Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it’s about a week until I get my Roscoe delivered.

It has the Bontrager line 40 rims with Rocket Ron tyres.

Does anyone have any experience running this combo tubeless, and if so what valve stems/fluid amounts were used?

Or should I stick to tubed until I get better tyres?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You should not ride any mountain bike anywhere until it's tubeless. Your shop should be setting that up for you for free with purchase. I have not run the rims and tires you are running, but I have run my 27.5+ bike tubeless since I bought it. Treks routinely use a built in rim tape that doesn't even need to be taped over for tubeless. Just add sealant and install the valve and you're good to go--assuming it has that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, they do come pre-taped. Might purchase the valves/sealant and get the store to sort it when it’s delivered.

Any valve/sealant recommendations, am classics are tempting purely because they come in red - but if they’re no good then I would rather get something that works.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Check the tires, some of the Rocket Rons are not tubeless ready. I bought those ones for my wife's bike because they are the lightest ones, but then found out after the fact that they aren't "technically" tubeless compatible. Haven't tried it yet, but wanted to at least throw out my experience there.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Check the tires, some of the Rocket Rons are not tubeless ready. I bought those ones for my wife's bike because they are the lightest ones, but then found out after the fact that they aren't "technically" tubeless compatible. Haven't tried it yet, but wanted to at least throw out my experience there.
Before tubeless tyres were common we all used to throw in some Stan's and run them tubeless anyway. They weeped a little but otherwise worked well, just use a little more sealant.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Orange/Stans debate is equal to the Shimano/SRAM debate. No wrong answer.

You need at least 4oz in the 27.5+. You may find you have to add to it shortly after (weeks) as the new sealant will dry up as it's coating the inside of the tire.

My preferences it purchase a 2oz bottle of Stans. Cut the tip very small. Fill the tire through the valve stem. In subsequent applications I will have a 16oz of 32oz bottle of Stans that I use to fill the 2oz bottle to add to the tires every few months or as necessary.

Simplest and cleanest for me is:
Fill small bottle
Remove valve core and keep valve stem someplace between 10:00 and 2:00
Press tip of small bottle to valve stem
Rotate tire so stem is near the bottom so the sealant can be squirted into tire, keeping the tip pressed tightly against valve stem.

Purpose of keeping stem at the top is to not have to tip the small bottle and spill it all over.

Or purchase 2-2oz bottles every few months and add a bottle to each tire. Generally 6 months in hot climates would be max time before it's dried up. I 'think' about checking every couple months but usually forgot. My tires were dry when I checked them the other day. haha

Like others have mentioned, I'd see if the shop can get you set up before taking delivery. It will then be on you to keep them filled every few months. Find out what sealant they used for you and use the same. Note: Orange is quite a bit more expensive than Stans -if you're trying to be budget conscious.

·
g=9.764m/s2
807 Posts
Or purchase 2-2oz bottles every few months and add a bottle to each tire. Generally 6 months in hot climates would be max time before it's dried up. I 'think' about checking every couple months but usually forgot...Note: Orange is quite a bit more expensive than Stans -if you're trying to be budget conscious.
Or try Berryman Tire Seal-R... $30 a gallon at Tractor Supply Co, uses fibers, contains no latex and does not dry out...may weep a little longer than normal but does stop... much more affordable when you have multiple wheel-sets and try different tyres. I've not experienced a puncture yet so can't report on how quickly it plugs a hole.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
So it's about a week until I get my Roscoe delivered.

It has the Bontrager line 40 rims with Rocket Ron tyres.

Does anyone have any experience running this combo tubeless, and if so what valve stems/fluid amounts were used?

Or should I stick to tubed until I get better tyres?

Do not waste sealant on these tires. In fact get an upgrade immediately from the lbs! My daughter had rocket ron tires (performance) on her plus bike w 40mm id rims. When we started dropping pressures to experiment she crashed heavily twice. Think twisted bars and bruises. Upon inspection we found that the knobs have no support at lighter pressures. They are quite tall and simple just fold over. They change tire designs all the time. So check it out for yourself. We went w maxxis recon and she hasnt been down since.

Does anyone want to buy some gently used rocket rons???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think I will just go tubeless and look at new tyres in a couple of months.

The fluid/valves aren’t exactly expensive, certainly not like putting £100 in to new tyres before it even leaves the shop. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The newer addix compounds are suposedly better. But just confirm my comments in store and compare to other tires at similar pressures. If you can see what im talking about then At least pump the lbs for a decent price to upgrade just the front.

·
Rippin da fAt
10,283 Posts
If a RR is Evo it is tubeless ready, even in a liteskin. I rode a pair of liteskin 3.0's with Orange Seal for the life of em with zero trouble. They have tubeless easy printed right on em.

The Performance line tires were not tubeless specific but would work tho.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If a RR is Evo it is tubeless ready, even in a liteskin. I rode a pair of liteskin 3.0's with Orange Seal for the life of em with zero trouble. They have tubeless easy printed right on em.

The Performance line tires were not tubeless specific but would work tho.
They're performance, aramid bead - it states tubeless ready in the description.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.