Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the trick book for me is expanding, and i am working on my whips, i can get a lil kick of the tail but not a jaw dropping amout. whats the best way to learn how to whip my bike?anyone got some nice pics of whips(one of favortte tricks)

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
austinb89 said:
the trick book for me is expanding, and i am working on my whips, i can get a lil kick of the tail but not a jaw dropping amout. whats the best way to learn how to whip my bike?anyone got some nice pics of whips(one of favortte tricks)
I practice by stopping on the front wheel (stoppie, nose wheelie or whatever you want to call it), and then whipping the back of the bike around while the nose is planted. That way you get the body English memorized. I don't have much of an impressive tailwhip though. I think the best way to learn is to just jump and try it again and again.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
jazzy jibber said:
heres a shot of the sagewhip, he turns off the lip and then pulls the bars back and gets the bike mroe than 90, hes even looking backwards now its pretty dope. You have too see it to understand it.
there's that, then there's the vanderham/mx whip...

·
Registered
643 Posts
i dont really know how to explain it better, but if u turn your handlebars to the direction u want to whip than it helps out on the whip. (ex: if u want to whip left then turn ur handle bars to theleft slgihtly)

G

·
I learn all my stuff on small kickers (1- 1.5 feet high with flat landing) That way you dont land hard and fold your wheel, or if you crash its not too bad. Im still learning whips too. Just getting bigger now. I also learned no footers and one handers, and nac nacs on small kickers.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Whipology

I agree with Jake it's easier to learn tricks on a small kicker but in the case of "whippin" I feel like airtime is your friend and I learned whips on dirtbikes on bigass jumps anyway. On a dirtbike you have two advantages: a steer stop and a throttle. You bring the bike all the way around (hard) until it hits the steer stop and kinda pull on the bars a little to get it started back straight...tap the throttle and centrifugal force (the rear wheel) will bring the bike back verticel.
MB takes a little bit more body english...I kinda lean off (and back a little bit) the side of the bike and kinda point your low side knee toward the ground. This will inevitably get you sidewayz and flat(ish). Getting all squirrelly sidewayz and flat in the air is fairly easy, it's getting the bike back up that usually build bruise tolerance in the trick learning process. Just sort of pull the bars to bring the bike back under you and get the front wheel down. Point the front wheel at the landing and the rear should follow (should). Finesse is the key word.
- world record longest post -
- JJ

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
VooDoo13 said:
I agree with Jake it's easier to learn tricks on a small kicker but in the case of "whippin" I feel like airtime is your friend and I learned whips on dirtbikes on bigass jumps anyway. On a dirtbike you have two advantages: a steer stop and a throttle. You bring the bike all the way around (hard) until it hits the steer stop and kinda pull on the bars a little to get it started back straight...tap the throttle and centrifugal force (the rear wheel) will bring the bike back verticel.
MB takes a little bit more body english...I kinda lean off (and back a little bit) the side of the bike and kinda point your low side knee toward the ground. This will inevitably get you sidewayz and flat(ish). Getting all squirrelly sidewayz and flat in the air is fairly easy, it's getting the bike back up that usually build bruise tolerance in the trick learning process. Just sort of pull the bars to bring the bike back under you and get the front wheel down. Point the front wheel at the landing and the rear should follow (should). Finesse is the key word.
- world record longest post -
- JJ
Nicely said.
Here's a couple more whip photos from me, these one's are even bigger. :D
Note the obvious motocross influence, instead of "kick-out" style.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.