Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
dmccros1 said:
hello all

Is there a reasonably priced trunk rack that will hold the stumpjumper fsr?
No, at least not by itself. What you will need is to get the trunk rack of your choice (I have a Saris Bones) and buy an adaptor. The adaptor is an adjustable rod that attaches to the steerer tube and the seat post to create a flat surface to rest across the arms of the trunk rack. Several companies make them, including Performance Bikes.

The downside is that adaptors, while I'm sure they're perfectly safe, still add "wobble" to the bike while on the rack. It gave me the willies, so I started using my roof rack again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
dmccros1 said:
hello all

Hey Dmccros1!

I have got something like the one on the picture.

I am not sure what reasonable price is, this is kind of expensive. It's $104 on price point.

It carries my Stumpy ok.

Pedro

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Drewdane said:
No, at least not by itself. What you will need is to get the trunk rack of your choice (I have a Saris Bones) and buy an adaptor. The adaptor is an adjustable rod that attaches to the steerer tube and the seat post to create a flat surface to rest across the arms of the trunk rack. Several companies make them, including Performance Bikes.

The downside is that adaptors, while I'm sure they're perfectly safe, still add "wobble" to the bike while on the rack. It gave me the willies, so I started using my roof rack again.
I have a hitch rack, but instead of using one of those adapters, I flip my stumpy upside down and put the downtube in the cradle. Then I loop a bungee cord aroung the front tire and latch it to the seat rails to keep it steady. It works great and I don't have to worry about that adapter thingy.....

Dean

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
Pedro2005 said:
Hey Dmccros1!

I have got something like the one on the picture.

I am not sure what reasonable price is, this is kind of expensive. It's $104 on price point.

It carries my Stumpy ok.

Pedro
Really? i've got that rack, and I had to pick up the adaptor - how do you make it fit?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Drewdane said:
Really? i've got that rack, and I had to pick up the adaptor - how do you make it fit?
Ok, here is a dumbass rendering of how I put the bike on it.

Note that my bike is XL so the proportions may not be the same. Also the bike wheels are not neccesarily at the same level once you put the bike on; the rear wheel will be higher up than the front one. You might also have to move the rack a little to the right so that the bike is aligned with the car.

Furthermore, I am quite sure that there are other options that are available since the rack's arms can be positioned so that they are not at the same height and you can even change the rack arm distance with respect to one another. I guess I didn't bother with playing with the possible variations once I got it to work one way.

Pedro

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the feedback everyone. I hate to admit it but this has actually become a factor in my next bike purchase. Right now I'm looking at the Trek Fuel Ex7 and the Stumpy but the stumpy would require some additional accomodations such as a new rack but its looking like even the most adjustable rear racks like the Saris stiil require the adapter unless you get a larger size bike. I spoke to the lbs that sells specialized and they said it might fit on the saris since I'm looking at a large but most likely I would need the adapter. I definitely want peace of mind when put the bike on the rack and it sounds like the adapter is a bit sketchy. I wish I had the $$ to get a roof rack.

·
Humpmaster general
472 Posts
Pedro2005 said:
Ok, here is a dumbass rendering of how I put the bike on it.

I have a cheap $40 trunk rack, and I put one of the arms under the linkage plate, so it is touching the linkage plate and the rear tire. The other arm ends up under the "D" in Specialized. The only way it would come off is if the straps on the rack broke and the whole rack fell off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
dmccros1 said:
thanks for the feedback everyone. I hate to admit it but this has actually become a factor in my next bike purchase. Right now I'm looking at the Trek Fuel Ex7 and the Stumpy but the stumpy would require some additional accomodations such as a new rack but its looking like even the most adjustable rear racks like the Saris stiil require the adapter unless you get a larger size bike. I spoke to the lbs that sells specialized and they said it might fit on the saris since I'm looking at a large but most likely I would need the adapter. I definitely want peace of mind when put the bike on the rack and it sounds like the adapter is a bit sketchy. I wish I had the $$ to get a roof rack.
Here's what mine looks like mounted upside down...... A buddy has an '04 Stumpy and it fits on it the same way. I know it's a different style of rack, but it probably should fit the same unless you have a bottle cage on there. Just a thought......

Dean

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Saris and SJ120

dmccros1 said:
I have a Saris Bones (3 bike version) and an S-Works 120 (medium), while it's a little tricky, you can get the bike on that rack with out damaging the shock or an adaptor. Simply slide bike with the drive train outbound, putting the left arm underneath the linkage plate, strap the the vertical stablizer around the rear tire and right arm underneath the down tube. This centers the bike on the car, and keeps the wheels level with the ground. The bike is very stable at highway speeds and the Saris straps won't fail. I can send you a pic if you'd like to see how it works.

One thing about the Saris racks: they say the feet are non-marking or non-destructive to paint, don't believe them. The feet will rub down your clear coat and into the paint, I know from experience. A talk with a body shop guy gave me a cheap solution to prevent further damage: Go to K-mart/Wal-Mart/Target, etc and buy 4 face clothes (I use Martha Stewart's Collection because she needs money for her legal fund ;) ) Then take zip ties and secure them around the feet of the Saris rack, you may need to get creative with the folds, but it will work. The body shop suggested towels of some sort and this give me perfect solution that keeps everything in place.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Deanoldo said:
Here's what mine looks like mounted upside down...... A buddy has an '04 Stumpy and it fits on it the same way. I know it's a different style of rack, but it probably should fit the same unless you have a bottle cage on there. Just a thought......

Dean
Isn't that bad for hydraulic brakes? :confused:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Stumpy04 said:
Isn't that bad for hydraulic brakes? :confused:
I have mechanicals, so no worries.... But according to the folks over on the Brake Time forum, as long as the brakes are properly bled, there should be no issues with putting a bike with hydraulics upside down.

Dean

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
dmccros1 said:
hello all

I've never messed with the adapter. My rack is a Rhode Warrior and it holds the bike in place fine. I just put the posts roughly where the blue dots are in the pic and use the rubber straps to hold it to the rack. I usually do one more bungee to hold the front wheel in place. The only concern I ever have is that the bike is resting on the derailleur cables.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
dmccros1 said:
hello all

I rarely have to deal with trunk racks but there seems to always be a way to get my FSR on them, sometimes more creative than others. I've also put it in a trunk before (take off both wheels, seatpost).

·
Registered
90 Posts
dmccros1 said:
hello all

I have a 04 Stumpjumper FSR and this is what I use........
Go to this site http://www.deltacycle.com/ and look at the "hunchrack". It will fit to any trunk, hatchback, or SUV. The bike is secured by the fork and rear tire ( like a roof mount). Very stable and less wind resistance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Deanoldo said:
I have mechanicals, so no worries.... But according to the folks over on the Brake Time forum, as long as the brakes are properly bled, there should be no issues with putting a bike with hydraulics upside down.

Dean
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Just don't do what I did with my trunk rack (for the sake of the story disregard hardtail)....

I loaded my new RH onto the trunk rack I've had for ages and it all ghetto *** with pipe insulation wrapped in wide electrical tape, and drove home. When I got home I noticed that because the new bike has a 130mm Marzocchi fork the front wheel was 6" from the ground, max. Since then I've been putting the one arm under the downtube behind the headtube just behind the fork crown. So yeah, I'm glad I didn't hit any big potholes or dips or speedbumps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.