Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Paterek Manual Mr. Paterek states you can bend chain stays and seat stays but filling the tubes with a fusible alloy (one that melts below h2o boiling temp) and putting it in a vice and simply applying force. He says this won't crimp the tube. Anyone ever do this before? It seems so simple compared to getting a proper tube bender without the dies.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
If you use cerrobend or other low temp alloys, you need to make sure you get it all out, every molecule of it, before you start your joinery. Nasty, nasty, stuff in there if you get to start off gassing. It's also very expensive.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Don is correct as usual.

People get all worried about lead and cadmium. As long as they are locked up in an alloy you are perfectly safe. Treat the stuff with respect, don't go burning it or munching on it or sleeping with it and you will be fine.

Dave Bohm
Bohemian

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Wade... just saw the maroon bike and I think the design is oh so clever. I was wondering if I could mimic that design for my own use and for friends (no money being made). I only know how to braze, but your design would actually work with lugs (put the ST-TT and TT-HT lugs upside down).

Marc

·
Registered
249 Posts
inspired by mantis

mchimonas said:
Hey Wade... just saw the maroon bike and I think the design is oh so clever. I was wondering if I could mimic that design for my own use and for friends (no money being made). I only know how to braze, but your design would actually work with lugs (put the ST-TT and TT-HT lugs upside down).

Marc
Marc, that frame is full tribute to late 80s mantis valkyrie. Those old mantises were fillet brazed but I tigged mine. I like to build frames that are inspired by old designs, bikes I wanted back in the day but couldn't have for one reason or another. Credit where credit is due.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i have tried bendalloy. its possible to wrinkle 4130 even when they are filled with this stuff ;)
Probably my fault, trying to bend it with a home made press with too small radius
http://happymtb.org/forum/file.php/12/file=20455

the metal is very similar to led but melts at about 80 deg C. I found it to be a little bit too much trouble to work with. I will build a better tube bender and even try ice before I give bendalloy another try.

When I heated the tube to melt out the bendalloy I collected the liquid alloy in a stainless bucket. some of the alloy really stuck to the stainless steel. I hope I got all af the alloy out of my tube...

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,703 Posts
On Discovery channel they showed how to bend brass for instruments (I think it was trumpets). They filled it with soap (dish detergent) and froze it. I think the point was that the detergent was kind of "plastic" even when frozen unlike water which would be hard.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
vulture said:
....Credit where credit is due.
Finally someone with a professional attitude towards IP.

I'd love to do some 'improved' Richard Cunningham designs. Most of them have so many engineering flaws it's not funny, but there is a definite aesthetic there that I can relate to.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.