Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Wait, what!?
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people have asked what wheel set/hub works well for their E150 forks, but Im not worried about that right now. I dont mind my DT Swiss wheels so far, and cant afford the wheels and hubs I would want, so this is not another one of those threads.

I had a DH/FR wheel set sitting around, and I wanted to be able to throw it on my bike if I ever had the chance to go try out some light lift assist trails or maybe pound some urban assault stuff downtown. :thumbsup: So I bought a used from hub from a homie on mtbr and laced it up to the front wheel, but seeing as how I dont have a truing device, and I didnt want to buy one, I took it to my local Spec dealer to have it done. The first time I took it in without the front axle, because I had planned a nice long ride early the next morning, and I assumed that the shop (the sells Spec bikes) would have something they used when truing wheels with the 25mm hub, or maybe they didnt even need the axle to true it. Tunrs out they do need it, so I took it in today, WITH the front axle, and they still looked at me like an idiot. There isnt anything else I can think of that they could possibly need in order to true my wheel, seeing as how they have my wheel, first of all, and my axle, as well as the machine needed to true it!

I guess what I am asking is, is it really that big of a deal? Im sure they can do hubs with the 20mm thru, why would they come across as annoyed, stumped, or confused when I gave then my 25? I know a number of you guys out there have had to have theirs built or trued, how did that go? I just felt un-welcome, and like they thought I was an idiot, and I want to know why.

</rant>

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Was this a Roadie type of shop where bleeding Hydrulic brakes or adding the correct amount of air pressure to any fork or shock may be a challenge to them? If so, they just don't like you becuase you are a MTBer!!

I have built 2 25mm front wheels now using an old Park TS-1 truing stand. 1st put the 25mm axel thru the hub, put the wheel in the stand, then tighten the TS-1 tight against the bushings or spacers (whatever you want to call them), then take strong thin nylon cord, run it thru the axel, and figure a way to snugly pull down on that axel using the cord. Of course this makes dishing the wheel a PITA becuase you have to release the cord, but it works. You might want them to cover the V-shaped grooves in the TS-1 with black tape as well.

·
Registered
538 Posts
mostly they should be calling specialized and making them feel like idiots, not you. i put the deal soley on them for making that hub in the first place.

i'll relate the first time i got called out by the shop snob about truing an enduro sl wheel in the forks.

first off the 25mm hub is crap. there's simply no reason for it, at least not a suitable one. then there's the fact that you usually need an adapter or an axle for the thru axle front hubs. well, most shops are going to use the park tool ts1 stand. the notches for the axle are not open enough to put a thru axle in it without the wheel rolling out of the repair stand when you spin it. and no one makes a 25mm adapter CAN YOU SAY DROPPING THE BALL, SPECIALIZED??? at least provide your shops with the tools to work on your proprietary products when you insist on making them. there's a tool to insert headset cups on ruby and roubaix frames. well, i need to true every enduro wheel that comes in, but i sure don't need to press the headset in every ruby or roubaix.:madman:

i don't know maybe they're working on it, it might need to be hydroformed like the new sxt. or maybe they finished and i just haven't heard anything since i asked and had to have them made elsewhere.

sorry, i got sidetracked there. in any event, the shop might not have been able to do the work without actually having the bike there and even then it might not have been that exact given their possible shortage of the right tools for the job. if the shop is relatively small, it's a good chance that they don't see enough of them to justify having a tool machined for a job they do once or twice a year. i had to ask a local machinist to make adapters for our shop.

in any event that sucks that you ended up getting the treatment you did. i'd have a talk with the shops manager. specifically the service manager if they are big enough to have one. i might also see about finding a qualified mechanic there who would be interested in finding solutions to your problems. trust me - i think the words "okay, so you're an idiot" about 10 times a day when dealing with customers. but i never let their problems persist. even when it is some clueless dad who thinks that his little girl can't go on vacation if her plastic chainguard falls off her single speed bike.

·
Wait, what!?
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the shop is probably about 40% mtb, 30% road, and 30% everything else, like beach cruisers, joggers, and such. The tech that I talked with (maybe 55 years old or so) did seem a little roadie-ish though, because when he looked at my gnarly, beat up rim, he kind of snickered in disbelief. I dont want to judge though.

There is this other kid that works there that I deal with most of the time that is pretty cool. He has the same bike as me I think. Maybe he just wants one, but either way, we are both obsessed with it. He wasnt around today or I would have talked to him. I know they have at least 3 SLs on the floor though, one of them being a test bike, so if they needed a fork to true it on (thats possible, right) there isnt a shortage. I just hope they dont screw up my hub somehow, even though it isnt the hub I will be using most of the time.

And yea, I wouldnt mind if the E150 used a 20mm either. Oh well though, I guess. I cant really ***** about that when I am madly in love with the bike. I just want a wheelset I can beat the hell out of, and one that is light that I can ride XC on! I should get it back tomorrow sometime.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.