Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an old motorcycle truing stand on eBay to restore. Blasted and powder coated, new stainless hardware, and machined cones. All that's left is a gauge for the up and down. It works great for all but solid-axle wheels. Perhaps I'll make some adapters down the road. The main shortfall is that one can not dish a wheel with this setup.

-Joel

Bicycle wheel rim Machine Steel Bicycle part Engineering


Machine Metal Engineering Cylinder Automotive engine part


Machine Metal Cylinder Steel Machine tool


Wood Hardwood Floor Wood stain Flooring


Bicycle wheel rim Wood Rim Spoke Bicycle tire


Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Rim Spoke Bicycle tire
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
That's sweet. Nice work!

I love the old tools. I'm currently restoring an old, 1956 Logan 8" Shaper. It's fun to keep the old iron looking nice and running well. Given a bankroll, anyone can go get a new tool off the shelf but that's no fun IMO. Recycle, reduce, reuse. ...Good stuff! :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Funny thing is .....when Shimano started producing their own wheels a few years back there was a video circulating of one of their plants and all those building wheels there were using the same HTK truing stand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
i have a truing stand just like that, made a adaptor thing to use a dial indicator (just a cheap 1" one) instead of the threaded gauges (or what ever you call them that rub up against the rim) really made it a lot easier/quicker to use, and much easier to get the dish right, now just get the dish close by eye/feel, check with a dish gauge once, then figure out how far you need to go, and just watch the dial till you are there, usually comes out perfect, without having to go back and forth with a dish gauge. anyway, just something to consider, (yours looks to be in better shape than mine, to start with, and for sure now)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Great work! I'm jealous of that find.

Can I ask a couple of stupid questions?

How do you know when the hub is centered on the jig, relative to the devices that touch the rim? Do you have a master reference? Do you count exposed threads on hub holder screws? Or do you just use indicate off of one side of the jig only, then keep flipping the hub around to get to center, like I do on my $20 cheapy jig?

--thanks, zip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
zipzit said:
Great work! I'm jealous of that find.

Can I ask a couple of stupid questions?

How do you know when the hub is centered on the jig, relative to the devices that touch the rim? Do you have a master reference? Do you count exposed threads on hub holder screws? Or do you just use indicate off of one side of the jig only, then keep flipping the hub around to get to center, like I do on my $20 cheapy jig?

--thanks, zip
I don't know if the hub is centered at all. This is why I can't dish wheels in it, just get them straight side-to-side and up-and-down.

-Joel
 

·
Single Speed Junkie
Joined
·
3,116 Posts
Clockwork Bikes said:
I don't know if the hub is centered at all. This is why I can't dish wheels in it, just get them straight side-to-side and up-and-down.

-Joel
Think that dishing would be possible in that stand. Say if you fixed one side while truing all that would be required is to flip the wheel 180 in the stand. Once the caliper reference measured the same distance on both sides of the rim I would think this would effectively dish the wheel. I could be wrong, but just a thought.

BTW real nice restoration job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
gm1230126 said:
Funny thing is .....when Shimano started producing their own wheels a few years back there was a video circulating of one of their plants and all those building wheels there were using the same HTK truing stand.
Weren't they Hozan? Same thing almost. The stands in the Dura Ace building wheel were something else entirely.

-Schmitty-
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
crux said:
Think that dishing would be possible in that stand. Say if you fixed one side while truing all that would be required is to flip the wheel 180 in the stand. Once the caliper reference measured the same distance on both sides of the rim I would think this would effectively dish the wheel. I could be wrong, but just a thought.

BTW real nice restoration job.
He'd have to consistently loosen and tighten just one side of the two hub mounts when flipping the wheel to the opposite direction to check and adjust dish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chequamagon said:
Funny - the thing I notice about this picture is the hardwood floors and kickboard trim, an image of a 1920s Minneapolis bungalow? My house looks the exact same, as so many other Mpls houses. We must live close!
I'm at 40th and Cedar Ave. So. Built in '22 and I really like the woodwork, too, but it pisses me off to no end how much paint previous owners splattered all over it.

-Joel
 

·
Single Speed Junkie
Joined
·
3,116 Posts
Clockwork Bikes said:
I'm at 40th and Cedar Ave. So. Built in '22 and I really like the woodwork, too, but it pisses me off to no end how much paint previous owners splattered all over it.

-Joel
I know where that is at, still.

Really do not know what happened several years back for everyone to start covering everything wooden in paint. I mean really WTF. Recently found some old wooden boxes painted any # of colors. When the stripping process began I found really nice pieces of Mahogany and Cherry. One is real nice, but can not identify the wood as of yet, but suspect a rosewood or the like. Wife took quite a few of them, but still was able to use a few for tool storage.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top