Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

truing stand

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  skiz 
#1 ·
don't all bikes come with them (read: forks)

the thing is I want to true my rims but don't want to buy a stand if don't have too. Does it work?

#3 ·
Wait for a sale

I picked up a Minoura truing stand for cheap, maybe $35. It's screwed down to my workbench. I don't use it much, but if you're building or rebuilding a wheel, there is no substitute to a stable, accurate, eye-level truing stand. It just makes it that much faster to dial in a wheel radially, laterally, and dished on center.

That said, you can make your own out of old frame parts (100mm - rigid fork and/or 135mm - rear chainstays, bolted to the table), but having an adjustable width stand that folds out of the way is really handy.

JMJ

#4 ·
Thanks. At some point (when I move out of this 1bdrm apt) I'll invest in one. My only option now is bolting it to the kitchen table;). I've never trued any rims before so in the end if I can't learn the skill I'll take it to the LBS, hopefully I can figure it out. Anyone mind giving me a run down or want to point me to a guide that is good?

#8 ·
donalson said:
mike... thanks for the link... i've been thinking about wanting to build my own wheelset... maybe i'll justify building a cheap SS wheelset :)...
All you really need is a spoke wrench. Everything else, even the basic stuff I use and recommend on my site, can be adapted.

The best thing you can buy is Roger's e-book, linked from my site. He even shows you how to make a cardboard dishing tool - and even that is not necessary if you just flip the wheel in the fork (or hi priced jig).

#12 ·
Don't forget to dish your rims first ! and check for all three ways that you can ture a rim... and if you really want to get spiff and you should care about your wheels enough to do so, aim for all the same spoke tension... i ding mine to guage them (in the same place on each spoke, with my spoke wrench held the same way each time).... not the best, but i have yet to break down and buy a tensioniomier... (sp?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.