Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for those with tubeless tires.

Since tubeless doesn’t always hold air, especially after a cold winter. Should I be going with a co2 pump or an actual floor pump?

Don’t want to break the bank but in need of a decent pump so I can get out there riding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You need a floor pump anyway. Whether you are tubeless or tubed your tires will lose air after sitting and will need to be inflated. How are you inflating your tires now?

·
Registered
120 Posts
CO2 is a trail fix, should not replace a floor pump imo. If you need to reinstall tubeless then a tank/compressor is helpful. You may need to add some more sealant as well if you haven’t ridden since last year.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
I drive to a gas station to set beads (live in an apartment). But I only need to do that when swapping tires. For airing up, I have a floor pump in my car. CO2 is for trail repairs.

·
Registered
17,551 Posts
Compressor is handy for installing a new tire but once the bead is set a floor pump is fine. co2 is great for fast trailside fixes.

Agree that everyone should have a floor pump.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Oh now you mention tubeless fires!

I prepared this 3 years ago........

Now too little hairspray and you dont seat the bead, you simply set your tires on fire.
too much hairspay and you blow the rims/tyres apart and potentiall get injured or even die!

But with the correct air/hairspray ratio you can indeed install your tubeless tyre with fire!..... or more accuarately explosion.

Oh yeah! doing anything with explosions is hot!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,209 Posts
It works ok, for most tires and most situations. I'll say that this hasn't matured to the point where all of the issues are eliminated/far behind us. I've found work-arounds for most everything, but through trial and error and a lot of sweat. I can mount nearly everything, but it's not always a breeze and it'll test less experience riders/home-mechanics. The "max power" way with enough pressure, such as from a compressor, will usually work, still sometimes there are issues that keep even this from working, like the tape being dimpled in the spoke-holes and allowing air to escape, the extremely restrictive presta valves, etc. Again, there are work-arounds for most everything, but it's not quite to the point where it's totally foolproof IMO.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You need a floor pump anyway. Whether you are tubeless or tubed your tires will lose air after sitting and will need to be inflated. How are you inflating your tires now?
New squish bike so have not had to throw air in yet. We have a very cheap Walmart floor pump but for some reason it doesn't work well, even though it has a presta attachment.

I'll go ahead and purchase a decent floor pump. As far as adding more sealent, when I rotate the tires you can hear it flowing inside but couldn't hurt to have it redone.

·
Registered
17,551 Posts
New squish bike so have not had to throw air in yet. We have a very cheap Walmart floor pump but for some reason it doesn't work well, even though it has a presta attachment.
Actually my cheap Wal-Mart floor pump works just fine, I guess they do sell even cheaper ones though.

If you're not getting good flow it could be that the valve core is a little clogged with sealant, happens all the time.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,209 Posts
Actually my cheap Wal-Mart floor pump works just fine, I guess they do sell even cheaper ones though.

If you're not getting good flow it could be that the valve core is a little clogged with sealant, happens all the time.
That sounds good on paper, but I've had tires that were super tight, but the flexible kevlar bead would leave big gaps at the "folds", there was no way around it, so air would pour out from these holes, or the dimpled-spoke-hole thing, or a half-dozen other similar issues. Although you may be running ok with that pump, your rims and your chosen tire and tire-size, this is far from applicable to all combinations. Presta valves suck at flowing air and many pumps, even the high end "tank" pumps, still require the valve core, which significantly diminishes the flow. You can have all the PSI in the world, but if isn't getting to the tire, it is meaningless. The industry has a ways to go on this yet.

·
Registered
17,551 Posts
That sounds good on paper, but I've had tires that were super tight, but the flexible kevlar bead would leave big gaps at the "folds", there was no way around it, so air would pour out from these holes, or the dimpled-spoke-hole thing, or a half-dozen other similar issues. Although you may be running ok with that pump, your rims and your chosen tire and tire-size, this is far from applicable to all combinations. Presta valves suck at flowing air and many pumps, even the high end "tank" pumps, still require the valve core, which significantly diminishes the flow. You can have all the PSI in the world, but if isn't getting to the tire, it is meaningless. The industry has a ways to go on this yet.
Yeah I agree, I probably didn't make it clear in my first post but I always use a compressor to seat a newly installed tire, and I remove the valve core. Once it's seated I can use just about anything, even mini-pump to reinflate though.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,209 Posts
Yeah I agree, I probably didn't make it clear in my first post but I always use a compressor to seat a newly installed tire, and I remove the valve core. Once it's seated I can use just about anything, even mini-pump to reinflate though.
The one that gets me is the people that say they can (and will) re-seat the tire out on the trail. If it comes off the shelfs IME, it's not going back unless there's some significant pressure supplied fast and a hand pump ain't going to do it, even a CO2 isn't going to do it. Maybe in some limited situations where everything goes perfect, but that hasn't happened but a couple times when mounting tubeless for me.

·
Registered
17,551 Posts
The one that gets me is the people that say they can (and will) re-seat the tire out on the trail. If it comes off the shelfs IME, it's not going back unless there's some significant pressure supplied fast and a hand pump ain't going to do it, even a CO2 isn't going to do it. Maybe in some limited situations where everything goes perfect, but that hasn't happened but a couple times when mounting tubeless for me.
I've yet to have a tire come unseated on the trail but if I did I wouldn't bother even trying to reseat it and waste a co2, that's what the spare tube is for.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Something I have struggled with lately, maybe it is just me, is the tire sticking to itself once unseated.

The last 2 sealant additions I have made I broke the bead and poured in the necessary sealant. The inside of the sidewall sticks to the opposing side.

With that having had happen, I assume I'd have a similar issue should I need to unseat, or have an unseated bead in the field.

I haven't had a problem seating the beads on my tire/rim combination with a floor pump, but have never tried with my hand pump. Now that it's been brought up I bet it is nearly impossible to use a hand pump.

I haven't used a CO2 cartridge in a while -I should try that on my next tire replacement to see how well, if at all, I have success at seating a bead.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.