Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is Stan's conversion kit reliable and strong enough for DH and freeride? I'm concerned about a blow out in a rock garden, or a heavy impact.

I'll be using it with Mavic EX 729 disc rims and Specialized 2.6" tires.

·
Registered
643 Posts
some people swear by it but when i tried to convert my maxxis mobsters to tubless it didnt work and so i purhcased a new set of minions to complemetn my new dee maxx set

The Dee maxxs are MEGA

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Especially with big tires.

RTM said:
is Stan's conversion kit reliable and strong enough for DH and freeride? I'm concerned about a blow out in a rock garden, or a heavy impact.

I'll be using it with Mavic EX 729 disc rims and Specialized 2.6" tires.
The Stan's system is especially reliable with big tires like those and bigger rims. At our shop we've noticed that as you try to go lower than 2.35 conventional tires with the Stan's strip system, you have to be more selective on the tires. Many smaller conventional tires work fine with the Stan's system but many don't. The harder and more gnarly the riding becomes and the harsher the terrain on the sidewalls and tire carcass, the greater the possibility of tire damage or bead separation. Big DH/FR conventional tires don't seem to have any of these issues. They seem to be the best candidates for Stan's tubeless setup.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I've been thinking about doing the Stan's conversion too. I've got Sun MTX rims with Maxxis 2.4" Holy Rollers. Are there any other conversion kits like Stans but a bit cheaper. If I recall correctly the DH/FR Stans kit is 60$ on pricepoint.com which gets you a pint of goop, a few strips and a couple valve stems. It seems like it should be more like a 25$ kit.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
why waste your money on the Stans Kit? buy yourself some 24" tubes and some homemade goo from your LBS and make them up that way.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
ghetto tubeless conversion process:

ingredients:

2 - 20" bmx tubes ($6 total)

1 - can of slime tubeless sealant ($9 total)

cut the bmx tubes open on the outside so they're a big flat hoop with a valve stem in the middle.

stretch one over your rim, stick the valve stem through the hole.

put your tire on.

blast some air in there and pump them up to seal the bead (watch for the area around the valve stem as there is sometimes more rubber there that causes a bump and a leak)

after the bead is seated, take the valve core out, squirt half the bottle of the slime in there, put the core back in, pump up your tire, and you're good to go.

now go back and cut off the flaps of innertube that are hanging out of the sides at the edge of the rim.

$15 and a little time and you've got two tubeless wheels with regular tires and regular rims.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
coma13 said:

ingredients:

2 - 20" bmx tubes ($6 total)

1 - can of slime tubeless sealant ($9 total)

cut the bmx tubes open on the outside so they're a big flat hoop with a valve stem in the middle.

stretch one over your rim, stick the valve stem through the hole.

put your tire on.

blast some air in there and pump them up to seal the bead (watch for the area around the valve stem as there is sometimes more rubber there that causes a bump and a leak)

after the bead is seated, take the valve core out, squirt half the bottle of the slime in there, put the core back in, pump up your tire, and you're good to go.

now go back and cut off the flaps of innertube that are hanging out of the sides at the edge of the rim.

$15 and a little time and you've got two tubeless wheels with regular tires and regular rims.
great advice, but we still run the stans goo

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
TNC said:
The Stan's system is especially reliable with big tires like those and bigger rims..
This is good for me to hear. I just converted my front to tubeless (SingleTrak with Nevegal 2.5") and I can't wait to try it out this weekend. I'll still bring a couple of tubes with me just in case, but after hearing how great they are, I'm getting kinda giddy :D . I'll do the rear tomorrow.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
FYI, before you use stans

from the Kenda site...
Kenda USA said:
ATTENTION KENDA VALUED CUSTOMERS
KENDA DOES NOT ENDORSE THE USE OF ANY FLUID BASED SEALANT PRODUCTS IN KENDA TUBE TYPE OR TUBELESS TYPE TIRES. USE OF ANY FLUID BASED PRODUCT IN KENDA TIRES WILL BE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY CLAIMS.

THANK YOU!
Kenda Management

If you have any questions, please contact
us at:
Tel: (614) 866-9803 x1
Fax: (614) 866-9805
Toll Free: (866) 536-3287 x1
[email protected]
link:http://kendausa.com/bicycle/technology.html

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Seen that, but...

red5 said:
I don't quite get it. I don't think Kenda uses any special rubber or compound that would react with Stan's, tubeless Slime or other sealant. I had a Kenda Kinetic on one of my bikes for over a year with Stans, and there was no degradation of the tire, inside or out. Other guys are using other Kendas in tubeless setup with no problems. Sounds like a lawyer deal or something. Not flaming you Red, but I think Kenda is full of it on that warning. Maybe a lawyer got a shot of Stan's sealant in his while checking his Kenda tires...LOL!

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
Even with the Michelins the stans eats part of the tire....no biggie.....by the time the tire wears out from riding the inside still has alot more time left over....I would run Kendas and Stans....many riders in the area do
Seen that, but...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
from the Kenda site...
link:http://kendausa.com/bicycle/technology.html
[/color]

I don't quite get it. I don't think Kenda uses any special rubber or compound that would react with Stan's, tubeless Slime or other sealant. I had a Kenda Kinetic on one of my bikes for over a year with Stans, and there was no degradation of the tire, inside or out. Other guys are using other Kendas in tubeless setup with no problems. Sounds like a lawyer deal or something. Not flaming you Red, but I think Kenda is full of it on that warning. Maybe a lawyer got a shot of Stan's sealant in his while checking his Kenda tires...LOL!

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
coma13 said:
yeah, I came across the link to that project on NSMB. excellent write up and it seems like a great solution. I figured I'd first figure out if the conversion was a good idea in the first place and then touch on options. I also saw Maxxis tire strips for $5 each. Not sure what I'd do about the valves though.

so, it seems you guys are pretty confident in the strength and reliability of a tubeless conversion for DH. one question about the home-made idea. would using inner tubes as a liner basically negate the weight loss benefit of a kit like Stan's?

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
RTM said:
yeah, I came across the link to that project on NSMB. excellent write up and it seems like a great solution. I figured I'd first figure out if the conversion was a good idea in the first place and then touch on options. I also saw Maxxis tire strips for $5 each. Not sure what I'd do about the valves though.

one question about the home-made idea. would using inner tubes as a liner basically negate the weight loss benefit of a kit like Stan's?
Whoa! I had never seen that before. That's a way better write up than mine.

·
Registered
752 Posts
RTM said:

so, it seems you guys are pretty confident in the strength and reliability of a tubeless conversion for DH. one question about the home-made idea. would using inner tubes as a liner basically negate the weight loss benefit of a kit like Stan's?
You remove quite a bit of the tube and don't need a heavy duty tube to do it. Weight would be within a few grams. I have run ghetto tubless for most of two seasons with no issues at all. I use stans too. :)

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Not as good as Stan's.

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
very cool post....Mold builder-need to check out
Shiver, I've used tubeless for over 4 years now, from back when you used mold builder latex, packing taped the rim valley, and then covered it all with electrical tape...no strips or Stan's formula. The sealant Stan's uses now and for awhile has some magic sh!t in it...LOL! You may have noticed the granules of some kind in there. They don't look like they'd do anything, but this stuff works so much better than the original Stan's and waaay better than the homemade mold builder latex. I'm a cheap basstid too, but the roll-yer-own latex just isn't as good...I've tried it. Now the tubeless slime and the homemade mold builder in a mix might be a decent compromise, but the tubeless Slime is a lot messier than Stan's IMHO. The ghetto BMX tube deal will work too, but again, the Stan's strips are beefier and will last through many tires unless you're hamfisted.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts