Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have been riding for a little while but still would consider myself a n00b. But anyway, I have Bianchi Grizzly I'm not too happy with. When I ride this bike, I have constant pressure going forward. After a ride, my wrists are killing me, and my lower back is sore. I always feel like im going to crash. When I ride slowly in circles, often my weight seems to "go over" the handlebars and my wheel kind just stops and it trys to buck me foward. I know that prob dont make much sense.

When I ride, I cant take any pressure off the handlebars or the bike will immediately crash. I dont know if its me or that there is too much body weight on the handlebars. I used to ride BMX alot and when I rode that, i had Zero pressure on the front. I want my bike to feel that way again. Does this happen to everyone?

I have relatively short limbs. I am looking to put a short stem and try to find a handlebar with better rise. Can someone suggest a short stem with alot of rise, and handlebars with a nice big sweep and rise? I miss the feel of a BMX handlebar. Thanks

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
amc5 said:
Hello. I have been riding for a little while but still would consider myself a n00b. But anyway, I have Bianchi Grizzly I'm not too happy with. When I ride this bike, I have constant pressure going forward. After a ride, my wrists are killing me, and my lower back is sore. I always feel like im going to crash. When I ride slowly in circles, often my weight seems to "go over" the handlebars and my wheel kind just stops and it trys to buck me foward. I know that prob dont make much sense.

When I ride, I cant take any pressure off the handlebars or the bike will immediately crash. I dont know if its me or that there is too much body weight on the handlebars. I used to ride BMX alot and when I rode that, i had Zero pressure on the front. I want my bike to feel that way again. Does this happen to everyone?

I have relatively short limbs. I am looking to put a short stem and try to find a handlebar with better rise. Can someone suggest a short stem with alot of rise, and handlebars with a nice big sweep and rise? I miss the feel of a BMX handlebar. Thanks
Before spending your money, try adjusting your seat angle. Elevating the nose of the saddle just a couple of millimeters will shift your weight backwards and off the handlebars.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
after you do what drewdane said, I would buy some cheap stems if need be and experiment. Also, if you have a local bunch of riders, I am sure one of them can help you. when you get it dialed in, you can buy a better quality stem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies....

Can any suggest a desent stem that is short and has a high rise to it? Same for handlebars as well?

So, I see handlebars have rise and sweep? I guess the sweep brings them back towards you? THanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Adjustable stem

Check out the usual suspects in terms of bike accessories, like Performance and Price Point.. I can't remember who makes it, and I don't have the catalog at work, but I remember seeing an adjustable stem for about $25. Maybe it was Nashbar...

Anyway, I know an adjustable stem is going to make several sacrifices, but it's cheap and you can experiment, figure out the right angle for you, and then buy a decent one. After that, pass the stem around to your buddies; it's something that could some in handy for a while, especially as you get more proficient and your friends start to want to go with you on rides. More of a tool, really, than a piece of long-term equipment.

Hope this helps...

-jms

·
cyclemaven.net
364 Posts
Supergo is still having a sale

They're not the most incredible quality, but Weyless is a pretty good brand for this experiment.
Prices are from ~8.00 to 15.00.

I had the same problems, and I switched from a 70mm with 5deg rise, to
a 45mm with 10deg rise (this is a DH stem), and the difference is night and day. I love it!

Just know that at first, your steering on the uphill may feel a bit twitchy, but then you'll get your sweet spot, and it'll be great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.