Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has had luck using liquid latex homebrews (like Stan's)? I've heard and read that people have done this; anybody got results as good as Stan's or the european stuff? If you have, what's your recipe?

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Yes

Finally tried it out a couple weeks ago and having great success with it. Keep in mind, I almost have a UST setup in the first place with Mavic Crossmax SL rims and Continental Vertical Protection tires (regular not UST).

So my real challege was to mount a standard pair of tires on UST rims with Stan's goop. This was a little messy and had to experiement a bit with getting the tire to inflate using my floor pump, but i think I've got the technique down. Now that the tire is mounted up and a few rides on them, they're rock solid- no leaks, great low pressure performance.

I'm able to run them as low as 20-30psi on technical single tracks without a problem, and up to the normal 45-50psi on fireroad climbs. Other than the great low pressure performance, I haven't really noticed any mind blowing improvements and the weight loss is negligible as I was running ultra-light tubes anyways. It's just great to know that thorns and pinch flats are a problem of the past.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have made that clearer...

I mean who has made their own sealant. I'm curious whether Stans is a special innovative formula (in which case I'll try it) or just repackaged liquid latex or auto tire sealant. Still, good to hear the Stan's seems to be working for you HTail. As fall gets closer I'm dreading the goatheads (usually one flat every 1-2 long rides). The only measure I've taken so far is that when I put on some new tires I used the Specialized "Racing Thorn Resistant" tubes, which may be just marketing hype (they're thin and 175g). Really won't know 'till late August.

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Just Stan's ...

dusty said:
I mean who has made their own sealant. I'm curious whether Stans is a special innovative formula (in which case I'll try it) or just repackaged liquid latex or auto tire sealant. Still, good to hear the Stan's seems to be working for you HTail. As fall gets closer I'm dreading the goatheads (usually one flat every 1-2 long rides). The only measure I've taken so far is that when I put on some new tires I used the Specialized "Racing Thorn Resistant" tubes, which may be just marketing hype (they're thin and 175g). Really won't know 'till late August.
I also am just using Stan's -- I haven't tried making my own yet. Stan's doesn't cost
that much, and it works. (I'm not on a tight budget, so success is more important
to me than cheap.)

I have an Elly Truth, and I've switched to Stan's on both front and rear. The stop did
the front, and I braved it out and did the rear -- right b4 a long ride! And it's working
fine. Just follow Stan's instructions on pumping up the tire (and using soapy
water) and you'll be cool. (Stan has a patent on his formula, so I'm guessing it's
not easy to reproduce, but who knows.)

I have non-UST rims and tires, and it's holding air great. And it's nice to be able
to run 35-50 PSI in my tired w/o fear of pinch flats.

Lastly, I now have the added benifit of thorn resistance. We have many many
goats head here, as well. (Seems like most are in my friggin' yard!) I never wanted
to run goop in my tires before, but now the Stan's seals the tires. I haven't had
a flat since I Stan-i-fied.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts