Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm new to tubeless and have found out that is I use my floor pump and pump like a meth addict that I can get the bead to seal. I have a 24H race this weekend and I was putting some new tires on and trying to pump them up with my Crank Bros pump (the small one) and I couldn't for the life of me pump that sucker up. I tried my Zefal HPX road pump and had the same problem.

If I get a flat during the 24 H race what should I do? I could try CO2 but I think it would just leak out. I'm thinking I'll just throw some tubes in it since it will take awhile to take out the presta core and install a tube, but that will just be adding weight to an already heavy UST tire.

On another note...my dad had a similar problem when he switched his wheels on his Harley from the wire (tubed) to mag wheels (tubeless). He couldn't get them to seal even with an air compressor so he got pissed off and squirted a little ether (starting fluid) in the tire and made a trail leading away from the tire. He lit it and it blew up and sealed the tire. Maybe I should add some ether and a lighter to my repair kit...he added it to his for his trip from Pennsylvania to Alaska! :D

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
While lighting a tire on fire can work on some trucks, cars and motorcycle tires, I wouldn't try it on a bike tire. Different construction, much lighter and thiner casing and beads, chances are the tire will explode and you'll turn deaf.

You need a floor pump, CO2 can work too as a compressor. You need to mount the tire so the beads are in the center, the valve should be between both beads and pump quickly, no need to get the face red, just keep a good rhythm. If you can't do it that way (it really should work I swear), maybe lubing the beads with soapy water could help, it makes them slip into place a little easier (although I never do it). Pump until you reach the maximum pressure your tires will take (it's always written on the sidewalls), you should hear a few pops when the beads lock themselves onto the rim. I find it a bit easier when the wheel is not resting on the floor on the tire so you can hang it somewhere, place the bike in a workstand or put the bike upside down...

If you flat, take off the UST valve and stick a tube in... or use some Stan's sealant and don't get a flat in the first place. :)

Now, put away the ether and try again. Once you get it, you'll find it quite easy next time.

·
heckler
166 Posts
new UST tyres can be a pain to seal, but using soapy water on the beads does help

if it is a brand new tyre, try first installing it on a regular rim with an inner tube and leave it on overnight, this stretches the tyre and makes it a lot easlier to install on a tighter UST rim, re-install on your UST rim in the morning with a track pump after wetting the beads with soapy water and putting some sealant in the tyre, after inflation spin the wheel so the sealant seals any potential air leaks around the bead

job done!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Get a Compressor

This has come up a lot of times and it seems like every time it comes up the answers are the same. I think a lot of people can get these things on without a compressor but I had one and spent a day trying every trick in the book with no luck . I finally hooked up the compressor and inflated it in a minute. For the cost of a compressor you might as well get one if you go UST. Wal-Mart and Home Depot both sell a small compressor with a tank for $50, which isnt much more than a floor pump. If you put some sealant in the tires they wont leak much air and with a little luck the only way they go flat is if you run a stick through the side.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
daveIT said:
OK, I'm new to tubeless and have found out that is I use my floor pump and pump like a meth addict that I can get the bead to seal. I have a 24H race this weekend and I was putting some new tires on and trying to pump them up with my Crank Bros pump (the small one) and I couldn't for the life of me pump that sucker up. I tried my Zefal HPX road pump and had the same problem.

If I get a flat during the 24 H race what should I do? I could try CO2 but I think it would just leak out. I'm thinking I'll just throw some tubes in it since it will take awhile to take out the presta core and install a tube, but that will just be adding weight to an already heavy UST tire.

On another note...my dad had a similar problem when he switched his wheels on his Harley from the wire (tubed) to mag wheels (tubeless). He couldn't get them to seal even with an air compressor so he got pissed off and squirted a little ether (starting fluid) in the tire and made a trail leading away from the tire. He lit it and it blew up and sealed the tire. Maybe I should add some ether and a lighter to my repair kit...he added it to his for his trip from Pennsylvania to Alaska! :D
Lots of soapy water on the beads. Make sure the valve is between the beads.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
If you're worried about flatting during a 24hr race, two things you might do:
- carry a tube, if you puncture the tire it won't hold air anyway, it's easier to just take out the UST valve and insert a tube.

If you really don't want to flat in the first place:
- put stans or some other latex in the tires to seal any small punctures for you. This might protect from small bead leaks also.

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'll 2nd that the TURBO Morph is a kicka$$ pump. I t makes quick work of inflating any tyre, road or mountain.

As for the seating the tyres as said use loads of soapy wayer, especially if it's the Bontrager stuff and add some form of sealant if you're worried about flats in such an event.

Grumpy said:
I carry a Topeak morph and have no problem seating the bead on most UST's. (I have tested it but have never had to seat a bead on the trail.)
It is fairly large for a pack pump and requires a big pack (like a mule) or strapping it to the frame
http://www.topeak.com/2006/products/minipumps/turbomorphg.php
http://www.topeak.com/2006/products/minipumps/mountainmorph.php

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry Shiggy, I should have said that I'd rather not carry a track pump on a ride... :)

Good to hear the Topeak Mountain Morph's the business, cos I've already got one!

I tried it out on a UST tyre at home, Fat Albert, pumped really hard, went red in the face a couple of times but no dice. I'd lined the bead up on the centre but I couldn't shift the air in quick enough to get the pressure up.

Then I put the track pump on it, couple of quick pumps and it's sealed, no problem.

The UST Fat Albert is quite a high volume tyre... maybe that makes it more difficult to inflate?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Giallograle said:
Sorry Shiggy, I should have said that I'd rather not carry a track pump on a ride... :)

Good to hear the Topeak Mountain Morph's the business, cos I've already got one!

I tried it out on a UST tyre at home, Fat Albert, pumped really hard, went red in the face a couple of times but no dice. I'd lined the bead up on the centre but I couldn't shift the air in quick enough to get the pressure up.

Then I put the track pump on it, couple of quick pumps and it's sealed, no problem.

The UST Fat Albert is quite a high volume tyre... maybe that makes it more difficult to inflate?
I don't find that to be the case (large volume being less or more difficult) Mostly a brand thing I think (for instance Hutchinson's are normally so easy to seat I have done it with a minipump (on a bet, Topeak mini) Hutchinson tires want to flatten out (beads flex outwards) more than most perhaps that has something to do with it. Haven't ever run a Schwalbe so I can't help you there.

Liberal suds (not just soapy water) helps and make sure the bead is even around the rim (shaking the rim and tapping the tire) are about the only tricks I use.
I have never had to resort to anything more than a floor pump, there was a (1) specific example of a tire (spec rollX) that would not seat with the morph and always required a floorpump. I never really worried about (it) as normally if you need to unseat a bead on the trail you have butchered the tire so badly you need to put a tube in anyhow. (though UST has been extremely reliable for me,I still carry a tube, just in case)

·
jalepenio jimenez
845 Posts
Tubeless Panic

I once had a tire that would not seal, even with the large volume air compressor at my fire station. I ended up putting a tube in the tire and seating both beads. Then I deflated the tire, broke one bead, and removed the tube. Now I only had one bead to seat. Genius, right?
Well, not quite. It was still a test of my patience to seat the remaining bead, but eventually it seated.
A friend, right before my eyes, easily and quickly seated the beads of his setup with the liberal use of soapy water on both sides of tires' beads. I couldn't believe how easily he made it look. He says with this method, he has seated his tires with only a floor pump. Amazing!
Stan's says water is counter-productive for the performance of their sealant. That didn't stop my friends liberal application of the soapy water and he's still riding flat free today. Genius!
Tubeless with Stan's is the only way to go in puncture-vine country. Today I've been reading in these forums about how ineffective Stan's is for some people. Personally, I have not had any problems with using Stan's. Knock on wood. And I'm using it inside lightweight WTB Mutano and Moto Raptors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.