Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
A search here will turn up lots of stuff.

We have two sets of Stylo GXP cranks. They use a fundamentally different design than all the other external bearing cranks. There is no bearing preload, and the non-drive side bearing gets sandwitched between the axle spindle and the non-drive side crank arm. There is not enough space on the spindle on the drive side to run a sandwitched chain guide. The finish on ours is flaking off and our cranks have developed horrible cases of psoriasis. I broke my old Stylo (Isis) crank arm in half a while ago, and the new ones don't seem to be any different in design, so I wonder if they will succumb to fatigue one day too? Get some XTs is my recommendation.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tscheezy said:
A search here will turn up lots of stuff.

We have two sets of Stylo GXP cranks. .
Thanks Tscheezy. I tried a search but didn't get much, perhaps it was my shpelling. :p

Man I am torn now. Two guys in my crew have the new XT's and both have had nothing but problems with the non-drive crank arm 4mm pinch bolts coming loose on rides. One has moved on to FSA's....So I'm not too stoked on XT's after waiting for them on the trail.

Any other suggestions?

I'm pretty happy with the evolve DH's on my big bike so I was considering Atlas's, but they aren't cheap...I do like the external bearing design, don't plan on running a chainguide and would like to keep the price around $250 or less...

·
the goose is loose!
1,276 Posts
i got a truvativ stylo for christmas, and so far it's great. make sure you get the full 35 ft-lb of torque on the left crank arm bolt. ive been jumping, dropping, and trailriding with it and it's pretty good. i got the silver one so i wouldn't get obvious surface wear. i came off of a truvativ hussefelt. so far, the stylo feels very stiff. what kind of crank do you have now? maybe a raceface evolve xc would suit your needs.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
On the XTs..

Yeah ive heard of people stripping non driveside cranks arms and all because of over torqueing the arm, adding too much preload and then making the arm make up for it. Ive ridden thse for some time and really like um. It sucks that they are 74/104 adn the q factos kinda wide..but i never noticed...

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
FM said:
Need a new set of cranks & rings for my trail bike... the stylos look good for the $$.

Any opinions?
I've been running Stylo GXP's for a couple years now - and no issues. Have replaced the BB once.

I would buy another pair.

·
the goose is loose!
1,276 Posts
my brother's hone seems to be doing ok, but the spider had to be lubed because it was creaking like mad. i like cranks where the spider and arm are one piece, like xtr, raceface, and truvativ. the spider on his old fsa creaked too before it started to come loose. i don't think you can go wrong with the truvativ. i love mine. it's a good setup and design.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Our cranks are the gun-metal grey colored ones. They looked anodized at first, but then they started to erupt in these corrosion zits and the plating flaked off in rather large pieces. This never happened with my old black Isis Stylos. They had more of a polished finish. I think the current black and silver cranks should fare better than ours. They are hideous. I have never had any bike part (including magnesium pieces) act like Pop-Rocks in a glass of Dr Pepper the way our cranks are... :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
stylos are lower end and come with entry level build packages. i have heard of many problems with them. i got the hussefelts instead, they are pretty beef and seem to be holding up real well. they are comparable to XT but a good deal cheaper

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
tscheezy said:
.... Get some XTs is my recommendation.
All that plus 10 :thumbsup:

Been on a budget XT for 6 months without any issues, and nothing has come loose. I can't say that about many of the other cranksets I've had... I have yet to reach a year on any crankset I've had. XT may just get me there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
tscheezy said:
Our cranks are the gun-metal grey colored ones. They looked anodized at first, but then they started to erupt in these corrosion zits and the plating flaked off in rather large pieces. This never happened with my old black Isis Stylos. They had more of a polished finish. I think the current black and silver cranks should fare better than ours. They are hideous. I have never had any bike part (including magnesium pieces) act like Pop-Rocks in a glass of Dr Pepper the way our cranks are... :)
My '05's did the exact same thing. I first thought maybe I got some degreaser on there and left it sit. However, after a while I realized it was the entire crank and there was no way I caused the finish to flake off like that. I thought about trying to get a warranty out of it be decided I was too lazy to bother. They did hold up well other than that though. I'm about to replace them with new black versions I got from our team deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.