Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I took delivery of Philip's large XCE last night. It arrived unscathed during the trip from Kodiak to Anchorage. (Good packing job Ts) I happened to mention in a previous post if he was to pursue a Flux purchase I might help him subsidize it by taking his XCE off his hands. A few e-mail volleys later, and we struck a deal.

If you happened to catch Enoch's XCE love post below, you might also recall I mentioned riding an undersized medium XCE for too many years. It became clear once I got comfortable on my large Spot, so I've been keeping my eyes open for a large to replace my medium for some time. Opportunity knocked and I pounced. Included in the deal was a Pushed Vanilla, an upgrade from what I'm used to, and I'm anxious to ride it and see if I can detect a discernable difference.

It's all assembled, but I can't hit dirt yet, there's still too much slush. My shakedown run will just have to be to the post office....I have to get a check to Tscheezy for the frame yet. Thanks Philip, and I promise to ride it as hard as you do, to take it to remote places on epics every chance I get, to thrash it but at the same time to lovingly maintain it as we go. If you catch yourself missing the ole gal, just swing through Anchorage and I'll let you get reacquainted. Or if you ever happen into town, don't bring a bike, just your riding gear and you can hop on.

Randy

P.S. This means there's a polished '99 medium going on the auction blocks if anyone's interested.....
 

Attachments

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
I realized now I should have charged more since it comes with an MTBR sticker already installed. ;)

I hope it treats you as well as it treated me. And in case you were wondering, I never ran into a jack spruce with that bike. :D
 

·
Baked Alaskan
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
A second Turner added to the quiver, nice. So does that mean tscheezy IS getting a Flux? Dammit, that would probably make him the Don of the ATM -- Alaska Turner Mafia if he does.

Man that blue looks good...
 

·
My cup runneth over
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
A question for you Endo': Assuming you are keeping your 'Spot, what are you planning to use the XCE for that you wouldn't use the 'Spot for? It would seem (on the surface) that the 'Spot would be better in just about every useage - not to knock the XCE... :) . Clearly there is something below the surface I do not know (plus I ride a Burner and have never riden either of your two bikes!).
 

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rmac said:
A question for you Endo': Assuming you are keeping your 'Spot, what are you planning to use the XCE for that you wouldn't use the 'Spot for? It would seem (on the surface) that the 'Spot would be better in just about every useage - not to knock the XCE... :) . Clearly there is something below the surface I do not know (plus I ride a Burner and have never riden either of your two bikes!).
Sure rmac, they appear similar to each other. Only one inch travel difference, and one degree head tube angle difference, only one inch wheelbase difference, one pound frame weight difference, one inch BB height difference. When you combine all the differences, all of a sudden they sound like very different beasts, and they do ride differently.

For the tight twisties of our local trails, the XCE is a bit sportier with its steeper head tube and shorter wheelbase and lower center of gravity. If I'm climbing all day, the lighter weight and touch more efficient pedaling make it a good choice too. I'm sure you know this from riding your Burner. Those are the conditions I may choose to ride the XCE for.

But, we also have some trails where you may bang over 4 or 5 inch roots all day, and the extra travel is a luxury. It may not sound like much difference with only one more inch of travel, but it's noticably plusher, and you'll feel way less fatigued after a forty miler. The Spot's place is for more comfortable service in much rougher terrain, or for the higher speed opportunities.

They each have a slightly different niche that they're better suited for, so I wouldn't absolutely say the Spot is clearly better at every usage. But you have a point too, there's nothing I ride my XCE for that I couldn't ride my Spot for, but vice versa as well. They'll work, but to me it's not about choosing a single bike that satisfies all my riding conditions. It's about variety and experiencing different seat of the pants characteristics, and being fortunate enough to have a choice. Most enthusiasts I know have more than one ride. You just may find that out for yourself if you ever ride a Spot. They're similar but also very different. If you find yourself wanting one, you may not give up your Burner to do it either.

Look at the next level, a ton of Turner homers out there have Spots, but have 6 Packs in their quiver too. For all homers it's either about different horses for different courses, or for the mood that just happens to strike you that day!

Randy
 

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
WV_XCE said:
Endo,

That's one long stem you got there. What size is it, about 130mm 5degree?
Looks are deceiving, it's only a 120mm. I had a 135 and 130 on the medium, and a 120 is just the ticket on the large. Because it doesn't have the taller profile of something like a Thomson, it just appears longer.

Randy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Woohoo....................

EndoRando said:
Yes, I took delivery of Philip's large XCE last night. It arrived unscathed during the trip from Kodiak to Anchorage. (Good packing job Ts) I happened to mention in a previous post if he was to pursue a Flux purchase I might help him subsidize it by taking his XCE off his hands. A few e-mail volleys later, and we struck a deal.

If you happened to catch Enoch's XCE love post below, you might also recall I mentioned riding an undersized medium XCE for too many years. It became clear once I got comfortable on my large Spot, so I've been keeping my eyes open for a large to replace my medium for some time. Opportunity knocked and I pounced. Included in the deal was a Pushed Vanilla, an upgrade from what I'm used to, and I'm anxious to ride it and see if I can detect a discernable difference.

It's all assembled, but I can't hit dirt yet, there's still too much slush. My shakedown run will just have to be to the post office....I have to get a check to Tscheezy for the frame yet. Thanks Philip, and I promise to ride it as hard as you do, to take it to remote places on epics every chance I get, to thrash it but at the same time to lovingly maintain it as we go. If you catch yourself missing the ole gal, just swing through Anchorage and I'll let you get reacquainted. Or if you ever happen into town, don't bring a bike, just your riding gear and you can hop on.

Randy

P.S. This means there's a polished '99 medium going on the auction blocks if anyone's interested.....
Man that is purty Endo.....Maybe we can do a LONG post office run before too long.
Now all you need is a Nitrous.

The Traveler (AkDave)
 

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AkDave said:
Man that is purty Endo.....Maybe we can do a LONG post office run before too long.
Now all you need is a Nitrous.

The Traveler (AkDave)
Yo traveler, I'm here until Monday morning, just let me know when you can break away.

Philip, the check's in the mail. I made a 28 mile PO run and it felt comfortably familiar. Can't wait for dirt!

Randy
 

·
My cup runneth over
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
EndoRando said:
Sure rmac, they appear similar to each other. Only one inch travel difference, and one degree head tube angle difference, only one inch wheelbase difference, one pound frame weight difference, one inch BB height difference. When you combine all the differences, all of a sudden they sound like very different beasts, and they do ride differently.

For the tight twisties of our local trails, the XCE is a bit sportier with its steeper head tube and shorter wheelbase and lower center of gravity. If I'm climbing all day, the lighter weight and touch more efficient pedaling make it a good choice too. I'm sure you know this from riding your Burner. Those are the conditions I may choose to ride the XCE for.

But, we also have some trails where you may bang over 4 or 5 inch roots all day, and the extra travel is a luxury. It may not sound like much difference with only one more inch of travel, but it's noticably plusher, and you'll feel way less fatigued after a forty miler. The Spot's place is for more comfortable service in much rougher terrain, or for the higher speed opportunities.

They each have a slightly different niche that they're better suited for, so I wouldn't absolutely say the Spot is clearly better at every usage. But you have a point too, there's nothing I ride my XCE for that I couldn't ride my Spot for, but vice versa as well. They'll work, but to me it's not about choosing a single bike that satisfies all my riding conditions. It's about variety and experiencing different seat of the pants characteristics, and being fortunate enough to have a choice. Most enthusiasts I know have more than one ride. You just may find that out for yourself if you ever ride a Spot. They're similar but also very different. If you find yourself wanting one, you may not give up your Burner to do it either.

Look at the next level, a ton of Turner homers out there have Spots, but have 6 Packs in their quiver too. For all homers it's either about different horses for different courses, or for the mood that just happens to strike you that day!

Randy
Cool, enjoy!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top