Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group. I'm looking at a new set of SS cranks/BB for my bike. Narrowed down to:

1) Truvativ Stylo 1.1
2) FSA V-Drvie
3) RaceFace Evolve XC

They've all got mediocre reviews on the website, so I'm looking for some advice/opinions on which one to get.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
None? I have the Stylo and am I'm looking to sell them and go to ENO cranks w/Ti ring if I can get one or Middleburn UNO. The Stylos aren't bad if you have them set up right, but a lot of people have problems and the BB selection is limited.

·
Registered
536 Posts
mtb.mick said:
Hi group. I'm looking at a new set of SS cranks/BB for my bike. Narrowed down to:

1) Truvativ Stylo 1.1
2) FSA V-Drvie
3) RaceFace Evolve XC

They've all got mediocre reviews on the website, so I'm looking for some advice/opinions on which one to get.
Of those, the RF. Most of the issues with it are due to incorrect installation (insufficient torque used when mounting the left arm).

You couldn't pay me to buy a Truvativ crank, the FSA's are OK for a cheap crank.

but why not just get a NOS LX Octalink crank? or 2-piece Deore. Similar pricing, Shimano reliability.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Running Stylo 1.1 (2008) HARD for a while now with no problems. The crank and the GXP bottom bracket both seem fine after some very tough riding in (sometimes) less than perfect conditions.

·
US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
2,033 Posts
i've been running my truvativ hussefelt SS crankset on my monocog for a couple years now,no problems @ all.

i have some race face turbines (triple) on my 26er gearie,and haven't had a problem there either.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My Haro Mary came with the Stylo cranks. I swapped some FSA Afterburners on before I ever rode the bike. The Stylo went on my old Trek SS convert. After riding the afterburners for a while I took a ride on the Trek and the Stylo's felt like rubber.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've had big problems with the Race Face cranks and so have a couple friends. They simply will not stay tight. I have had zero issues with the Vdrive cranks that I used for 2+ years. I ride pretty damned hard, too. The only gripe that I have is with the durability of outboard bearing bottom brackets, but thats not what we're discussing in this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.