Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
I've got a question maybe some can help. My '04 Hollowpoint sport is only 6 weeks old and the Truvative ISIS SL spindle is already shot. It was loose and creaking so I had the mechanic where I bought the bike take a look. There were a few drops of water in the bottom bracket and the spindle was loose and kind of grinding. Appearantly water got into the bearings.

I've done a bunch of stream crossings but never totally submerged the BB. He band-aided it with White Lightning :-/ because you cant get into it to regrease, so its on borrowed time.

I've been out of the loop for a while, and don't know too much about all the new splined spindles and such. My last tapered Shimano spindle has lasted over ten years.

So my questions are:
Are current spindles so fragile that a few good stream crossings will ruin them?
Or, is the one that came on my bike a POS design, and I should upgrade next time?
Should it be a warentee issue?

Basically I'm trying to decide between buying a good one that will last (hopefully), or cheap disposable units.

BTW, also, a tooth on the small sprocket of the cassette BROKE off, and Performance replaced it without a hassle. But no luck with the spindle.

Thanks, Brian.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The Isis bb bearings seem to not last as long as the other designs. You can change cranks to a different design (external bearing types seem to do better, or even the Shimano splined octalinks), or find a good supply of bb's. One thing that might help is after a ride with stream crossings to take out your seatpost and turn the bike upside down to drain, to make sure no water is sitting in your bottom bracket (it gets in there during stream crossings even without full immersion sometimes). I'd give the heavier duty truvativ bb a try...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Have a look at the attached. I managed to get one of the "prototypes" which I've been running for six months and is still as smooth as new. I believe this design is going to allow ISIS to continue for a while.
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=60&pid=120

Bikinfoolferlife said:
The Isis bb bearings seem to not last as long as the other designs. You can change cranks to a different design (external bearing types seem to do better, or even the Shimano splined octalinks), or find a good supply of bb's. One thing that might help is after a ride with stream crossings to take out your seatpost and turn the bike upside down to drain, to make sure no water is sitting in your bottom bracket (it gets in there during stream crossings even without full immersion sometimes). I'd give the heavier duty truvativ bb a try...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lebikerboy said:
Have a look at the attached. I managed to get one of the "prototypes" which I've been running for six months and is still as smooth as new. I believe this design is going to allow ISIS to continue for a while.
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=60&pid=120
Thanks a lot bro.
I did a Google and it looks like they are now available to the public. This is the site
I found.

http://www.ride-this.com/bike-FSA_P...ml?DrPHP_SID=10e5f33fbbbd1f031bb621e038f9a28b

I'll get one of these when mine craps out.
Thanks, Brian.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I saw something about those a while back, and that looks like combining the best of both worlds for isis but what is the real interchangeability with that bb with all the various isis cranks out there? I saw some of the warning notes about no carbon/road cranksets, but not a specific listing...but maybe I didn't look hard enough either. Still kinda sad when you say hey, it's six months and it still works, I think in terms of years with my square tapers.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Order that replacement outboard-bearing-ISIS BB now. I toasted 3 ISIS BBs last year, one was a Truvativ SL like yours; it blew up in one single weekend. It rained pretty hard, and by Sunday afternoon the BB would only turn forward by force, and wouldn't turn backward. When I dropped it off at the LBS a few days later, it was completely frozen.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My Truvativ BB is rooted after winter here. It seems that the cold and snow has been too much for it, the play in it at the moment is ridiculous!
I am about to buy the same BB that the other dude spoke about, the Truvativ Gigapipe DH. Hopefully that thing will last much longer, i think it has 4 bearings as opposed to the 3 my current BB has.

I remember my first MTB never having a problem with BB's and i thrashed the living daylights out of it. Still can't believe how far MTB's have come and how far BB's haven't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.