Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running non-UST WTB Weirwolf Race 2.1 tires on Mavis Crossmax using Stan's

This is my system:

1. To seal the beads: I use Tioga Bead Wax to get a good bead-rim seal without the mess of soapy water. Bead wax is designed to make it easier to get the tire on the rims - but I don't have a problem with that. I put the tires on the rim dry, and then apply the wax. Just smear the wax on both sides of the sponge applicator and slide it around the rim getting wax on both sides of the rim-bead interface. This is really the key to getting the rims to seal. It took me a while to come upon this solution - I used to get so frustrated trying to get the bead to seal.

2. Sealant: Pull out a section of the bead at the bottom and I pour in 1.5 scoops of Stans - be sure to shake well! Then put the bead back on the rim being careful not to spill the goop.

3. To inflate: I use a 5 gallon 135 psi air tank from Sears ($20). Much cheaper than a compressor - you fill it at the gas station and it will do about 5 tires. It provides the rapid flow rate that you need to get the beads to seal on the rim. Forget about a floor pump - you'll never get a seal.

4. You'll hear VERY loud popping sounds as the bead seats on the rim - it scared the crap out of me the first time I heard it.

5. Use a floor pump to get the right pressure - you'll probably get more loud popping. I typically run 30 psi front and back.

6. To fix flats: Be sure to get Stan's removeable-core valve stems so that you can add sealant on the trail. If you get a flat that won't seal, then fix it from the outside using crazy glue. I carry a couple of those tiny single-use crazy glue tubes made by Elmers. Then when I get home, I patch the tire on the inside using a proper patch kit. I carry a C02 cartridge pump with 3 spare cartridges. Be sure to use 16g cartridges because the 12g ones don't fill up a typical MTB tire.

That's it! Let me know if you have any additional tips for running non-UST tires on UST rims without tubes.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jbadger said:
4. You'll hear VERY loud popping sounds as the bead seats on the rim - it scared the crap out of me the first time I heard it.
And it makes a VERY loud and scary sound when the tire blows off the rim.
Been there. Ruined the tire, too.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Loud and painful

shiggy??? said:
if you happened to be holding the tire while bouncing the wheel on the ground to seat the bead. The clanking of the rim hitting the cement woke me out of my shock, still had the tire in my hand.
jbadger said:
Just smear the wax on both sides of the sponge applicator and slide it around the rim getting wax on both sides of the rim-bead interface. This is really the key to getting the rims to seal. It took me a while to come upon this solution - I used to get so frustrated trying to get the bead to seal.
Good idea with the wax. I've stopped using soapy water because the water was corroding the rim, switched to silicone spray.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
shiggy©®™ said:
Yup, got me a big purple bruise on my hand from that.

I agree, good idea with the wax. I will try that next time.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
getting non UST tires to seat on tubeless rims

I've had great luck using Armor All on the tire bead. I just spray some on a sponge and run it all along the beads of the tire, inflate using a compressor (getting the nice popping sound as the tire seats and never inflating over 40 psi to prevent the beads from stretching).
The silicon content makes it nice and slippery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts