Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of waiting on parts to build an Esker Hayduke Ti as my primary Plus/Gravel bike. I'm done with drop-bar gravel bikes and plan to build something a bit more comfortable. I've already got multiple 29" wheelsets, so I want to build a 27.5+ with Teravail Coronado 27.5x3" Tires. Whenever it comes to 27.5x3" tires, people always lean towards wider is better. Between the recommendations for i40 and i45, I see far more recommendations for the latter. This goes against Teravail's Bike Tire Size Guide. I have no plans to run small 27.5" tires, so compatibility with lesser widths is a moot point. So, what say you? Is wider better or do I go with the Manufacturer's recommendation? I plan to take advantage of the Black Friday deals on a new wheel build.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
60 Posts
the wheelset you have now ( im assumign you DO but just are itching to upgrade) how wide are they?? try out the 45 this time around.. its about the best way i can think of for you to know if its for you or not,, dive into it.. indulge.. if it really isnt your cup of tea.. you can always sell em down the road.. since it seems to be the more popular width in your application so offloading might be easier ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All my wheels are 700/29 so this would be my only 27.5 set. I ran a mullet Hardtail with an ARC 40 a few years ago but nothing recent.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
What a silly question. Of course you shouldn’t listen to the professional engineer who designs tires for a living. Listen to the bros on the internet, that’s always the smart move.

·
Rippin da fAt
11,957 Posts
I'm in the process of waiting on parts to build an Esker Hayduke Ti as my primary Plus/Gravel bike. I'm done with drop-bar gravel bikes and plan to build something a bit more comfortable. I've already got multiple 29" wheelsets, so I want to build a 27.5+ with Teravail Coronado 27.5x3" Tires. Whenever it comes to 27.5x3" tires, people always lean towards wider is better. Between the recommendations for i40 and i45, I see far more recommendations for the latter. This goes against Teravail's Bike Tire Size Guide. I have no plans to run small 27.5" tires, so compatibility with lesser widths is a moot point. So, what say you? Is wider better or do I go with the Manufacturer's recommendation? I plan to take advantage of the Black Friday deals on a new wheel build.

View attachment 2010328
40 or 45 will serve you well. 40's will work nicely with 2.8's and frankly, I run a pair of G-One 2.8's on my i45's drama free. It really is a tossup between 40 & 45.

What a silly question. Of course you shouldn’t listen to the professional engineer who designs tires for a living. Listen to the bros on the internet, that’s always the smart move.
Those clowns? There are too many DH rated tires being billed as XC, an you want me to listen to them??
****, they'd have me running load range F tires on a bloody Subaru if they had their bloomin' way!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Look at what other tire manufacturers say. Over the life of the wheelset, you may have multiple tires and change the tire brand/model. I assume most manufacturers will somewhat be similar in their recommendations. Look at this Schwalbe chart. They recommend the 72-83mm tires for up to 50 mm ID.

The chart seems to apply for ALL their tire models (it says road, gravel, mountain). Maybe contact them if for the tire you selected the optimum recommendation is a bit different. It is hard to see, but looks like the 3.0 tire still is allowed on an i45 rim and they recommend i40. So this is a situation "you decide what you want to do based on your terrain and riding style".

Reactions: BansheeRune

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I think i40 is probably the safer bet when it comes to future compatibility and there are a few more rim options in i40 vs i45. @DrDon, I'm sure Mike has great advice, but I'd feel guilty using his insight and not purchasing from him. I've use Colorado Cyclist, Cycle Wheels USA and Light Bicycle, but never Mike. These will likely be an overseas wheel build simply due to pricing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i40 will give a more rounded profile to the tire. i45 will maximize the tires contact patch. Increasing the contact patch will increase grip and rolling resistance. However the difference will be minimal. I run a 2.8 on an arc 40 on the rear and a 3.0 on a durroc 45 on the front.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts