Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall:

I have 2005 Dakota XC with the truvativ stylo cranks. I live in Florida and have only ridden in damp conditions on two occassions. On each occassion I have had trouble with chainsuck. The chain will come off the middle ring towards the outside (towards the big ring) and get sucked between the mid and big ring and then hit the chainstay. Front deraileur is not touching the chain. Anyone else have this problem? It happens when the chain is under load and when it isn't. When dry there is no problem. However, I'm moving to NC and there will be more occasions for riding in wet conditions and with the hills the load on the chain is going to be a lot higher than here in flat old Florida.

Is there a chain line issue w/ Truvativ cranks? could the frame be out of alignment?

any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.
Dan

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the chain is too long. The XT rear "looks" to be in a good position in all gear combinations. I'll double check

as an aside I found the following site regarding chain suck. I found it on Sheldon Brown's web site.

http://fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

Everything you wanted to know about it. It sounds like I may have some defective rings. I haven't ridden my bike that much: new rings, new chain. Based onthe above site it says to look for alloys that are too soft or rings that are out of alignment due to manufacturing processes.. . .

Any other ideas???

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
dkline said:
The chain will come off the middle ring towards the outside (towards the big ring) and get sucked between the mid and big ring and then hit the chainstay. Front deraileur is not touching the chain.
Usually chain suck occurs when you're shifting the front derailleur. I gather from your description that chain suck can occur even when you're not shifting?

Here are some things to check:
  1. bent chain ring
  2. dirty chain and/or chain ring
  3. burrs on chain ring
  4. damaged chain
I doubt that this is a problem with either the chain line or frame alignment. I'd focus my attention on the chain and the middle chain ring.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

KevinB:

Yup, not shifting,not cross ringing. Just like the old bike shop joke, "I was just ridin' along". Thanks for the advice.

Dano

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.