Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
What gear are you running
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a full mechanical break down at my last race. I exhausted all of my supplies (4 CO2's, 2 patches, 1 tube (defective), Tire Plugs, tire irons, plus some other stuff I probably don't remember). I HAB'ed for about a mile before I finally asked a rider for a tube and CO2 to get rolling again (it was 3 miles to S/F). So this lesson learned has me looking what I carry during races, and how I pack it. I am not much of a jersey pocket kind of guy. Just don't like the stuff rattling around back there or the way it feels on my back.

I am just curious what you guys/gals all use. Trying to decide between a decent seat pack, seat post mountable kit, water bottle mount (not really a great option on my small frame, as I want to carry 2 bottles on the frame). I would really prefer a seat post mountable kit that will hold 1 or 2 tubes (I know that is asking a lot), CO2's + head, tire irons, etc...

Would love to see some pictures or descriptions of your setup to help me decide what to do... Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did all that carnage occur on a single lap? If so, I am not sure you could carry much more than that.

I run tubeless and for enduro's I usually only carry a tube, two co2s/lever/trigger and boot. That all goes in my pockets as I typically wear a 30oz (or 50) camelback on long stuff.

Sometimes if its a really rocky course I will carry some patches and a 2nd tube but very rarely as I don't really like to do enduros on brutal courses...ha. If 2nd tube is required I wear 50oz pack and attach via tie downs straps.

I've seen folks pack their lives into 100 oz Camelbacks and others roll with one tube/one co2 and lever on a simple strap and do fine. It's all preference and weighing pros and cons. Sounds like nothing could have helped you that day but a good spare tube.

·
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, one lap. Bent the rim, so it would not seal back up tubeless, and the tube I had was defective at the seam. I was carrying a camelback, but trying to wean myself off of it for races, and just run bottles and pack my gear on the bike...

Been looking at the the stuff these guys have and about to pull the trigger on a seat strap and tube boot... Backcountry Research - Makers of the AWESOME STRAPS

You are right, I guess if I had just had a good tube I would have been ok. That and I was in panic mode because I was doing well and wanted a quick fix and blew through 2 CO2's before I realized it was the rim leaking not the puncture in the tire.

Thanks for the response! I am new to racing and this was a big learning experience for me.

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,728 Posts
I use a seat pack (pictured) into which I can get two tubes (32c cyclocross tubes for a 29er, run the tires tubeless), tire levers, multitool, patch kit, aluminum foil for tire boot). I have a Lenze pump mounted on the down tube. This is my setup for training/fun rides and endurance races. When I do the local XC race series, I take off the seat pack and sometimes the pump -- makes me feel "light" and I can walk out if I get it a flat (only happened once in the past 16 races). A flat tire in a one to two hour XC race means I'm way behind and I don't really mind the walk out if I'm effectively already out of the race. A flat in a 6+ hour endurance race isn't a deal killer and the "walk" is not too be contemplated.
Leftied SS.jpg
(Edit/Additional Info: Tubes go in an old sock in the seat bag -- sock prevents other things from wearing a hole in the tube -- never wore a hole in a tube in 35 years of serious cycling using the sock casing. Don't like to carry tools or inflators in rear pocket -- nothing sharp -- as I learned the hard way about landing on them. Back pockets are for clothes and food. Finally, I've never been stranded due to a pump failing, but have walked a good many mile when I was trying to do the CO2 thing...)

Reactions: dirtbyte

·
Category Winner
6,079 Posts
I had a full mechanical break down at my last race. I exhausted all of my supplies (4 CO2's, 2 patches, 1 tube (defective)...
I just posted about the "hole in the tube" thing this morning. I've now adopted a few different habits to avoid such problems in the future:

Bad Idea Racing: Make Great Bike Plannings

*industry disclaimer: I'm sponsored by BR.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Multiple punctures in a race is tough all the way around. Look really hard at the prospect of converting to a tubeless setup. We have these nasty little goat heads all over the place (pebble size seed with evil thorns sticking out). I'd be changing tubes almost every ride if it weren't for tubeless.

As for gear, it may seem minimal, but you should be able to get away with the following at a race or a long ride. I carry a BR Tulbag with:
- one tire lever
- two CO2 cartridges
- inflator head for CO2
- the side off of a tube box to use as a tire boot.
- presta->schrader adapter
- rolled up, small amount of duct tape
- small multitool w/chain breaker & spoke wrench
- small, glueless patch kit
- $20 bill

The Tulbag is slim and stays compact. I imagine it would fit well in the pocket of some shorts. Mine goes in my jersey pocket, I barely notice it. I also like the textured fabric, makes it easier to pull out of a pocket. I've ordered a Race strap from BR to carry a tube and another CO2 cartridge that used to go in a jersey pocket. Now I'll have room for more food/water or a jacket.

Check out Dicky's blog for some more info on how the BR gear works and ideas on how you can use it, link to the newest BR stuff is below. I found out about BR when I stumbled across his blog last year and got the Tulbag because I liked what I saw and knew it would work well for me. It also doesn't hurt that his regular blog posts are quite entertaining.
Bad Idea Racing: Infomercial: Day Two

·
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I was already running tubeless. Mid race I had a hard hit that bent my rim, and it was leaking at the bead/rim interface, combined with a defective tube, I was hosed. It just exposed several things that I was doing wrong, and I am now correcting those things :) Just wanted to see what others were doing. Going out for the race I was setup tubeless (with fresh sealant), had a tube, 4 co2's, patch kit, tire levers, etc... Used it all up and it still was not enough, LOL.

Lots of lessons learned. Ordered a tube tarp, strap, and tulbag today, oh and some higher quality tubes to carry, LOL. The POS one I had split at the seam and there was no fixing it...

Thanks again everyone for all the advice!

·
I am Walt
6,340 Posts
Good thread...I do 12/24-hour solo SS, and am tired of lugging my full Osprey pack around every lap...but I'm a creature of habit, and it's hard to change! Looking for good options for the essentials...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I run a Revelate Designs Feed Bag and a very small seat bag.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Cockpit/Mountain-Feedbag

The seat bag has a tube, 2 - 30oz CO2, and the inflation tip. In the feed bag, inside a small soft sunglass bag, I carry a multitool with a chain breaker, patches, and a quick link. That leaves plenty of room for food, gels or whatever else in the feedbag too.

I usually carry between 1- 3 bottles with me depending on the length of the lap or ride.

·
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the video! Can't want for mine to get here! Next race is not for another 3 weeks, so hopefully my stuff will be here by then. Plan is this..

1) High quality tube wrapped in tube tarp
2) 20oz CO2 + 1 tire lever in the Race 3 strap (as shown in the video) - Note: it seems like all my nearby LBS'es are alergic to the 20oz'ers, all they ever have is 16... I guess 20 isn't very ENDURO-YO
3) Tulbag with
- 2-3 16oz CO2 cartridges (wrapped in rubber bands or something to keep them from banging into each other)
- inflator head for CO2
- Park tool tire boot.
- small multi-tool w/chain breaker & spoke wrench
- patch kit
- $20 for emergencies / additional tire boot
- SRAM Powerlink
- Mini tire plugs
4) Energy Gels (Jersey pockets)

Really looking forward to being camelback free on race day (and maybe even regular rides). Once everything comes in I will post up some pictures. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I feel like such a newb!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I found a small zippered pouch that is approximately 2"x4" at the local Menards. It came in a 3 pack that I believe was for tools. In this pouch I can fit my mini-tool; a Park patch kit and 2 spare CO2s.

I find this really handy as I know that for every ride (road, MTB, cross) I need to grab my tool pouch and my CO2 inflator (pre-loaded with 3rd cartridge). This gives me more than enough to get out of a problem (running tubeless). Both of these items will fit into one jersey pocket.

For a longer ride, or a remote ride/endurance race, I'll add a tube to the mix.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Great thread! I've been looking to ditch the Camelback this year for my 100 milers and those goodies from BR are exactly what I want.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've got a great bag from Jandd that I have used for 15+ years! it holds a lightweight tube, a mini pump, a multi tool, and tire boot. I put the tube in a ziplock bag to keep it from damage, and the tools go into the smaller pocket to keep them away from the tube and pump. I used to carry a big air in it until one day I needed it and found it empty. The rubbing of the seat rails had somehow worn through the can and allowed the air out. I replaced it with a mini pump to avoid another long walk home. Now I If I'm doing something that requires a camelback, I can leave this little guy at home, as my camelback is already stocked. For racing, I carry a tube and co2 in the back pocket, as well as my seat bag, and use the seat bag as the backup, if something really goes bad. generally, if I get 2flats, I'm not worried about having to take the time to unpack. My seat bag has been with me through 4 different bikes, and thousands of miles, always loaded, and easy to keep on the bike for every ride. I did need to replace the Velcro around the seat tube strap after 10 years of use, but what a bargain for $25. It keeps dirt and horse crap off my tools and tube, and provides an easy toolkit for everyday use.

Mini Mountain Wedge

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just checked this out it's pretty much what I do just using an old strap from a toe clip. I have wraped my CO2 cartridge and inflator inside the tube before then just carry my multi tool in my jersey with a quick link folded inside of that.

·
Feral Roadie
735 Posts
A relatively cheap but bombproof strap is the Voile Strap. I mostly use mine for backcountry skiing, but they are much better than any nylon strap.

Voile: Voile Straps

They are stretchy but extremely tough and cut proof. You just have to make sure the buckle is not in contact with the tube.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts