Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are a TON of threads about tubeless tires and various methods and systems that can make a mountain bike tubeless. it would take hours to read all of them and graft enough information to know what will work for me. has anyone compiled a comprehensive (or as close to comprehensive as it can get) list of methods and materials that can be used for a tubeless setup?

things to cover:
rim strip materials
rim considerations
tire considerations
valves
sealants
etc

maybe this would make a good Wiki.

·
Registered
12,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
complete it? i have no idea what i am writing about. i have never used a tubeless system. i am still on tubes with Slime in them. i was hoping someone else would outline a good list of the possibilities for everyone else to learn.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
3 options

1 ) UST = airtight rims and wheels, no sealant required. special bead

2) Tubeless, tubeless ready, TLR, 2Bliss etc.= regular tire with special bead, rims with special strip or tape. requires sealant

3) ghetto tubeless = regular tire and rim with somekind of rim strip and sealant. can be homeade using strapping tape, split inner tubes etc.

you can mix and match at will with varying results
option 2 is usually the lightest
option 1 is used with sealant alot

in my opinion option 1 & 2 are the better options because of the special bead

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.