Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had problems with flats, and its starting to suck. Today i had two flats... first the rear then the front. Pinchflat on the rear, the front I didnt even bother to look cause it was getting dark... just swapped a spare tube and headed to the truck.

Can anyone suggest some good tubes that are indestructible? Or should I start looking into tubeless?

I like to run 40psi, tires are 2.35x26.

·
responsible zombie owner
654 Posts
Have you considered using Slime? It coats the tube and self-seals small punctures (up to 1/8"). Slime offers various solutions to flats:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11...Tubes/Accessories/Slime-Self-Healing-Tube.htm
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/12...s-74-Tubes/Accessories/Slime-Tube-Sealant.htm
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16...ccessories/Slime-Tube-Protector-Twin-Pack.htm

I don't know of any indestructible tubes. Going tubeless has its own hassles (eg tyres losing air) as well as requiring some initial outlay (new rims) so I'd think carefully before making the switch.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Another thing, whats the deal with Presta valves vs. Schrader valves? On my old bike I converted the rims to Schrader cause i got tired of trying to check my air pressure with Presta valves.

My new bike has Presta, and the rims are too nice to be drilling through. I like how the Presta stems are metal v.s. rubber schrader valves... but again, I can't check my air pressure and Im sure the low pressure was the cause of both pinchflats yesterday.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Presta valves make for a stiffer rim because of the smaller hole in the rim.

You could buy a pump with a psi gauge instead of using a hand-held gauge, or what ever it is you are using now to check your pressure.

You should be able to get a pretty good idea as to whether or not you are running too low a pressure just by looking at your tire when you are sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Be sure to thoroughly check the inside of your tire when changing a flat for any thorns or other intrusions that might flat your new tube. If you're pinch flatting, your tube will often have side by side punctures that are known as snakebites. I would think with that size tire at 40psi it would be pretty hard to pinch flat unless you are pretty heavy and really slamming into the rocks.

Smokey

·
Hey! Watch This!
75 Posts
If you want indestructible... I had some "tubes" that we're nothing more than a solid ring of rubber. The would never blow out because they were solid rubber. Good luck with the weight though haha. They were so heavy.

I thought they were the best thing ever when I was 10 though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i don't know how many people still run these, but i've always run mr. tuffy tire liners in my bikes. i know it adds weight but it's a whole lot cheaper than buying a new rim set to run tubeless. as for the pinch flats check out racerpartswholesale.com for a professional style air gauge. cheap gauges are always going to start out inaccurate and get worse over time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.