Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tire sponser at the college I go to is Maxxis. I've been informed that there is an amazing 50%(ish) discount on every tire and I have been checking out the Maxxis Ignitor.

http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/product_detail.asp?id=240

They look like a great tire. I ride a GF Wahoo Disc and I think these would be great since my stock Bontragers slip on every wet root and are terrible in soft sand. My question is are these a good tire for soft sand and roots, or should I go with a more heavy duty downhill Maxxis? If there are other Maxxis tires that anyone has had good experience riding and would recommend them to me for this situation I would be happy to hear that.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
First, you should never disclose the terms of a sponsorship deal. Many companies will cancel sponsorships if club/team members talk about the details. It is usually in the sponsorship contract.

The Ignitor (2.10 and larger) are good tires as are many of their other models. There is no good reason for your to put DH tires on your XC hardtail.

Also do not expect new tires to make up for experience. It takes time to gain off road riding skills. I can now ride trails on skinny road slicks that I needed to walk when I started riding mtbs.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
By the way, in college they spell it "sponsor"

JMH

I Pickle They said:
The tire sponser at the college I go to is Maxxis. I've been informed that there is an amazing 50%(ish) discount on every tire and I have been checking out the Maxxis Ignitor.

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
even good tires will slip on wet roots too :p dont fault the tire for that :D

A wet root has nothing for the tire to dig into, and usually covered in some sort of mossy stuff, making it slimy slick when wet, dont expect any miracles with new tires ^^

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
I Pickle They said:
Let's relax with the spelling error, seeing as how the college I attend is certainly better than that of those responding.
You aren't going to get much help with that attitude. Acting like a characture of a snot-nosed college brat isn't going to win you any friends.

Wet roots are always going to be slick. Some spiked ice tires would hook up nicely, but I don't think you want the weight penalty.

I just started using the Maxxis Ranchero on my rear. It's great on hardpack and loose dirt. It hasn't seen mud yet, but I think it'll pack up and not work too well in the wet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.