Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Was wondering if crankset manufacturing company would normally design their crankset with a offset for the chainring. The offset is that the chainring is not turning in circle, but move forward and backward compare to the axle. This is causing my chain to pull on the derailler when I use my derailler, but trouble me when riding SS. I have to put a chain tensioner

I have a Truvativ AKA BB30 crank and when I install a 32 teeth chainring, it is offset. Since I'm riding single speed, I have to ajust the tensioner to compensate.

My question is: is it normal to have a offset chainring on the crank. Does it help to shift better ?

Or is it a bad manufacturing process ?

I seen some other crank behave like that. If you hold the bike, and pedal backward, if the derailler stand still, your chainring is not offset, but if your derailler move forward and backward, the chainring is offset.

I would like to ask truvativ (SRAM) people if it is normal, do they design their crank with a offset.

I will have to look for a different crank to run my single speed. Just wondering if I will encounter the same problem again.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Not designed that way, just manufacturing tolerances.
Try a different chainring. Try rotating the chainring on the spider. You can try loosening the chainring bolts and moving the chainring before tightening it. Seems to me I've seen a website that discussed this - maybe Sheldon Brown.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.