewall, you'll need it.
You won't get thorn flats any more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Err....I thought co2 was a no no with Stans....causes crystals to grow or something.

Its funny..I'm in the same boat as op. I've googled this stuff, and wierdly..you can't find an article that does a good job of explaining everything in detail.

Maybe there is a thread here on mtbr..but its not obvious, at least to me. You can search here and you will get a ton of threads, but if there is a difinative thread its buried by the sheer number of threads that come up.

End rant...but really.. I could have sworn that I read co2 shouldn't be used with Stans.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Err....I thought co2 was a no no with Stans....causes crystals to grow or something.

Its funny..I'm in the same boat as op. I've googled this stuff, and wierdly..you can't find an article that does a good job of explaining everything in detail.

Maybe there is a thread here on mtbr..but its not obvious, at least to me. You can search here and you will get a ton of threads, but if there is a difinative thread its buried by the sheer number of threads that come up.

End rant...but really.. I could have sworn that I read co2 shouldn't be used with Stans.
You are correct that Stans' should not be used with CO2 as the permanent gas in your tyres
However Stans wont go off the instant you use CO2, if you need CO2 to seat a tubeless bead or out on the trail don't stress it, just replace the CO2 with air when you get home [I.E. let the tyre down and reinflate using a standard pump].
Carrying a couple of CO2 cartridges on the trail sure beats pumping and you are on your way much faster.
I have run tubeless now for about 5 years. In that time I have had several normal thorn type flats, all of which resulted in a small spray of sealant and then the puncture has sealed losing maybe 3 psi.
Pinch flats are a thing of the past.
I have had one catastrophic failure when I hit a steel stake buried in the ground, it sliced my sidewall 30mm, no sealant would ever fix it.
I taped up the tube with gaffer tape next to the location of the tear to stop it protruding through the side wall like a hernia, inserted the tube, inflated with gas and was on my way in 5 minutes.
To the OP original question.
If you get a small thorn type puncture and the sealant fixes it you can just leave it, the sealant should permanently seal the hole.
It the hole is bigger you can take the tyre off the rim and patch it from the inside with a standard tube patch.
Reinflate with CO2 and away you go, but always always always carry a tube when more than a couple of miles from home or the car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.