Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone doing this event? It is a paddle, run, mountain bike race in August, but I think its been going on a few years. Are there other similar races (not xterra) going on around here?
 

·
WNC Native
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
Might be doing this one, as far as I know it's just the solo tri on Sat and the team tri on Sun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Someone was organizing something in Wilkesboro on the reservoir and Dark Mountain trails a couple of years ago. I don't know if that keeps taking place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I am curious about how it could be fair. I race mountain bikes as an expert, and yes, it is not about the bike, but the rider. I understand this, as I race rigid single speeds against mostly guys on FS bikes.

But boats are a different story. You can buy speed with a kayak or canoe. How can the guys in 12 foot rotomolded boats keep up with the guys who will surely bring $4000 composite race boats. You could cut you time in half just by plunking down the money. Paddling skill is important, but some boats are easily twice as fast as others. Paddling skill is important on unprotected waters, but in a small lake ?

So is there something I am missing ? Are the boats in different classes or something ?


Kerr Scott would be a fun place for a race like this.
 

·
WNC Native
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
There will be time handicaps depending on certain type boats to equal things out.
 

·
Just ride!
Joined
·
324 Posts
I have done this race in the past. The paddle is the first leg of the event. DIfferent size boats are gathered together in similar class/size/configuration groups and launched in waves. The shortest and slowest boats begin the race, with groups strarting one minute after the first. The faster the boat, the larger the time handicap. The last year I did the event in 2004, the fast boats started 13 minutes behind the short slow ones.

The race is extremely fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Just because you can buy speed doesn't mean you're guaranteed of speed. A buddy of mine had a super fast 16-foot sea kayak and got dusted (or sprayed, I guess, would be the correct phrasing) by much slower kayaks.

Similarly, an out of shape guy on a top-end Hei Hei isn't going to be doing much better than if he were on a Huffy.

That said, they do a good job with the paddle handicaps. I've done this a couple times now and I haven't had the fastest boat. I usually borrow an Old Town Loon, which is a recreational kayak designed for poking around lakes leisurely. As it turns out, the only people who passed me in the paddling leg the last time I raced this were a few slalom racers whose whole life is training for speed.

The course is fun. The run was pretty easy (don't be afraid if you're not a runner, anyone can do this run with just a little training). Super fun race!

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
-G- said:
Just because you can buy speed doesn't mean you're guaranteed of speed. A buddy of mine had a super fast 16-foot sea kayak and got dusted (or sprayed, I guess, would be the correct phrasing) by much slower kayaks.

Similarly, an out of shape guy on a top-end Hei Hei isn't going to be doing much better than if he were on a Huffy.

That said, they do a good job with the paddle handicaps. I've done this a couple times now and I haven't had the fastest boat. I usually borrow an Old Town Loon, which is a recreational kayak designed for poking around lakes leisurely. As it turns out, the only people who passed me in the paddling leg the last time I raced this were a few slalom racers whose whole life is training for speed.

The course is fun. The run was pretty easy (don't be afraid if you're not a runner, anyone can do this run with just a little training). Super fun race!

G
I appreciate what you are saying. But I am not talking 16 ft sea kayaks. I am talking 20ft composite race boats. My friend builds custom kayaks, and has one that you can easily clock 10mph + in over for hours on glassy water. I live on the water, and can promise you a novice in a 20ft composite will dust or spray a seasoned paddler in a roto boat over 3 miles. Thats all. I was just sent a link to the handicap system, makes sense.

Having several boats in my shop, and many racing boats I could borrow, I was just curious how they kept it even.

At the burn a couple years ago, I switched between a FS 29er, and my rigid salsa mariachi ss bike. My laps were nearly identical.

There is a certain island I time myself around when I paddle, and my times vary as much as an hour in different boats. All paddled on the same tide. And with a beer between the legs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
MarcusSommers said:
I appreciate what you are saying. But I am not talking 16 ft sea kayaks. I am talking 20ft composite race boats. My friend builds custom kayaks, and has one that you can easily clock 10mph + in over for hours on glassy water. I live on the water, and can promise you a novice in a 20ft composite will dust or spray a seasoned paddler in a roto boat over 3 miles. Thats all. I was just sent a link to the handicap system, makes sense.

Having several boats in my shop, and many racing boats I could borrow, I was just curious how they kept it even.

At the burn a couple years ago, I switched between a FS 29er, and my rigid salsa mariachi ss bike. My laps were nearly identical.

There is a certain island I time myself around when I paddle, and my times vary as much as an hour in different boats. All paddled on the same tide. And with a beer between the legs.
The roto-molded sea kayak I referenced was just an example. That was certainly not the most high-end boat out there. There were composite boats as well one year that I noticed. I don't know if they were as nice as the one the one you're thinking about, but they were out there.

I imagine that, even if you show up with a race boat that's obviously not in the same class as their highest handicap (I honestly haven't looked at their 2009 handicap system), they would probably develop a solution to keep it reasonably fair for all competitors.

P.S. I'm not a newb when it comes to boats... having clocked almost 200 days in my kayaks last year even though I can't claim to live on the water, although I do have a beautiful creek behind the house. :)
 

·
Official Cooler Inspector
Joined
·
2,652 Posts
"I have done this race in the past. The paddle is the first leg of the event. Different size boats are gathered together in similar class/size/configuration groups and launched in waves. The shortest and slowest boats begin the race, with groups starting one minute after the first. The faster the boat, the larger the time handicap. The last year I did the event in 2004, the fast boats started 13 minutes behind the short slow ones.

The race is extremely fun!"


^ ^ ^ ^ :thumbsup:

If a gal from FLA can kick in her boat, a gal from Texas can kick on her flat-lander feet and a gal (recently recovered from a broken back) can kick on her bike and place in the top ten...

Heck yeah.

The race is extremely fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
M-U-M said:
"I have done this race in the past. The paddle is the first leg of the event. Different size boats are gathered together in similar class/size/configuration groups and launched in waves. The shortest and slowest boats begin the race, with groups starting one minute after the first. The faster the boat, the larger the time handicap. The last year I did the event in 2004, the fast boats started 13 minutes behind the short slow ones.

The race is extremely fun!"


^ ^ ^ ^ :thumbsup:

If a gal from FLA can kick in her boat, a gal from Texas can kick on her flat-lander feet and a gal (recently recovered from a broken back) can kick on her bike and place in the top ten...

Heck yeah.

The race is extremely fun!
Sweet. I just want to bring a basic floating boat and have fun. I can race kayaks at home, and I was hoping this would be a cool race to just get out and jam.

I broke my ankle very badly in January, and this will be my first running race after the accident so I want to have fun.

I have a boat builder friend who really wants to see what his race boat could do on a lake, but I am just not that guy. I don't really like high tech stuff, but to each his own.

If anyone is heading to Wilmington NC to hit the beach this year, shoot me a PM. We have a killer MTB trail that no one knows of, and plenty of paddling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
MarcusSommers said:
Anyone doing this event? It is a paddle, run, mountain bike race in August, but I think its been going on a few years. Are there other similar races (not xterra) going on around here?
Chris Williams from Columbia, SC puts on a three race series that starts around the first of February - www.winterchallenge.com. These are also fun races, but the order of event is Run, paddle, bike. There is no handicap on these races. Usually there is a vendor or vendors that have rental boats available (however, you can also bring your own). In these races, you definitely see the 20 foot racing kayaks.

The Tsali Challenge has been going on for probably 10 years or so. I hope to get back out there this year after missing last year.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top