Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Bontrager Race Lite Tubeless rims but I don't want to deal with the tubeless tires right now. Maybe down the line but not now. Can I install regular tubes and tubed tires on the rim? I don't see why not but wanted to double check.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Rock Toy said:
I have a set of Bontrager Race Lite Tubeless rims but I don't want to deal with the tubeless tires right now. Maybe down the line but not now. Can I install regular tubes and tubed tires on the rim? I don't see why not but wanted to double check.

Thanks in advance!
I would totally run sealant + tubeless ready tires. On my Race X Lite, the tires were super easy to inflate, and I think the ride is much more supple without tubes. Plus you won't have to worry about flats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why? Well, I got the wheel set for the right price and am not sure whether or not I am ready to step up to tubeless, due to the cost of tubeless tires and the mess associated with the sealant. Maybe its not that bad and I'm just tripping. Ideally, I would love to trade the rims for a set of tubed rims but I'm not getting any bites on the trade proposition. I'll head down to the local bike shop and see if I get any bites....

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Rock Toy said:
Why? Well, I got the wheel set for the right price and am not sure whether or not I am ready to step up to tubeless, due to the cost of tubeless tires and the mess associated with the sealant. Maybe its not that bad and I'm just tripping. Ideally, I would love to trade the rims for a set of tubed rims but I'm not getting any bites on the trade proposition. I'll head down to the local bike shop and see if I get any bites....
Sealant is not messy when done well. You put the tire on, pressurize it. Then take out the valve core, and add in the sealant through the open valve. Put the pump on, blow any left over sealant out. Put the valve core in, then inflate.

You can pick up tires for $30/piece if you look around. But yeah, there is no negative impact if you ran the wheelset with tubes.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
The Bonty tubeless system should work with your existing tires. So the cost would be the proper Bonty tubeless rim strip (i think ~$10 each if it didn't come with them) and a bottle of sealant (~$20ish) I would give it a shot at that price, and then go to tubes if I didn't like it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so if I decided to run tubes, should I remove the rim strips before installing the tire and tube? I am assuming that the rim strip will not allow the tire to seat properly, will it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts