Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Im new to the biking thing and could use some advice. Yesterday, I blew a tubeless tire which resulted in some nice trail rash and it got me thinking which tire to replace it with. Now, I have looked at the reviews and searched the forums. Im left with one serious question. Im a heavier rider...230lbs. Is there a tire that is more suited for bigger guys while still giving good traction in packed to moderatly loose conditions? Any suggestions would be welcomed... Thanks

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
A larger volume tire might help you. What is the tire you are replacing? Can you give some more details on terrain, riding style, etc.?

For all-purpose tires I would suggest Specialized Resolution front and Roll-X rear. Other great general purpose tires are Hutchinson Spyder, Schwalbe Fat Albert and plenty more.

·
Registered
388 Posts
noxprt said:
...I blew a tubeless tire which resulted in some nice trail rash...
what tire and rim were you using? what air pressure were you running?

sorry, i have no advice for you but I am thinking about jumping into tubeless someday and I don't want to do what you did...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a set of Maxxis LUST Crossmark tubeless 2.1 tires on my bike with about 280 miles on them now. Didn't use the Stan's at first but after the first flat with a thorn I added the Stan's to both tires and haven't had any flats since. I didn't want a tire with very aggressive knobbys so I decided on the Crossmarks. I started out running around 50psi but I have dropped pressures to 35f, 40r to reduce sliding in soft dirt. I weigh apprx 215 w/pack.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
noxprt said:
Hi everyone,

Im new to the biking thing and could use some advice. Yesterday, I blew a tubeless tire which resulted in some nice trail rash and it got me thinking which tire to replace it with. Now, I have looked at the reviews and searched the forums. Im left with one serious question. Im a heavier rider...230lbs. Is there a tire that is more suited for bigger guys while still giving good traction in packed to moderatly loose conditions? Any suggestions would be welcomed... Thanks
You should post this in the Clydesdale portion of this board. I've notice the bigger boys are usually on big and wide tires, like 2.35+.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike is a Cdale F600. The rims are Mavic XL's and the tires are the continental explorer 2.1. I mainly ride XC with an occasional 2 to 3 foot jump...some mild technical stuff. Soil conditions are mainly packed but occasionally loose. Biggest issue I see with going too wide is the added weight and slow roll. I know I'm probably asking for too much from a single tire, but the closer to perfect, the happier I will be :D

Suggestions welcome. Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
noxprt said:
The bike is a Cdale F600. The rims are Mavic XL's and the tires are the continental explorer 2.1. I mainly ride XC with an occasional 2 to 3 foot jump...some mild technical stuff. Soil conditions are mainly packed but occasionally loose. Biggest issue I see with going too wide is the added weight and slow roll. I know I'm probably asking for too much from a single tire, but the closer to perfect, the happier I will be :D

Suggestions welcome. Thanks everyone.
Pssht! At 230 pounds and having tire issues a little extra weight in exchange for reliability should not be an issue. Also wider/higher volume tires usually will roll better in rough terrain than a narrow tire.

The Explorer is a LOW volume tire and does not have a place on your bike IMO. A rider of your size should be on higher volume tires. Pretty much any Hutchinson, Schwalbes 2.25 or larger, any Specialized, Contis or Maxxis 2.35 or larger...

Take a look at the specs on my tire site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.