Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new crank for my single speed 26". The makeshift SS crank I have been using for some time now has finally bit it. I am very much on a budget. The only dedicated SS crank I can permit myself to purchase would be the Stylo. The issue I am running into is that it has the most mixed reviews I have seen on MTBR. Anybody have any first had experience?

Thanks

·
Rocket Boy
272 Posts
BokorSolo said:
I need a new crank for my single speed 26". The makeshift SS crank I have been using for some time now has finally bit it. I am very much on a budget. The only dedicated SS crank I can permit myself to purchase would be the Stylo. The issue I am running into is that it has the most mixed reviews I have seen on MTBR. Anybody have any first had experience?

Thanks
Truvativ, in general makes good stuff. Why not just try it and see what happens? I'm sure it will be fine.

Arby

·
Propr
1,192 Posts
I've run truvativ crank on all my bikes (3) and have had zero problems.

An alternative product you could look into would the be the 15g crank. I saw one on a single speed at my local shop and the owner of the bike was all nuts about it! Not sure if that's in the budget though...

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
nachomc said:
I have the 1.1 GXP on my single speed. It's been fine and given me zero problems.
X2....except the hollow aluminum bolt that secures the left crank arm broke. Replaced it with a steel washer-head bolt from LBS that they had laying around with a flat washer under the head and blue Loctite to keep it tight. Great since then and I love the narrow Q-factor = 6 7/8". :thumbsup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
A good buddy and I have been running the 1.1 for many years with no problems. We're both weighing in around 225 or 230 lbs. So they take a lot of abuse from clydesdales too.

Not Blingy but all around a good crankset.

Winky

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
I've had this set below on 3 bikes now. Been just fine. I've had the BB on 2 bikes - it's good when set up properly. Over torque it and the bearings will go south quickly.

Tip: clean the grease of the non-drive side arm fixing bolt and apply blue loctite before installing. You'll need to check this after the first couple of rides and re-torque (I use 32 ft/lbs, range is 30-35 IIRC).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just a thought, This is what i did. I got the triple stylo new, sold the rings and bolts for 1/2 of the crank cost, and bought the ring and bolts I wanted for my single setup, and came out lower than a 1.1 costs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chanorama said:
Just a thought, This is what i did. I got the triple stylo new, sold the rings and bolts for 1/2 of the crank cost, and bought the ring and bolts I wanted for my single setup, and came out lower than a 1.1 costs.
That is an excellent idea actually, I never really did get around to getting the crank and ended up converting my raceface to a single but that is a good idea. I actually have a single speed ring from salsa that would work, and I don't really use bashguards (weight weenie).

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
chanorama said:
Is the Q factor and chainline the same as the SS dedicated?

·
T Smee
160 Posts
I have been running the Truvativ Stylo 1.1 for over a year with zero problems, for me it was truely a set it and forget it installation. I did just change the chainring and now i have a bit of a creaking when really putting power down hard... Probly just need to pull the chainring bolts out and make sure all is nice and clean, no big deal ( i hope!)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Stylo Q factor/chainline

Natedogz said:
Is the Q factor and chainline the same as the SS dedicated?
I believe it's the exact same crankset. I've never seen any information to the contrary. Chainline will only vary as much as the minor difference between the stock ring, and whatever ring you choose. You can always shim the chainline inward with chainring shims (washers), or if your BB shell is 68mm, you can space it outward by swapping 1 non drive side BB spacer to the drive side. A 73mm BB shell doesn't use any BB spacers with the Stylo

·
you do this at my size
198 Posts
Mine has been working fine for the last 3 years. Just make sure you tighten the crankbolt to spec or it will back out on you, a little 242 loctite helps too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.