Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of converting to a 1X8 setup, an I had been planning on eventually 9 speed. My question is where's the advantage in going 9 speed? The first and last cogs on both cassettes are 11-32t. So I'm guessing the ratios are different in between. I'm just trying to find what the advantage is in the 9 speed. I'm already going to upgrade my current RD to an X9, but I'm trying to low budget sticking with the current cassette and shifter. Thanks, guys.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
The "advantage" is that there are smaller jumps between cogs. Here is an example.

An 8 speed cassette might be setup like this. 11,12,14,16,18,21,26,32

A 9 speed cassette might be setup like this. 11,12,14,16,18,21,24,28,32

If the 8 speed is working fine for you, just stick with it until you can't get decent 8 speed stuff anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like 8spd, easier to set up and will shift smoothly with ease. 9spd takes a little more set up but works very good once done. 8spd is still available, and with a low budget, just stay 8spd. My mountain bike is 9spd, but my hybrid is 8spd. The difference is small. Heck, 10spd is out now...

Or, just go SS :) Who needs gears? :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frdfandc said:
The "advantage" is that there are smaller jumps between cogs. Here is an example.

An 8 speed cassette might be setup like this. 11,12,14,16,18,21,26,32

A 9 speed cassette might be setup like this. 11,12,14,16,18,21,24,28,32

If the 8 speed is working fine for you, just stick with it until you can't get decent 8 speed stuff anymore.
That's the thing... 8 speed is all but gone except for stock components. Looking for a quality 8 speed RD is futile, and not worth the money when you can get a good 9 speed RD for 10-20 bucks more.

I'm currently looking for a used X9 since it will work with my existing drivetrain, and then I can pick up 9 speed parts as I find them.

Thanks for the replies, guys. :thumbsup:

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,604 Posts
A fair question, but if you're making the jump from 8-spd (as I'm doing right now), why not consider going to 10-spd? This is what I plan to do when I build up my new '11 Sultan frame -- go from 1x8 to 1x10. I mean 9-spd is going the way of the dinosaur too, right?

10-spd... the new frontier. It's either this or IGH, IMO.

--sParty

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sparticus said:
A fair question, but if you're making the jump from 8-spd (as I'm doing right now), why not consider going to 10-spd? This is what I plan to do when I build up my new '11 Sultan frame -- go from 1x8 to 1x10. I mean 9-spd is going the way of the dinosaur too, right?

--sParty
I had the same idea but 10spd parts are hard to find used. I took a quick glance at what it would take new and I really can't justify spending $200+ just to gain a couple extra cogs on my cassette.

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Sparticus said:

--sParty
In terms of a 1X 10spd is the way to go- an 11-36 rear cass mated to a 30 t0 34 tooth ring depending on where your riding is the simplest and most versitile set up you can get short of ss of course...

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
You can use a 9-speed derailleur in an 8-speed drivetrain. Just match the brand of derailleur to the brand of shifter.

I switched from an 8-speed 11-32 cassette to a 9-speed 11-34 not too long ago. The real impetus for the change was that a teammate offered me some 9-speed LX shifters he'd taken off his bike when he bought it. They do have a nicer feel than the previous shifters, and shorter throws, but I don't know that I'd say the extra ratio does me any good. It's rare for me to ride on a trail that stays the same long enough for me to find myself between gears the way I sometimes do on my commute bike, which has not many ratios. I waited to kill my previous cassette before changing shifters, so the "upgrade" was very inexpensive - a bit that I paid him for the shifters, and the difference in cost between an 8-speed cassette and chain and 9-speed cassette and chain.

IMO, if a drivetrain's shifting well, it's not really worth spending money to upgrade any of it, at least unless you've already done the tires, contact points, wheels, suspension fork, and the money's burning a hole in your pocket. I raced with the stock Alivio rear derailleur until I fell on it. :p Now I have a Deore rear derailleur, which I expect to perform well longer, unless I fall on it too. If you're trying to stretch a dollar, spend it on new cables and housing, and a file so you can do the housing ends yourself. (Unless, of course, your RD is actually damaged or worn out.)

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,604 Posts
knottshore said:
In terms of a 1X 10spd is the way to go- an 11-36 rear cass mated to a 30 t0 34 tooth ring depending on where your riding is the simplest and most versitile set up you can get short of ss of course...
My feeling exactly. I'm astride wagon wheels these days. Running a 30t single ring. An 11-36t cassette will give me a very useable range here among Oregon's steep ridges & valleys.

I ride SS more than anything else, so a ten gear choice seems nearly overwhelming in comparison, and a 30x36 low gear will feel like a stump puller compared to my SS.

Chainsuck? Never again. That's what I said back around the turn of the century when I went to SS & 1x drivetrains. I'm entrenched.

And now... 10-spd has arrived. I'll invest in it, I guess.

--sParty

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
xxbrittonxx said:
That's the thing... 8 speed is all but gone except for stock components. Looking for a quality 8 speed RD is futile, and not worth the money when you can get a good 9 speed RD for 10-20 bucks more.

I'm currently looking for a used X9 since it will work with my existing drivetrain, and then I can pick up 9 speed parts as I find them.

Thanks for the replies, guys. :thumbsup:
8 sp and 9 sp rear mechs work interchangeably. The hard parts to come across are shifters and cassettes.

JmZ

·
Registered
321 Posts
The only reason I could think of to switch to 9spd is for the shifters. 8spd works well, is tough, and is easy to maintain so until my 8spd shifters break and I can't find any more, 8spd it will be. I certainly can't justify the costs of going to 10spd.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
On my road bike, which has a 10-speed cassette, I kick myself a little for the shifter upgrade every time I have to buy a new chain.

I'd say give 10-speed MTB stuff a little more time to standardize, and get cheaper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts