Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for a 20 inch Hardtail for my son I want to at least have hydraulic brakes I've been looking at the norco fluid 2.3 ht 20 or the kona honzo 20 that's kind of the price range I would like to stay in.what do yall think is there any better deals out there he has a hotrock 20 now with v brakes im just not happy with it thanks would also buy used if i could find one im in athens tn

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
So I'm looking for a 20 inch Hardtail for my son I want to at least have hydraulic brakes I've been looking at the norco fluid 2.3 ht 20 or the kona honzo 20 that's kind of the price range I would like to stay in.what do yall think is there any better deals out there he has a hotrock 20 now with v brakes im just not happy with it thanks would also buy used if i could find one im in athens tn
Good deals on 20 inch bikes are hard to find it seems like - they always seem expensive new, especially when you KNOW your kids will outgrow them. Maybe quickly. As such, the used market is one where there's great demand because a lot of people want to buy there. You aren't far front Chattanooga and there's a thriving MTB scene there with lots of kids. If you're on Facebook, and you aren't a member of the Chattanooga MTB group, you should join it and ask if anyone there has a kids bike like this they'd consider selling. OTherwise, I've always been fairly impressed with Norco's bang for the buck. Those aren't bad looking bikes. You can sell it when you need to and probably get a lot more back for it percentage wise than out of, say, your bike, just because of what the market for kids bikes like this is.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The Hotrock, if it's like the one I just got, is very upgradeable. It seems to be a pretty great frame with some pretty awful components. The frame and fork both have disk mounts but the wheelset is freewheel/nutted.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The Honzo is a really nice bike. My oldest son had the hot rock, then the rip rock and now the Honzo 24. My daughter had the hot rock and now the Honzo 20.

I definitely prefer it over the specialized's as far as what you are getting for the price.

If you aren't happy with hot rock and it's in good shape, sell it and buy something else.

·
Ride what you like!
700 Posts
Bought a 20 from the LBS for my kid's 8th last April. By September, he'd outgrown it. Fortunately, the shop has a buyback plan, the money going to a new bike for him to outgrow

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Honzo is a really nice bike. My oldest son had the hot rock, then the rip rock and now the Honzo 24. My daughter had the hot rock and now the Honzo 20.

I definitely prefer it over the specialized's as far as what you are getting for the price.

If you aren't happy with hot rock and it's in good shape, sell it and buy something else.
I know this thread is definitely old. But, how does the honzo 20 compare to the riprock weight-wise? My kiddo rides the riprock now but she’s on the smaller side and it’s a bull of a bike for her making things more difficult than they should be.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I know this thread is definitely old. But, how does the honzo 20 compare to the riprock weight-wise? My kiddo rides the riprock now but she’s on the smaller side and it’s a bull of a bike for her making things more difficult than they should be.
The Honzo is definitely lighter...I've seen one Honzo with fatter tires but the two I have do not...and I think it might be the higher spec (just what my lbs had) but both honzos have air forks which makes a huge difference.

Also fwiw my youngest has a Cannondale cujo 20 and while it's rigid it's surprisingly light for a kids bike.

The riprock is definitely on the heavy side.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
It would be nice if there were a couple of good ones that would work. Even if its just in different colors, so that he can have a choice and pick out one he wants.

·
Bipolar roller
1,377 Posts
I was looking at a honzo 20 as well for my soon to be 7 year old, but went with the Makena instead as it did not come with the front anchor that the honzo has for a fork. The Suntour XCT JR coil fork that comes on the honzo is total garbage and is the reason I did not get my son that bike.

The fork has so much stiction there is no way for a 50lb kid to get the thing to move. I had to give it a really good press to break the stiction enough to get the fork to compress. The weight of the fork is not proportional to the rest of the bike and makes it very front heavy and would be awkward and difficult for a smaller rider to maneuver. The bigger tires of the Makena will produce much better suspension than that super sticky anchor of a fork, while providing a much easier to maneuver bike with better stability and traction.

Only downside was not having the disc brakes. But v-brakes work pretty darn good compared to mech disc brakes that come on the honzo.

My other son who is a year older has the Vitus 20 from chainreaction cycles which is much better than the honzo, makena or anything from spec or trek. Disc brakes, trigger shifter, rigid fork and big tires at just over 20lbs. But, of course, out of stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was looking at a honzo 20 as well for my soon to be 7 year old, but went with the Makena instead as it did not come with the front anchor that the honzo has for a fork. The Suntour XCT JR coil fork that comes on the honzo is total garbage and is the reason I did not get my son that bike.

The fork has so much stiction there is no way for a 50lb kid to get the thing to move. I had to give it a really good press to break the stiction enough to get the fork to compress. The weight of the fork is not proportional to the rest of the bike and makes it very front heavy and would be awkward and difficult for a smaller rider to maneuver. The bigger tires of the Makena will produce much better suspension than that super sticky anchor of a fork, while providing a much easier to maneuver bike with better stability and traction.

Only downside was not having the disc brakes. But v-brakes work pretty darn good compared to mech disc brakes that come on the honzo.

My other son who is a year older has the Vitus 20 from chainreaction cycles which is much better than the honzo, makena or anything from spec or trek. Disc brakes, trigger shifter, rigid fork and big tires at just over 20lbs. But, of course, out of stock.
I was looking at the vitus too, online anyways! This is all really great and helpful.
Thank you! I also wish grip shifters weren’t the kid shifter go to! My kiddo learned the thumb and trigger quickly as the grip shifters we’re always too difficult for her to change. Why doe a lot of the kids bikes come it’s grip shifts?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts