Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,980 Posts
I agree with bikerx40: Go UST tires on UST rims. I love that satifying *POP* when the tire seats on the rim when you pump it up.

Hey Earthpig: I bet you want a Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle for Christmas.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Stans SUCKS~!

garnetspur said:
98...i wouldn't rule out stan's yet. this is the first i have ever heard of such. not denying what 23 says.... but, i have several friends that run stan's and have not had such problems. first hand, i can say that i have not.

the true benefit or tubeless is being able to run lower air pressures. also, i think that the ust allows the tire to actually use it's treads/knobs as they were designed. i.e. i think the tire works better alone rather than with a tube/tire setup. they just seem to roll better.

and lastly, you'll have goathead protection with the stan's. just an added bonus.
Of all the things I have tried over the last two years Stan's sealant is the one product I will say SUCKS big green donkey donks! When you really need it has already turned to cottage cheese. If I wanted cottage cheese in my tires I would put it in myself. I converted two wheel sets over to the Stan's system and hand nothing but problems. I especially like getting Stan's snot all over my hands when I had to install a tube since most of the sealant was worthless. The sealant just doens't hold up in the heat. If I ever go tubeless, it will be with some other sealant.

I also build a set of wheels for someone using Stan's rims. Not impressed at all!

·
Registered
82 Posts
So true Budha. During the summer, I refill customers tires with Stan's about every 4-8 weeks. They come in with a flat, thinking that I cheated them when their tires didn't seal. "You didn't put enough goop in there" I hear all too often. Upon removing the tire, I find a little white alien carcass that did not resemble what I put in there at all. I figured the customer pulled the switcharoo on me. Then I blew my tire off the rim about 2 months after having converted to this "miracle goop" only to find the same little alien carcass in my own tire!

Either: a) aliens are drinking my Stans
OR b) Stans sucks

Since going with the Yes Tubes system (yes, this is just plain old tubes like we've run for years), I have enjoyed riding alien-free once again.

My plan is simple- I already like big tires, so I run a big tire with an anti-pinch flat casing (Maxxis Mobster 2.5) and Slime tubes for anti-goatheads. I once got a flat with this setup, then pumped it up, and kept on riding. Works for me, and I ride more than write.

·
Registered
82 Posts
BTW- haven't tried SuperJuice (Bontrager product) for myself, but have been "experimenting" in Stan's fans tires at the shop. They don't come back as often, and they think their Stans is working great!

·
******-fied facsimiles
399 Posts
my luck with stans......

bikemech23 said:
BTW- haven't tried SuperJuice (Bontrager product) for myself, but have been "experimenting" in Stan's fans tires at the shop. They don't come back as often, and they think their Stans is working great!
I have never used ust tires or ust rims, always had conversion kits. Mavic 223, mavic 519, mavic 219, sun BFR, all with wtb 2.5 weirwolves race kevlar bead. I weigh about a $1.50 , I ahve yet to burp a tire and I run them at 25- 28 psi. no flats either. as far as adding a little more juice every so often, I don't see it as a big deal in that, should be doing regular maintanance on your bike anyway, just check it.

·
sharing the love
342 Posts
surly_an_instigator said:
I don't see it as a big deal in that, should be doing regular maintanance on your bike anyway, just check it.
Come one...you know that most of the MTBR members on this board don't work on their own bikes. They just drop them off at the valet parking at George's...

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
zebdi said:
Come one...you know that most of the MTBR members on this board don't work on their own bikes. They just drop them off at the valet parking at George's...
That's because most MTBR members on this board are too busy engaging in circle jerks, drinking chardonnay, taking poops, and writing off-topic posts that could easily be bird-called to each other. At least, that's what I've heard.

As for a more serious response, I'm unsure why you continue to exhibit such an @sshat attitude towards people who don't either have the time, skill, tools, and/or desire to wrench on their own bikes. (You clearly have a superiority complex because you can do all your own wrench work. Good for you. We're all proud of you. However, just because you're a wrenching know-it-all-do-it-yourselfer doesn't entitle you to be a jackhole.) As for utilizing mechanics in the local shops, and thereby supporting the local economy, I'm a little unsure how that's a bad thing.

Tell you what, you can take your tools, your vast wrenching knowledge, your holier than thou attitude, and install them all in the hollowed-out recess that is your rectum. I'm sure you have all the tools and experience to do that.

