Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered one, and was wondering about bashguard usage. What works? what doesnt work? Any install tips? I have a Saint double w/ their bash, and was wondering if I need to order Truvativ's purpose built bash(I know this will fit), use the machined raceface bash that comes on diabolus(have one lying around), or use my saint/grind it down. All thoughts and comments appreciated!

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
rocpyro said:
I just ordered one, and was wondering about bashguard usage. What works? what doesnt work? Any install tips? I have a Saint double w/ their bash, and was wondering if I need to order Truvativ's purpose built bash(I know this will fit), use the machined raceface bash that comes on diabolus(have one lying around), or use my saint/grind it down. All thoughts and comments appreciated!
To put it simply, YES you NEED the Truvativ bashguard that mates to the Boxguide. It is the only basher built tp work specifically with the BG.

FWIW, other bashers will work, but you'd have to space them out from the guide/rings so much that the basher becomes almost useless as a means of protecting your rings and keeping the chain from dropping.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
yes, you need the truvativ bash guard. also you mentioned haveing a saint double.... the box guide is meant to run on one chainring only.

·
In exile
542 Posts
Not to be argumentative, but I have evidence that suggests that a RF bash guard works fine. 34 tooth ring, but will likely add a 36 soon. I don't know why any guard won't work.

With ISCG mounts - I did have to grind my granny tabs, as I didn't get a 118mm spindle.
https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/loco-******/seatpost004.jpg

With little improvising of an adapter and a pulley instead of the roller.

You can note that the outer plate is ground down some on the Soul, but the plate has been left off on the STP. Either way, it can't drop the chain.
https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/loco-******/IMG_1117.jpg

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/loco-******/IMG_1112.jpg

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/loco-******/IMG_1118.jpg

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
loco-****** said:
Not to be argumentative, but I have evidence that suggests that a RF bash guard works fine.
I guess that is a matter of opinion.

Don't get me wrong, but why not just do it the right way?? It looks better and will also work better.

I have no issues with modifications, if they solve some problem or enhance the products ability to function (PUSH is a fine example). However, these halfarsed mods do neither and IMO look like [email protected] Regardless of all that props if your happy and it works for you. I'm a bit of a bike wh0re and don't personally like most backyard mechanic mods.

·
In exile
542 Posts
red5 said:
I guess that is a matter of opinion.

Don't get me wrong, but why not just do it the right way?? It looks better and will also work better.

I have no issues with modifications, if they solve some problem or enhance the products ability to function (PUSH is a fine example). However, these halfarsed mods do neither and IMO look like [email protected] Regardless of all that props if your happy and it works for you. I'm a bit of a bike wh0re and don't personally like most backyard mechanic mods.
Wait - what's half a$$ed about me grinding the plate down on the guide, as I did for the Roscoe? Unless the Truvativ guard is spaced way out, I don't know how it would have been any different. It looked more like you would run it without a bash, like an LG-1. The RF guard is thinner than the Truvativ guard, it appears to me, so I don't know what that would matter.

As far as the guide mounted on the STP, I made an adapter, left the plate off, and put a pulley on, since the roller was spaced too far over. I personally like the look, and would hardly call it half a$$ed, but I get what you are saying. I really thought of running an SRS, but in the long run I like the looks of this just as well and it works flawlessly.

The real question here was "do I have to run an Truvativ guard?" and I answered him with the right answer and pictures to provide evidence of it working. I have zero problems with bike whores, as I am one myself, but sometimes the shipping times and such urge me to try things. On this one, I think it worked well. My opinion, of course.

edit - out of the box - it won't work with just any guard. I am not sure that without removing the outer plate, or grinding it, that it will work with a bash period.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts