Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 5 Spot and the Flux dissimilar enough that I should get both of them or are they too similar? If they are different enough, what suspensions should I use on each? Sorry to be asking so many painful questions, I just can't seem to decide!

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
heres my take cc#2. i got a flux not long ago to replace a 10 year old burner. love it for all things xc, longer days and fast flowing trails. by far the finest ride quality ive ever discovered. check some of my past posts on the flux.

not long after that, as i read all of the storys of cheese and the gang talkin bout how cool the spot is, i started talkin to dt about a bigger bike. i wanted a spot but he insisted i make a more substancial move to a 6" bike and i ended up with a '02 rfx thats only days away now his point was the 2 are close enough to warrant a pack/rfx even though id be a moron to ride the flux like a spot for fear of bustin it in half. now some do things on a spot most do on a flux and thats cool. its a excellent do it all bike where the flux is more reserved in its abilities.

so i think ya have a choice here. do a spot as a single ride or consider a flux and a new rfx. or just get a flux and be more land based in yer riding. man what a fun bike! guess ya could do just a rfx and never climb again. hehe. good luck with it and keep us unpdated

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hey CC,
Lots of tough decisions. I recently went through your situation.

I ride in the north east too (upstate NY, VT, MA) on the typical tight XC, techie, short and steep up and downs you mentioned. Grafton, Skidmore, Spier Falls, NEK trails, etc.

I was flip-flopping over the 575, 5.5, and 5-Spot. After demoing all of them I went for the 5-spot. As others have mentioned you can go the light trail bike route or load it up with some burly FR stuff. Sounds like you'd be a candiate for a Spot with a Pushed RP3 and a Fox Float.

IMO, I'd call the 5-spot and 5.5 a tie for our type of terrain. I would have been happy as h#ll to own either. The 5.5 even looks a little sexier to me. The nod to the 5-spot came after all the bearing issues I read about on the 5.5. Who wants that much maintenance?
The bushings on the 5-spot clinched it for me.

·
Registered
999 Posts
cc2 said:
Is the 5 Spot and the Flux dissimilar enough that I should get both of them or are they too similar? If they are different enough, what suspensions should I use on each? Sorry to be asking so many painful questions, I just can't seem to decide!
I own a Flux and a Spot. Both are amazing bikes. My Flux and 5 Spot are set up very similarly - both have a TALAS and an RP3. The Flux is snappier and climbs a little better than the 5 Spot. The 5 Spot is more stout than the Flux; and thus, is capable of more rugged terrain and bigger drops. The 5 spot, with 5 inches of travel, is obviously more plush than the Flux. However, I have been very impressed with how plush the Flux feels for a four inch travel bike. I am amazed at how reactive the suspension is to the terrain. The 5 Spot descends a little better than the Flux. There is definetly some overlap between the 5 Spot and the Flux. However, I would classify the Flux as a raceable trail bike capable of XC racing, 24 hour racing, as well as some tough trail riding. The 5 Spot is the quintessential trail bike - capable of tough trail riding and light free riding. What is your riding style?

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
cc2 said:
I have both!! :cool: I am going to start knocking weight off the Flux here in ther near future to turn in into a light weight race machine, and build up the 5spot with a medium weight kit so I can do more aggressive stuff but still be light enough to shred some xc trails.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I have a Flux and I'm going for a Pack because I feel the Flux and Spot are too close, despite the Spot being heavier duty and longer travel. In the scheme of things, the Spot may not have as much of a riding difference I'm looking for from a Flux, other than being heavier duty, so I went towards an RFX, which is going to be built a bit on the light side.

·
Registered
999 Posts
AzSpeedfreek said:
I have both!! :cool: I am going to start knocking weight off the Flux here in ther near future to turn in into a light weight race machine, and build up the 5spot with a medium weight kit so I can do more aggressive stuff but still be light enough to shred some xc trails.
That is what I have done with my Flux and 5 Spot. I have my Flux weighing in at 26.4lbs and the 5 Spot weighing in at 27.8lbs. The Flux is race ready, unfortunately I am not . . .the Five spot is built handle some XC and rough stuff.

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
JTBAZ said:
That is what I have done with my Flux and 5 Spot. I have my Flux weighing in at 26.4lbs and the 5 Spot weighing in at 27.8lbs. The Flux is race ready, unfortunately I am not . . .the Five spot is built handle some XC and rough stuff.
I could use some ideas, how do you have them both speced? ans what size frames are they?

·
Registered
999 Posts
AzSpeedfreek said:
I could use some ideas, how do you have them both speced? ans what size frames are they?
My Flux is spec'd as follows:
Frame: Size Large
Rear Shock: RP3
Fork: 2005 TALAS
Wheelset: Mavic 717, Hugi 240 hubs
Tires: Tomac Blue Groove, 2.1 F&R
Tubes: Slime light
Crank: XT
FD: Sram X gen
RD: Sram XO
Cassette:XT
Chain:Sram
Pedals: Shimano 959
Shifters: Sram X9
Handlebars: Race Face Deus
Stem: Race Face Deus
Headset: Chris King
Brake Levers: XT hydro
Brakes: XTR
Seatpost: Easton EC 70
Saddle: WTB Rocket V Stealth

I think that is everything . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.