Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are the chances of DT building a true AM Spot? The current one seems to lean towards "trail riding" and the new RFX is going to have 170 mm of travel.

A lot of riders claim the quality of travel on the new DW Spot is just as capable as the older RFX. Why not create a new DW Spot with similar angles to the old RFX?

I know a lot of people are throwing 160 mm forks on their Spots but that puts the BB pretty high (14") for a 5" bike and slackens the SA quite a bit.

What I am looking for:
5 SPot that is built around the current 150 (529 A2C) or 160 mm forks (545 A2C)
67* HA
73* SA
~13.5 BB
Tapered HT
ISCG bracket

Why?
I want a bike I can ride all day but still rip on the DH with Turner quality. I know the RFX is coming but 170 mm seems like a lot of travel to lug around all day and I would just end up building it up heavy.

Could they do this with just making a new front triangle?

Am I the only one interested?

TG

·
Banned
91 Posts
Ditto... you're not the only one. Your specs seem close to what I would want... maybe one * slacker of a HA... and of course I like your ISCG's... for a HS :D !!! I would buy one fo sho.

I have heard rumors that the RFX could be built around 30, but that seems hard to believe, mostly cuss there is no RFX yet, but also because the goodies would be too light for such a burly bike!

Oh yeah, slightly larger junctions at HT:TT, TT:ST, and TT: DT... I would not gripe if the weight penalty were .5-1lb on the frame

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was thinking the same thing the other day. A lot of people round these parts are raving about the new Enduro and I got to thinking it would be good to have a Turner to fill that bracket. The thing is, that really is rfx territory. I think we'd be better off trying to convince DT to lower the BB a bit compared to the proposed geometry posted on the website and sitting tight. I bet the extra 10mm of travel on the rfx wont be a hindrance, especially with all the claimed efficiencies of the DW link.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not quite what I was after. I still think 140 mm in the rear would be sweet. Almost everyone says it feels like more than 140 mm.

I don't mind the BB spec on the new RFX. Sagged properly, It will be pretty low. Lower than the 5 Spot sagged properly with a big fork. The original Spot has a 13.25" BB. I do like the numbers on the new Enduro though. I am sure the new RFX will compete nicely with the Enduro.

idrivefun, How about 67* with the new 150 mm Revelation? That would put it at about 66.6* with the current crop of 160 mm forks.

TG

big-ted said:
I was thinking the same thing the other day. A lot of people round these parts are raving about the new Enduro and I got to thinking it would be good to have a Turner to fill that bracket. The thing is, that really is rfx territory. I think we'd be better off trying to convince DT to lower the BB a bit compared to the proposed geometry posted on the website and sitting tight. I bet the extra 10mm of travel on the rfx wont be a hindrance, especially with all the claimed efficiencies of the DW link.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My proposed Spot changes based on 525 A/C. I'd prefer it to be balanced and ride best with a 140-150 fork to match the rear travel.

Taper HT
1* slacker
Same wheelbase
Slightly shorter TT to attain same wheelbase
Same BB height or 13.5 w/525 A/C
Same STA
5" HT on large, proportionately shorter on smaller models
Rear TA options

I'm sure this could be done by changing the front triangle only, with the exception of the rear dropouts.

·
Banned
91 Posts
G-AIR said:
idrivefun, How about 67* with the new 150 mm Revelation? That would put it at about 66.6* with the current crop of 160 mm forks.

TG
Like it... I was thinking 66 with my 160 Lyrik for the downs, and drop the fork to 140 for the ups... 67 up, 66 down, 100% fun! And can we agree on another lb of beef to the junctions?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
idrivefun said:
Like it... I was thinking 66 with my 160 Lyrik for the downs, and drop the fork to 140 for the ups... 67 up, 66 down, 100% fun! And can we agree on another lb of beef to the junctions?
I like it, but I don't know if it really needs the extra beef. The older 5 Spots were ~6.2 lbs. with an RP3 shock. The new DW Spots seem a bit over built to me. I think they are ~ 7 lbs. Maybe DT didn't want any failures with the new design.

TG

·
Registered
999 Posts
G-AIR said:
What are the chances of DT building a true AM Spot? The current one seems to lean towards "trail riding" and the new RFX is going to have 170 mm of travel.

A lot of riders claim the quality of travel on the new DW Spot is just as capable as the older RFX. Why not create a new DW Spot with similar angles to the old RFX?

I know a lot of people are throwing 160 mm forks on their Spots but that puts the BB pretty high (14") for a 5" bike and slackens the SA quite a bit.

What I am looking for:
5 SPot that is built around the current 160 mm forks (545 A2C)
67* HA
73* SA
~13.5 BB
Tapered HT
ISCG bracket

Why?
I want a bike I can ride all day but still rip on the DH with Turner quality. I know the RFX is coming but 170 mm seems like a lot of travel to lug around all day and I would just end up building it up heavy.

TG
Great idea - I would bump rear travel to 150 for160.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
G-AIR said:

What I am looking for:
5 SPot that is built around the current 160 mm forks (545 A2C)
67* HA
73* SA
~13.5 BB
Tapered HT
ISCG bracket

Why?

TG
sounds like a bansheee spitfire. i'm loving the #'s on it

·
Registered
754 Posts
qbert2000 said:
sounds like a bansheee spitfire. i'm loving the #'s on it
I'd second the spitfire. I rode both side-by-side at interbike this year... the spitfires geo set the bike apart quite a bit from the 5 spot. It's a aggressive and slack feeling trailbike, and although low at 13.5, i didn't notice any pedal strikes. Feels much more stable than many 5" bikes due to the 67 degree head angle and lower BB. I really liked the suspension performance too...

It's not a turner, but it's also not $2500.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
NWfreeride said:
I'd second the spitfire. I rode both side-by-side at interbike this year... the spitfires geo set the bike apart quite a bit from the 5 spot. It's a aggressive and slack feeling trailbike, and although low at 13.5, i didn't notice any pedal strikes. Feels much more stable than many 5" bikes due to the 67 degree head angle and lower BB. I really liked the suspension performance too...

It's not a turner, but it's also not $2500.
i realise it's not made in the us but the price reflects that. their quality control and customer service is top notch and it will be my first purchase in the spring. i love the angles and design. not much of a risk at 1500 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
wouldn't he then have to call it a Six Spot? although - 150mm rear travel, 68 head angle with a 150mm Rev fork plus 13.5" BB and 73 seat angle would be perfect for me. Much slacker on the had angle and you are close to RFX territory.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Yeah Dave! Please design, prototype, and tool for a new frame that sits between the Spot and the RFX in your lineup! It will totally be worth it! You will sell like 9 of them in 2012 when they finally hit the stores after the RFX! Come on man, screw economics 101, build me a frame! Build US a frame!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Dusty Bottoms said:
Yeah Dave! Please design, prototype, and tool for a new frame that sits between the Spot and the RFX in your lineup! It will totally be worth it! You will sell like 9 of them in 2012 when they finally hit the stores after the RFX! Come on man, screw economics 101, build me a frame! Build US a frame!
RFX? What RFX? I've heard rumors. Maybe next year. Right now Turner has three bikes in their line up with little to no changes this year. Its interesting that Turner came out with all three of those bikes at once, under the radar, and now its taking them over two years to come out with the RFX.

Why not have another AM bike? The 5 Spot is Turner's best selling bike. The 140-150 mm travel bikes seem to be the biggest market segment. Knolly split the Endorphin into two different bikes. Banshee has the Pyre(?) and the Spitfire. Intense had the 6.6 and SS. Personally I think a slacker 5 Spot would sell better than a 170 mm RFX. The RFX will compete with bikes like the Reign X and Firebird. Those bikes don't sell that well compared to shorter travel bikes. I am sure the new RFX will carry a hefty price tag as well.

Its just the internet. Its OK to throw out ideas. Never asked DT to make me a new bike. Just thinking out loud. I guess I will go back to checking out the Spitfire.

TG

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
i wasn't suggesting a new frame from turner, just advising that the new spitfire met most of the op's wants. turner's busy enough with the dhr and rfx. another bike would take years to get to market. maybe the numbers on the spitfire seem like a niche market to you, but the 1st batch is almost already sold out before they hit the market. the 5 spot fits some people's idea of a perfect trailbike, but not everyones. that's how there's a bigger market than just what turner's lineup fits

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
G-AIR said:
RFX? What RFX? I've heard rumors. Maybe next year. Right now Turner has three bikes in their line up with little to no changes this year. Its interesting that Turner came out with all three of those bikes at once, under the radar, and now its taking them over two years to come out with the RFX.

Why not have another AM bike? The 5 Spot is Turner's best selling bike. The 140-150 mm travel bikes seem to be the biggest market segment. Knolly split the Endorphin into two different bikes. Banshee has the Pyre(?) and the Spitfire. Intense had the 6.6 and SS. Personally I think a slacker 5 Spot would sell better than a 170 mm RFX. The RFX will compete with bikes like the Reign X and Firebird. Those bikes don't sell that well compared to shorter travel bikes. I am sure the new RFX will carry a hefty price tag as well.

Its just the internet. Its OK to throw out ideas. Never asked DT to make me a new bike. Just thinking out loud. I guess I will go back to checking out the Spitfire.

TG
Well, Turner now has the AM Flux:thumbsup:

Problem solved. :lol:

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.