Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new 2008 RFX rocks. No surprise to old skool Homers; but I am amazed. On paper the RFX looks just like my Ventana, but Devils in the details - and DT knows the details. Apperantly, anyways. This bike rides nothing like the super-bobby, squat-prone Saltamontes (my current xc-trail bike).

This bike climbs SUPERBLY. I just got off an Ibis Mojo, which climbs great, so I was afraid I might be giving up a little something going to the TNT, but I don't think so. In fact I cleaned a climb on the RFX that I never cleaned on the Mojo.

Downhill it is good, but will soon be great. I am currently running a 2008 RP23 with lowest compression tune - but will soon be switching out to a Marz Roco TST.

The RP23 and I don't get along. I hate ProPedal. I hope the Roco free's up the rear end to move a little more freely.

Only two rides on the RFX thus far, but so far it is great - fits good, is comfortable, a great climber and just an all around solid feeling bike.

Attachments

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trailadvent said:
:band:

I like yer thinking on the Roco I hate platfoms as well, I run the tnt also!

Welcome to the old school Kool Aid we been trying to keep it secret but it keeps getting out, even though many e experts keep poo pooin it :p , keep err stoke coming dude looking good :cool:
It's really amazing what a few millimeters can do. That's basically the difference between TNT and Ventana's design. I keep referring to the Ventana, cause that's my current XC bike - and the two atleast appear similar.

But the TNT really pedals well. The slightly higher pivot location provides just enough chain torque, without too much pedal feedback - like standard high pivot designs.

Here's a few more pics from yesterdays ride. Rockville, 45 minutes out side of San Francisco.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
Great looking bike!

Hey if you are planning on running a roco coil, you will find that the resevoir hits the downtube at full compression. The fixes suggested to me were either to put a dent in the downtube to add clearance, or file the roco's resevoir down. I've heard mixed reports on the roco air having the same issue.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
iheartbicycles said:
It's really amazing what a few millimeters can do. That's basically the difference between TNT and Ventana's design. I keep referring to the Ventana, cause that's my current XC bike - and the two atleast appear similar.

But the TNT really pedals well. The slightly higher pivot location provides just enough chain torque, without too much pedal feedback - like standard high pivot designs.

Here's a few more pics from yesterdays ride. Rockville, 45 minutes out side of San Francisco.
Oh and DTs pixie dust :D there is the rocker design too, and often overlooked but often talked about looks the same placement it may look in the same place but I bet it isn't.

The little subtle differences on the stays at the BB junction there's lots of 'key' differences to Ventana!

& Kona's and other designs if understood and truly bike passionate, not you! others who make those wild statements peeps and Journo's, the small differences are big imo I came from another brand which looked quite a bit closer on paper and in form than even the Ventana and I can tell you they ride nothing alike, but I knew that before I changed over though I had ridden both side by side many times before so I knew what I was getting into haha.

Better though once setup for me!

Here's some info on the Roco setup re frame clearance, yours is XL or L ?
Youve had some good latter rigs to compare lately which is good too, very interesting to hear ya comments on the Mojo though I'm not surprised!
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4507917#post4507917

Nice specc too :thumbsup:

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
starre said:
who's your buddy on the lenz? if you traded bikes, it would be really interesting to hear any comparison between the RFX and the behemoth/lunchbox - thanks!
The Lenz comes with a high compression tune and medium rebound tune. YUCK! My friend (mtbr poster, 7HVN) is considering getting something more active than the RP23. Did I mention that I hate Propedal? :)p ).

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FM said:
Great looking bike!

Hey if you are planning on running a roco coil, you will find that the resevoir hits the downtube at full compression. The fixes suggested to me were either to put a dent in the downtube to add clearance, or file the roco's resevoir down. I've heard mixed reports on the roco air having the same issue.
Thanks Dude.

The RFX actually shipped from Go-Ride with the Roco Air TST, but it was blown, even before I rode it (air in the oil). So I poached the RP23 from the Ibis just for the interim.

I was able to test clearance on my large RFX with the Roco, before taking it off the bike. It looks like there's about 1/8th" between the piggyback and the down tube at full compression.

I'll be sure to double check before riding (after I get it rebuilt) and make changes as necessary. Thanks again.!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just went on my first ride with my recently acquired 2006 RFX frame. It's actually the frame singlepivot used to own (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=252072). I was pleasantly surprised by the climbing manners too, I do run some propedal though. Another thing I noticed was that it has a pretty agile feel, I expected it to be more sluggish given it's more burly layout.

I built this bike for the rough stuff, and I'm almost tempted to get one of the closeout 5spot frames to replace the 04 Enduro I have for the long rides.

C>

Mandatory pic:

Attachments

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
The 2006 rocks too. It's just different. Some people like it, but I dig the additional burliness in the tubes. It's not made for pedaling as much as the 07-08, I figure, but has its own place.

Maybe with the ISCG tabs I'll go Hammerschmidt or Triebwerk ;)

I haven't ridden steadily in some months, especially since my early fall injury in Italy and I felt it today. 100meter climbs were painful and I actually used the granny. Further proof to myself the bike is only as fun and as good as I can make it. Not like I have anything else, but my RFX can do it all and is my epic ride/exploration bike that I don't have to worry about. Hell, the week in Italy was brutal on us and the bikes and both didn't show a single problem (outside a bad shift in mud and a resulting broken chain).

·
... I guess you won't be
1,984 Posts
a Pushed RP23/3 might alleviate your "platform" woes......Push's damping kinda makes the propedal irrelevant, and I often forget to switch from full-propedal to wide open, and don't notice the difference when things get crazy. The only place I notice the PP is when climbing, the rear end feels a little firm-er and doesn't move into it's travel as easily. But, for really techy climbs, the wide open setting is great for getting max traction.

Either way, you're onto discovering how good a bike can be - enjoy.

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
Sometimes I like to ride other 'brand' bikes and back to the RFX or Highline.

Its in those times, I remember how nice Turner bikes really are. just like the experience you just had with your first Turner.

Magic surfboards are rare, but Turner keeps putting out magic bikes. I have a white 06' rfx like the one above. I just ordered a green 08', I hope the change from my 06' to the new 08' will be an improvement that is noticable.

Awesome bike and great to hear your story on it. I especially like the ride pics you posted, looks fun!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wow, nice RFX. You got that thing put together quick, I bought my 08 close-out in late November and am still waiting on the wheels from I9.

Would you mind posting your build? And, I am curious about what you don't like about PP? I heard you are not too fond of it :=]

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Serotta b1kr said:
Wow, nice RFX. You got that thing put together quick, I bought my 08 close-out in late November and am still waiting on the wheels from I9.

Would you mind posting your build? And, I am curious about what you don't like about PP? I heard you are not too fond of it :=]
Build:
Large 2008 RFX
RP23 Shock - Roco TST Air being rebuilt
2009 Fox 36 TALAS
Marzochi 20 mil hub, built on Syncros Big Box rims, double butted, alloy nips
SRAM XO Shifters, rear derailleur
XT cassette, 11/32
XT front derailleur
Easton Monkey Lite MX bars
Thomson X4 90 mil stem
CK headset
Avid Elixr CR brakes - 180 mil rotors front and rear
Raceface Atlas cranks/BB
Time ATAC carbon/ti pedals
Gravity Dropper post
Fizik Aliante saddle
Ringle Dirty Flea rear hub
Kenda Nevegal 2.3" front and rear

RE ProPedal. I just don't like it. This is a total subjective assesment. I have had 2 Foes' (FXR and Fly) with Curnutt shocks, which I really, really like. I have a Manitou Swinger Air with SPV on my Ventana El Saltamontes, which is (somewhat surprisingly) a great shock; and have had more than 30 full suspension bikes in the last 13 years. So I have gotten used to full suspension and in particular how to ride a really active bike.

I can not bring myself to get used to Fox's take on platform damping.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
I suspect your issue with the RP23 are most likely due to the fact that your RP23 came off you Mojo. Totally different suspension. Plus you have the small air can.

Get yourself a Push Tune for the RP23 and you will be impressed. I also run a Pushed Van R, (a completely under rated shock) as I too don't really like flipping levers during the ride so much.

Be interested to hear how you like the Roco. Also, how do you like the Elixer's? Can you compare them to Juicy's??

Enjoy your ride! I sure do.

Attachments

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
S-Works said:
I suspect your issue with the RP23 are most likely due to the fact that your RP23 came off you Mojo. Totally different suspension. Plus you have the small air can.

Get yourself a Push Tune for the RP23 and you will be impressed. I also run a Pushed Van R, (a completely under rated shock) as I too don't really like flipping levers during the ride so much.

Be interested to hear how you like the Roco. Also, how do you like the Elixer's? Can you compare them to Juicy's??

Enjoy your ride! I sure do.
Nope, No, Yes.
The RP23 that comes on the Ibis has the lowest compression tune you can get on an RP23 and it still, in my opinion has too much compression damping and serves only to deaden the ride. Going with the stock RP23 spec'd on the RFX, which has a medium compression tune, would increase my level of discontent with the shock.

I have had many other RP3's/RP23's and ProPedal shocks on my various other bikes, and have pretty much concluded I hate ProPedal. Not sure if I've made this clear.

Thankfully the shock is an interim solution, only. Hopefully the Roco will do the trick.

The Elixer's work well. They have a firmer lever feel than the Juicy's and are maybe a little stronger. One finger endo's are easy with the Elixer's

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.