Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First timer here so sorry if by some way I'm posting in the wrong section.

I have a K2 Shadow Nine bike, which I got for xmas last year. It has sentimental value and I figure I'll try to ride it until I break the frame or something. In the meantime I'll save money for a real bike once I get better.

Here's the deal: Broke my rear wheel so now it's time to fix this low-end bike.

Things I want to upgrade:
-wheels(biggest concern) -I was thinking: Sun Ringle Black Flag Comp 29" wheel set
-brakes n discs -I was thinking: Avid MTN BB7 + HS1 160+ SD7 Levers
-Both twist shifters already broke -Would like something like SRAM X series
-Tires- I have a KENDA 2.2 seems pointless at 18mm rim.

Questionable ideas:
-I was wondering if I could upgrade the cassette so I could maybe throw the SRAM x7 shifters on the bike (atm it has 7sp). I'm not too familiar with hub size and length dimensions to accomplish this and I can't seem to get an answer from looking around.
-Leave the cables or upgrade? From reading on this forum I should really invest in some Alligator or Konor cables.
-It would be nice to get a bigger travel Fork
-pedals?

I'd bring the bike to my local shop, but I'd also love to learn more about the bike by getting my hands dirty. Already went through some of the Beginners Guides on here.

I weigh 195 5'10" and ride on different types of trails (paved, single/multi track, Palos Heights, IL/Orland Park, IL Area) and would love to have a bike to withstand some aggression.

Any participation is much appreciated. Lookin forward to participating in the forum as I'm really starting to come back here a lot. Also, if you have any other upgrade ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks!
-Sarunas

Below are the specs for the bike as of now taken from nashbar.com and corrected.
K2 Shadow 9 29er Mountain Bike

FRAME:6061 Aluminum 29" Mountain Hardtail, Custom Blend Tubing w/ Replaceable Hanger & Disc Mount
FORK:SR Suntour, M2025-29" w/ Alloy Crown, 65mm Travel
REAR SHOCK:None
HEADSET:Threadless 1-1/8"
CRANKSET:SR Suntour 24/34/42T
BOTTOM BRACKET:Sealed Cartridge
SHIFTERS:SRAM Twist Shifters 21 Speed
LEVERS:Alloy 2 Finger MTB
HANDLEBAR:Alloy Mid-Rise
STEM:Alloy Threadless w/ 2 Bolt Face Plate
FRONT DERAILLEUR:Shimano Tourney FD-TX50
REAR DERAILLEUR:Shimano Tourney RD-TX35D
CASSETTE:Shimano MF-TZ31, 14-34T