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
Earthpig said:
Tell you what, you can take your tools, your vast wrenching knowledge, your holier than thou attitude, and install them all in the hollowed-out recess that is your rectum. I'm sure you have all the tools and experience to do that.
I wrench on my own bikes (not that there's anything wrong with that;) ), but EP, that line is classic! LOL!!!

·
sharing the love
342 Posts
Earthpig said:
That's because most MTBR members on this board are too busy engaging in circle jerks, drinking chardonnay, taking poops, and writing off-topic posts that could easily be bird-called to each other. At least, that's what I've heard.

As for a more serious response, I'm unsure why you continue to exhibit such an @sshat attitude towards people who don't either have the time, skill, tools, and/or desire to wrench on their own bikes. (You clearly have a superiority complex because you can do all your own wrench work. Good for you. We're all proud of you. However, just because you're a wrenching know-it-all-do-it-yourselfer doesn't entitle you to be a jackhole.) As for utilizing mechanics in the local shops, and thereby supporting the local economy, I'm a little unsure how that's a bad thing.

Thanks for the reply. I really didn't expect anything more from you. You make me chuckle. :D When I poke fun, I'm being a holier-than-thou, know-it-all jackhole. When you do, it's because you are right. I get it now! Just don't ask me to meet you by the flagpole...

As for wrenching your own bike, it's just being responsible. George's valet parking for bike service isn't going to pick you and your bike up from the ridge road. I'd rather not walk...

·
Wandervans
2,084 Posts
change is good!

Irishbuddha said:
Of all the things I have tried over the last two years Stan's sealant is the one product I will say SUCKS big green donkey donks! When you really need it has already turned to cottage cheese. If I wanted cottage cheese in my tires I would put it in myself. I converted two wheel sets over to the Stan's system and hand nothing but problems. I especially like getting Stan's snot all over my hands when I had to install a tube since most of the sealant was worthless. The sealant just doens't hold up in the heat. If I ever go tubeless, it will be with some other sealant.

I also build a set of wheels for someone using Stan's rims. Not impressed at all!
I have run tubeless for 4 years now, always on mavic ust rims and slime at first for about a year and would never go back to tubes or slime and will stick with stans. Sure they dry out quicker in the summer, but a little checking every two months when it is 90+ and you will be fine. I got zero flats this year with my stans, how many flats did you get? I don't run cheesy wtb or mich tires either with thin sidewalls anymore nokian, kenda, or maxxis grace my rides.

Chris

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,980 Posts
I totally circumvent all the problems identified in this thread by putting cottage cheese in my tires, running them at 5 psi using non-UST rims, buying the cheapest, skiniest, heaviest tires I can find, keeping the wheels in my freezer so they don't get too hot and inflating them by blowing them up with my mouth. I never do any of my own wrenching and I've been banned from all the LBS's for spilling Chardonnay on their KY displays while shaving my legs and taking instant messages on my Blackberry. Which doens't matter anyway because I don't ride a quality piece of steel and I write more than I ride.

·
******-fied facsimiles
399 Posts
Dont forget to tip.

zebdi said:
Being one of those Georges Valet attendants I truley bennifit from their lack of mech skills and tools :p . Its not like you have to check it every ride, 4-6 weeks, check it, you dont even have to remove the whole tire to do so. Hell you can even leave it on the bike, in the living room. No real tools needed.

·
Premium Member
48,237 Posts
garnetspur said:
98...i wouldn't rule out stan's yet. this is the first i have ever heard of such. not denying what 23 says.... but, i have several friends that run stan's and have not had such problems. first hand, i can say that i have not.

the true benefit or tubeless is being able to run lower air pressures. also, i think that the ust allows the tire to actually use it's treads/knobs as they were designed. i.e. i think the tire works better alone rather than with a tube/tire setup. they just seem to roll better.

and lastly, you'll have goathead protection with the stan's. just an added bonus.
Do a search on the Weight and Wheel/tire boards for "stans," "DIY tubeless" and "failure."

You will find many posts about blown and/or bubbled casings in tires run with sealant and without inner tubes. It is not a new issue.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Now I know the rest of the story!

Well, it has taken some time to sink in, but now I know what really turned my Stan's to cottage cheese. While I was off getting another bottle of chardonay, some circle jerking butt hole surfing bikers drained the Stan's jizz and doned it on their warriors for latex protected sex and then put the after math back in my wheels. :mad: Now I know why that cottage cheese smelled like monkey love!

Now that I have gone back to YesTubes, I have two sets of Nottubes rims strips and some Stan's Jizz if anyone wants to make a low ball offer.

·
Sheepherder/Cat Herder
2,715 Posts
ya just can't use monkey l0ve, YesTube, and low ball w/o expecting me to respond do you??? That is like expecting Kona to drop the Coiler, or Cove to give up making the G-spot!!!

Holiday Spackle brought to you by the office feeding trough with goodies prepped-out by those that don't don't wash after paying homage to the venerable "High-Water Mark". I can hear the "huuuhh-ugh, huuugh-ugh, huuuh-ugh, splaaatt" sounds of the office cat hurling it in the corner.

Btw....if you were the persons I passed today on the Ice-belt this AM....my apologies...the carbide is kinda loud...and I really wanted to get to work to get paid to add to the effluent.

·
Registered
485 Posts
bikerx40 said:
True tubeless doesn't really need any sealant, because even if you do get a goathead you'll easily be able to finish out the ride before the pressure drops. A friend of mine rode lower Drycreek to Hidden Springs, which was all goatheads. He had over 100 goatheads per wheel! He finished the ride without losing total pressure. He was using Python tubeless tires without sealant.
Holy crap. I thought I was the only moron who did that ride. However, when me and two friends did the ride, none of us had tubeless tires. We just had slimed normal tires, and the slime worked fine. I pulled a few dozen goatheads out of my tires when I got home. (Don't pull them out on the trail. As long as they are lodged in your tires, they slow the air from escaping.) I've never seen goatheads as dense as they were on that trail.

Justen

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
zebdi said:
When I poke fun, I'm being a holier-than-thou, know-it-all jackhole. When you do, it's because you are right. I get it now!
Good, I'm glad we see eye to eye. :p (Sarcasm is so much fun! So are words like "jackhole" and "a$$hat," especially in this holiday season. I got a Christmas card for my mother that has Santa on the front of it, saying to his reindeer, "There is no 'I' in team." One reindeer responds "Yes, but there is a 'U' in butthead." Classic stuff.)

zebdi said:
As for wrenching your own bike, it's just being responsible. George's valet parking for bike service isn't going to pick you and your bike up from the ridge road. I'd rather not walk...
What a weak argument. There's one level of wrenching that includes being able to perform a trail-side repair to get you home. If someone doesn't have that level of wrenching skill (or are at least riding with someone else who does), I agree wholeheartedly with you that they better not venture too far from home or vehicle. However, there's another level of wrenching skill and knowledge that, while it would be interesting and valuable to possess, is not "necessary," nor is the lack therof "irresponsible." As for "people on this board" who can and do wrench at that "higher level" (23, Surly, flip, crash_burn, Nels to name a few), I don't see them jumping on your "wrenching superiority" bandwagon.

Final point - why should I spend my valuable and seriously limited free time wrenching when I'd rather be riding? I'd rather pay the experts to fix the sh!t I can't on their time and my dime so I can spend my free time riding. Long live the wrenching 5!

Now, back to my chardonnay and KY....

·
sharing the love
342 Posts
Earthpig said:
blah, blah, blah....
I'm so glad I haven't met many of you on this board....

·
Registered
485 Posts
Earthpig said:
Final point - why should I spend my valuable and seriously limited free time wrenching when I'd rather be riding? I'd rather pay the experts to fix the sh!t I can't on their time and my dime so I can spend my free time riding. Long live the wrenching 5!
You spent, what, 7+ years in college, and they never taught you to fix a bike? ;-)

Funny enough, I actually took a mountain biking class in college. Didn't count for graduation, but it was pretty fun. It just covered basic stuff. I learned most of my wrenching building up one of my bikes. Its all pretty simple, really. Just messy. I just have no clue about things that aren't on my bikes. (we were descending Hard Guy one day, and one of my buds had a complete brake failure. Mechanical discs. I had no idea how to fix them. A single piston? Huh?)

Justen

41 - 60 of 71 Posts