Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short...I want to do something different with my life. In the past 3-6 months a lot of drastic things have happened. I've been casually riding my mountain bike for about 3 years. I have a 2001 DiamondBack. I'm not really sure where to start. Keep in mind I'm also a bigger guy, but I'm hoping my change in diet and my new found hobby will help. :) I was thinking of just trying to go out riding more, find some trails/roads or something along that line. All of my equipment is currently stock. Should I upgrade anything in particular or should I learn how to ride more aggressive and go from there. Any suggestions/comments are appreciated. Like I said I'm a total newb when it comes to all this stuff so bare with me. Thanks ahead of time. :thumbsup:

·
Pedal Pusher
11 Posts
Hey there!

Well how nice of a bike do you have? If it were me I would go out and buy me a nice bike around $500.00. Then go from there. Because a nice bike makes all the difference! And you shoudnt upgrade things on a not so nice bike because then you will be looking at problems. Its just easier to get a nice bike.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'll get the exact model tomorrow with pics. It's in excellent shape, maybe a few scratches but thats it. When I got it as my summer "toy" at JT Cycles in Sonora,CA it was $450(4-5 years ago). Not sure if I should go get a new one or not. Pics for sure tomorrow though. Edit: Its a D-Back Response. To get a new bike or not to get a new bike...hmmmm

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Markie_Mark said:
Long story short...I want to do something different with my life. In the past 3-6 months a lot of drastic things have happened. I've been casually riding my mountain bike for about 3 years. I have a 2001 DiamondBack. I'm not really sure where to start. Keep in mind I'm also a bigger guy, but I'm hoping my change in diet and my new found hobby will help. :) I was thinking of just trying to go out riding more, find some trails/roads or something along that line. All of my equipment is currently stock. Should I upgrade anything in particular or should I learn how to ride more aggressive and go from there. Any suggestions/comments are appreciated. Like I said I'm a total newb when it comes to all this stuff so bare with me. Thanks ahead of time. :thumbsup:
I think you're on the right track, dude. I would recommend making sure your bike is tuned up and operating properly, then just get out and ride more. Post in your regional forum to find other people who are riding in your area and ask them where to ride, or if you can ride with (if you're really slow though, you might get dropped - took me a year to start riding with anyone on here). As for upgrading, my LBS always talks me out of upgrading by telling me "There's really no reason to replace it if it's not broken (and when it breaks that's when you upgrade".

·
Registered
54 Posts
FlatFender said:
I upgrade when I break something.
Never before.
For sure, but there is something to be said for making few good upgrades for the sole purpose of reinvigorating your to the sport itself. I remember upgrading the hbars on an older bike and it actually motivated to ride more. I also recall when I upgrading my road bike to shifters at the the ends of the hbar and falling all back in love again with the bike. So, call these psychological upgrades - the parts are fine but the new parts are.......finer.

·
Registered
934 Posts
FlatFender said:
I upgrade when I break something.
Never before.
If that's worked for you Fender, that's great. Although Poster should need take this too seriously. "Upgrading" doesn't necessarily have to mean doing it for the sake of buying something that is more expensive or better quality. It can mean that it will enhance his enjoyment or comfort or safety of his ride. For example, a more comfortable seat (since poster claims to be a larger person), or a longer stem if bike fit is not exactly right. More aggressive treads on the tires for riding conditions, etc.

Unfortunately, Poster won't know what is what until he gains much saddle experience, then he can determine what is working and what is not working.

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
In particular, most big guys...

I find most big guys, myself I'm 240lbs, need to upgrade forks. Something stiff or air sprung so you can up the pressure. However, you can install stiffer coil springs in forks too.

Also, maybe try riding rigid with some big honkin' tires, like 2.5's. Personally, I have a single speed, rigid with fat tires and a carbon fibre handlebar. It rattles me some, but it is a sweet ride.

·
Ridin' Dirty
460 Posts
IMO there is no need to buy a new bike right now.
If you're just starting out, just ride your bike bro. Like the other poster said, find some easy trails in your area, maybe some newbie-type group rides and just start riding and getting your endurance and leg muscles built-up.

Have fun, keep riding. Before you know it you'll be addicted and your fitness will increase dramatically. Then you'll want to hit more challenging terrain and want to upgrade. But don't get to cought up in that right now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
onegymrat said:
If that's worked for you Fender, that's great. Although Poster should need take this too seriously. "Upgrading" doesn't necessarily have to mean doing it for the sake of buying something that is more expensive or better quality. It can mean that it will enhance his enjoyment or comfort or safety of his ride. For example, a more comfortable seat (since poster claims to be a larger person), or a longer stem if bike fit is not exactly right. More aggressive treads on the tires for riding conditions, etc.

Unfortunately, Poster won't know what is what until he gains much saddle experience, then he can determine what is working and what is not working.
That was the first thing I went to. I got a more comfortable seat.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another question I have. Everything seems to be in working order when I went on a small bike ride this mourning with my bros. I figured I would just give it a good wash or at least wipe it down. It hasn't been lubed in gosh...3 years. Is there a specific lube I should grab? What do I lube? And how much is it and where can I find it? I have a LBS right here in town, but if can find it cheaper at K-Mart,Ace,Target,Auto store or something like that.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
go to LBS and ask them what is best fo ryour area. lube is cheap get the right stuff at the LBS. No offense , but I would not upgrade any thing on your bike. May be your saddle and a new set of tires. You could get a nice helmet, camlebak, and some gloves. You will have that stuff for a while , but for your bike I would just ride it till it breaks. It WILL break.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Most of the time I would advise against massive upgrades. It looks like you may be a student and new bike money may not be easy to come by and a few modest upgrades could be both helpful and motivating.

If the saddle bugs you then there's no problem justifying an upgrade there.

Apart from that, a modest fork upgrade ($250 +/- for a nice air spring fork)

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Marzocchi-...6QQihZ019QQcategoryZ58085QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and/or a modest wheel upgrade (< $200 for something like a set of Mavic Crossride - v-brake and disc compatible )

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH501A00-Mavic+Crossride+Wheelset.aspx

would be about the most I could recommend. Anything more than that and you may as well be looking for a new bike.

These parts on your bike would make the most difference and make it quite nice to ride (nicer than a new $500 to $600 bike), and both could be transferred to a newer bike/frame in the future.

Just an idea. Think about it and in the meantime...... ride it as is.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Once again thanks for the posts and linking me to some equipment. As for the forks are they somewhat easy to install? Also I don't have disk brakes. (I have no clue what there called, its just the pads on each side of the rim) I work with mechanical stuff all the time, but never messed with bikes. I changed my back tire and tube a while back, but I wouldn't really list that as hard though. The wheel upgrade....what is it really doing, because $200 for some wheels seems a little steep for me. As mentioned before I'm a big guy, is there a certain tire size or anything I'm looking for? Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Markie_Mark said:
Once again thanks for the posts and linking me to some equipment. As for the forks are they somewhat easy to install? Also I don't have disk brakes. (I have no clue what there called, its just the pads on each side of the rim) I work with mechanical stuff all the time, but never messed with bikes. I changed my back tire and tube a while back, but I wouldn't really list that as hard though. The wheel upgrade....what is it really doing, because $200 for some wheels seems a little steep for me. As mentioned before I'm a big guy, is there a certain tire size or anything I'm looking for? Thanks for all your help.
Forks are sorta complex to install. Not so much technically, but in terms of cutting the head tube to the right length, etc.

Expensive wheels generally are lighter, stronger, or both; they roll faster, are able to take more punishment while staying round and true, etc.

Tire size varies depending on terrain and intended use. Unless you're riding specifically downhill only, you'll want to look somewhere between a 2.1 and 2.4 inch tire. The 2.1 sized tire is generally a cross country size of tire. Things to consider with tires are weight, design, and rolling resistance. You don't want extremely knobby tires if you're riding frequently on pavement, nor do you want semi-slick tires for rocky/muddy soil. Ask your local bike shop for their recommendations in your area.

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Markie_Mark said:
I hate to be the newb but we all have to start somewhere I guess.
Mark, at least your giving it a go! Like others said, I am in the wait to upgrade camp. So give her a whirl, and ride the piss out of the bike till something (if anything) breaks then go from there. :D

Cheers!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I suggest holding off on the upgrades until you have some saddle time and have become familiar with your bike. If you ride with friends, take their bikes for a spin and see how they compare. But first and foremost, get out and ride. Get healthy, get fast and after you have mastered the bike you have, consider another.

Here are some links for you to check out and hopefully they will help you on your way.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/ -Maintenance, tips and tons of general bike knowledge

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=211266 -Great maintenance guide

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here to give my impression of 2 solid days of riding. I got a front flat,bent front rim, and a dislocated thumb. (mental note to self: when trying to drop off of a 5 foot wall LEAN BACK!!) My LBS is husband/wife owned and operated and they were very nice. Got a new rim/tube for $45. As for the thumb it hurts, but doesn't effect my riding to much. Other than that I'm sore all over. I expected the first 3 weeks to be hell week, but 2 days in and I want to quit....(that was a joke) I have muscles hurt I didn't even know I had. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.