Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
You, sir, are bummed.:bluefrown:

You will need to buy new uppers for your fork. That's too much of a difference to be fixed by a simple headtube milling...

EDIT: that stem clamp looks tall. You can probably just buy a new stem.

JMH

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
a low stack headset might bail you out. some stems might have a shorter clamping area as well.

good luck. :madman:

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Some fork companies will press in a new steerer tube and may charge less than a new headset. Call Fox and see what it'll cost.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SHOULD I SELL THE RLC 130 AND START OVER? HOW MUCH WILL NEW UPPERS COST? THIS FORK IS ALMOST BRAND NEW:madman: WENT FROM A HOMMER TO A GOMMER.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
A low stack headset will help a little, but if the geometry feels out of whack without running spacers under the stem, you will just have to pony up and get a new fork, otherwise, your ride will never fit the way you want it to. The same issue exists for anyone going from an older RFX to an 07. The head tube is significantly longer on the 07. 1.25 inches longer on the XL frame if my memory serves me.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I WILL TRY THAT FIRST, THANKS:thumbsup: LOTS OF RIDERS TALK ABOUT A PIKE ON A 5-SPOT, IS MY FOX AS GOOD ?

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Calm down! Breathe. Unlock the Caps Lock...:p

Measure the clamp height of the stem. How tall is it?

JMH

tg said:
SHOULD I SELL THE RLC 130 AND START OVER? HOW MUCH WILL NEW UPPERS COST? THIS FORK IS ALMOST BRAND NEW:madman: WENT FROM A HOMMER TO A GOMMER.

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,160 Posts
Tg:

How long is that Hope stem? I ran into a similar situation a few years back and was able to get around it with an Avid SAAGO stem. It employs a collett style clamping system and allows you to get away with a rediculously short amount of steerer tube. Based on the amount of steere I see there...it would work

I have one laying around...your welcome to try it out.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
tg said:
I WILL TRY THAT FIRST, THANKS:thumbsup: LOTS OF RIDERS TALK ABOUT A PIKE ON A 5-SPOT, IS MY FOX AS GOOD ?
No, but you will need a new front wheel, it's a thru axle.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
This stem has a 35mm clamp height. It retails for approximately $50 and would solve your problem. It is just one of many possible stem solutions, Aqua's stem might work too.

JMH

Attachments

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
thats a helluva idea aqua but im not sure the saggo's 2 small bolts on its face plate will deal with what a spot will do under a bigger guy. maybe im wrong, thats why im askin.

last night i scored my black box brakes back to match my saggo. i have a project in mind.... still.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
And worst case, find out the cost of a new steerer before buying a new fork.
Do you really need to buy new uppers on a Fox to replace the steerer?
IIRC Zoke charges ~$50 bucks to press one in.

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,160 Posts
Bikezilla said:
And worst case, find out the cost of a new steerer before buying a new fork.
Do you really need to buy new uppers on a Fox to replace the steerer?
IIRC Zoke charges ~$50 bucks to press one in.
Yup, steerer tube is not replaceable on those Fox's. I looked into as well. You're looking at $130+ retail, to replace that stanchion/steerer assy.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Yikes. If you do have to get a new steerer...I'd buy non-Fox fork before eating that poo-pie.
Pike or RS's QR equivalent would be a good choice for the Spot.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
THE HOPE IS A 110.I WOULD LIKE TO USE IT IF I CAN. I HAVE 3 OR 4 FREINDS WHO HAVE CRACKED FACE PLATES ON FSAs.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Dude, unless you're posting through web-tv, could ya please take the caps-lock off? Cactuscorn is alergic to upper case. :D :ciappa::p
Just funnin ya... it's raining out so no ridey for me.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bikezilla said:
Dude, unless you're posting through web-tv, could ya please take the caps-lock off?
We promise to read your replies even with the little letters. :D :ciappa::p Just funnin ya... it's raining out so no ridy for me.
Sorry, i am such the computer SPED!:p

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
The old-style FR-200 faceplates that cracked frequently were discontinued two or three years ago.

I wasn't referring to the length of the stem, I was referring to the height of the part that clamps on the steerer tube. This dimension varies widely among stem manufacturers. Buy a stem with a shorter clamp height and save yourself a bunch of cash and trouble.

JMH

tg said:
THE HOPE IS A 110.I WOULD LIKE TO USE IT IF I CAN. I HAVE 3 OR 4 FREINDS WHO HAVE CRACKED FACE PLATES ON FSAs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts