Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so here's the deal, i've decided to get a 20" rig once i have the cash hopefully in the next few weeks. why? well my new HT build is going to be more DJ oriented(longer/taller frame) and honestly a 20" owns all for techy street riding. im not planning on building one up part for part to my liking, i just want one that will fit me and will last without having to upgrade anything. im worried about TT length, i would rather have a 21" TT then a 20.75 but most completes come in 20.75. thought about getting the frame of my choice and a built kit, probably would come out to about the same price but just wondering what people think about the TT length issue. im 6'-6' 1"....thanks!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yea my boy is around 5'-10" and looking at a 21" so you'd probably be more suited to a 22" like sd said. I have a 19.75" but I'm only 5'4"-5'5" and it fits me perfect.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'm 6'2" and have been riding 21" top tube frames for 16 years. IMHO 21" or 20.75" would be fine for you. Hell, once you acclimate to the feel of a twenty you can even go shorter. I will grab my daughter's bike with a 19" top tube and really have no problems riding it.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well thanks for all the info bros. my last BMX bike was a 20.75 but this was a while ago. not sure how much shorter i was but i figure now im just going to try a 21" or so. probably will work out fine. thanks

·
Old fast guy
98 Posts
the top tube length is not the only factor to look at for the overall length. you need to take in the seat post angle into consideration as this will make one frame feel longer than another with the same tt length. i would always measure from the center of the stem where the bars are to the center of the seat post.

for example a haro with a 20.5"tt is the same length as a hoffman 21"tt if measured the way described above this is the effective top tube length. go to your local shop and try it out :thumbsup:

·
Registered
952 Posts
501 said:
the top tube length is not the only factor to look at for the overall length. you need to take in the seat post angle into consideration as this will make one frame feel longer than another with the same tt length. i would always measure from the center of the stem where the bars are to the center of the seat post.

for example a haro with a 20.5"tt is the same length as a hoffman 21"tt if measured the way described above this is the effective top tube length. go to your local shop and try it out :thumbsup:
Don't measure that way on a BMX. You spent most of your time standing on them, so it just doesn't work. It would be better to compare the horizontal distance between the center of the headtube and the center of the cranks.

·
Old fast guy
98 Posts
why not???? you use your seat not as a seat but as guide. the way to look at it is that it still is what determines the feel of a longer bike. it just opens the space more and the seat is where you will center your body and weight over it. you also need that space opened up if your tall to give more room to rotate and move around to me it is the most effective way. it is a good way to tell if it is really going to be longer or shorter than current set up. if you are just starting to ride than it is going to be trail and error to find what best fits your style of riding:)

but to each his own

·
Registered
952 Posts
The way you measure would show that the Haro has a slacker seat tube angle, which would mean the cranks are closer to the bars, which means your body is closer to the front of the bike and your knees closer to the bars.

In my 19 years of serious BMX riding I've never met a rider that centers themselves around the seat, but I see everyone standing up.

Being 6'2" this stuff really matters too me.

·
Old fast guy
98 Posts
good point, but thats just it the whole idea is that it is tough to just measure top tube for size you need to look at the overall spec. the standing up part is right and thats what i meant by using the seat as a guide. tough to explain the thought behind it.

when i look to buy a new frame with my 25 years of bmx and mtb riding i have to look at these specs to determine how the bike will ride since i know what i want as far as feel goes. and occasionaly i will experiment with different set ups.

list goes

-top tube length
-chainstay length
-seat tube angle
-bb hieght
-head angle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.