Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that my X-Flow is a turd as far as cranks go and that they start loosening up pretty quick. I would like to replace it before this happens. I have an 8 speed rear, three rings up front. Can I use a 9 speed front? Dumb question or not, but is the chain the same on a 8 and 9 speed?
I dont want to change the bottom bracket if I dont have to, this is on a new Haro Shift, I would just like to pull the cranks off and throw on the new, it is an "X" type BB. Anyone have any recomendations for replacements under $200 ? Thanks for any info offered!!!
A.H.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
While I like Shimano versions of the external bb cranks (and do not believe they use the same external bearings as your Truvativs but not positive), there's little magic in a crankset. If your Truvativs are set up well I wouldn't worry about a preemptive strike. If they develop a problem deal with it at that point. 9 speed chain is slightly narrower than 8 speed chain, I'd stick to an 8 speed chain with 8 speed cogs. The newer 9 speed cranks and chainrings will work fine with the 8 speed rears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.