Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm finishing up my BigMamma build and I have everything sitting at home except for the tires. I got a good deal on a set of SunRingle BlackFlag pro wheels so thats what Im using. I'm 195lbs without gear and I will be riding all over the gulf region. Mostly South Louisiana, TX, MS, and AL. So pretty much hardpack when its dry and some occasional leaves and pineneedles on top. I have another bike to ride when it gets wet and nasty.

My question to you wonderful, wise, amazing people on this forum is I want to dial in my bike for my body and worry about tire selection later. SunRingle uses a stans rim from what I understand. I was thinking about picking up 2 IRC Mythos XC-2 tires and mounting them tubless so I have something to at least roll on for a while. Do you think this is a good idea? It would be my first time dealing with tubeless.

Pricepoint has them for $22 a piece right now which is why Im interested. Let me know how dumb of an idea this may be.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Why spend $22 per tire now, when $40 per tire could get you a good permanent tire? You can order a Crossmark for under $40, which is a perfect rear tire for our area. Race Kings, Mountain Kings, Nanos, SB8s, Specialized Captains, etc can all be had in that price range, are easy to find, and work relatively well tubeless. If you don't mind spending a little more the Crossmark/Ralph or Ikon/Ralph combos are hard to beat.

JustTheTip said:
Ok so I'm finishing up my BigMamma build and I have everything sitting at home except for the tires. I got a good deal on a set of SunRingle BlackFlag pro wheels so thats what Im using. I'm 195lbs without gear and I will be riding all over the gulf region. Mostly South Louisiana, TX, MS, and AL. So pretty much hardpack when its dry and some occasional leaves and pineneedles on top. I have another bike to ride when it gets wet and nasty.

My question to you wonderful, wise, amazing people on this forum is I want to dial in my bike for my body and worry about tire selection later. SunRingle uses a stans rim from what I understand. I was thinking about picking up 2 IRC Mythos XC-2 tires and mounting them tubless so I have something to at least roll on for a while. Do you think this is a good idea? It would be my first time dealing with tubeless.

Pricepoint has them for $22 a piece right now which is why Im interested. Let me know how dumb of an idea this may be.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
+1 on Ikon EXO (front/rear) or Ikon EXO (rear) Racing Ralph (front) combo. You could also go with a Maxxis Ignitor Exo for a front. It is a permanent fix, and you won't have to screw with your tired for atleast a year.

If you are also wanting a DIY guild of how to set up tubelss w/ stan's wheels step-by-step..message me your email, and I will forward something I sent to a friend w/ some small pictures and such.

·
aka "SirLurkAlot"
622 Posts
Disclosure - I can be cheap when it comes to bike parts. I buy for utility and bling is secondary.

But, I spend money on tires. They are important IMO. I corner aggressively and tire choice is critical. Find out what others in your area are using that have a similar riding style. A lot of folks here ride small block 8's. That would be a bad choice for me even though it's a good choice for them.

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
I'd stay away from the Mythos, IRC's are one of the few brands listed on Stan's site as NOT recommended to run tubeless.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I think I'm going to go with the Ignitor/Crossmark setup. If that doesn't work out Ill swap to the AKA's or maybe a Saguaro combo. Pricepoint is hard to beat right now with deals on the Maxxis tires!

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
hsakkire said:
Disclosure - I can be cheap when it comes to bike parts. I buy for utility and bling is secondary.

If someone buys for bling first, they are not riding it. They are probably cleaning it in the garage. At that point, they should sell it and switch to road bikes. They have tires in colors that can match your bike.:madman: ...................Sometimes I wonder if it's a group ride or a parade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.